News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Assuming the 4th overall pick….

Started by andrew_nyGiants, November 08, 2023, 07:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

Marvin Harrison Jr is there, Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are not... what should Schoen do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

AYM

Take Harrison. Figure out the other stuff later.

Doc16LT56

Depends on how the big OTs grade out. Jonathan Ogden was drafted the same year as Harrison's dad. If you have a chance at a Jonathan Ogden you take him ahead of Harrison or Keyshawn or anyone else who isn't a QB and isn't named Lawrence Taylor. If the OTs aren't Ogden special, then you take Harrison.

kingm56

If it's anything other than a QB, it's a massive failure.  You simply can't figure out the QB later and be successful; this a QB rich draft...the time is now. 

SlotCorner

This assumes Schoen stays pat. If they are at 4 and think one of the three teams above them is picking the QB they like, they need to trade up. Besides the need, it is rare you are in within striking distance of the top pick in any case.

With Jones tearing his ACL and DeVito likely starting at least two more games, The Athletic has the Giants as most likely to get the top pick anyway.

4 Aces

If they have a conviction on a QB, they should package the #4 overall, a 2nd round pick, and next year's #1 to move up to #1 overall and get their guy. Just like they did with Eli.

andrew_nyGiants

Is there a QB out there who isn't Maye or Williams, worthy of #4 overall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MightyGiants

If you believe you are drafting a QB who is elite and will be a "win because of" type, then you go QB.  If you are choosing between an elite WR prospect and a QB you see as a "can win with," you have to take the WR.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

If they're picking 4th overall, and they like Maye and Williams much more than any other QB, they should do everything their power to move up to the top 2. I'm not saying they'll be able to, but I'd be prepared to pay over the top to do it. You simply can't put a price on the value of getting a legitimate franchise QB who you strongly believe can be a top 7 or 8 QB in the league. It is of almost immeasurable value.

So assuming they tried to do that but couldn't do the trade, it would come down to who their third favorite QB is and how high they were on that individual. If they assess that Williams and Maye are both elite prospects and everyone else is just "decent" at best, and that nobody else is going even in the top 10, then you either take another position or trade down.

I think it is unlikely though that they won't be interested in any QB other than Williams or Maye. There are other good prospects in this class. I'm not advocating that they use the 4th pick in the draft on someone they think is going to be the next Ryan Tannehill, but I somewhat doubt they won't find themselves being fairly high on a third guy. If they're not, then they should either trade down substantially or take the best player at another premium position. But this should only happen if they have truly gone all-in on trying to trade up to get one of those top two. They should be fully prepared to win a bidding war to make that happen, if need be.

Gman329

With the pride of Don Bosco at QB the rest of the way, and they will start to give some of the young guys more playing time, sitting semi-injured players like Thomas, rather than risk greater injury, we'll draft higher than 4th and there's even a decent shot we get the #1 spot. 

madbadger

Chicago will likely have two of the top four picks and will use one on a quarterback. The other team is likely to be the Cardinals who have already let it leak that they're sticking with Murray if for no other reason than because of his contract. So unless someone convinces one of those two to trade their pick one of the two should be available. Even then like with Eli we should be looking to trade up ourselves to ensure they get one of those guys.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: kingm56 on November 08, 2023, 08:56:24 AMIf it's anything other than a QB, it's a massive failure.  You simply can't figure out the QB later and be successful; this a QB rich draft...the time is now.

Funny, I have the exact opposite position.  Taking a QB would be a massive failure, for me.  In this era a team has limited resources made up of 2 parts, CAP and draft capital.  20% of their CAP space for 2024 is irrevocably committed to the QB1.  A top 5 pick represents about half to 2/3rds of their draft capital.  Trading up for a QB would just make it worse.  Spending that on a QB would completely unbalance the team.  Plus it would get a promising young QB killed.  They need to build a quality roster, not look for a savior.  There will be plenty of time to get a QB, particularly if they trade down and get a 2025 first rounder as part of the deal.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

katkavage

Quote from: SlotCorner on November 08, 2023, 09:30:16 AMThis assumes Schoen stays pat. If they are at 4 and think one of the three teams above them is picking the QB they like, they need to trade up. Besides the need, it is rare you are in within striking distance of the top pick in any case.

With Jones tearing his ACL and DeVito likely starting at least two more games, The Athletic has the Giants as most likely to get the top pick anyway.
Get your man even it requires next year's first. See Ernie Accorsi and 2004.

brownelvis54

Three scenarios here:

1-Draft Harrison Jr and in the 2nd round get a QB (Bo Nix)

2-Draft J.J. McCarthy

3-Take a gamble and trade back (not too far) and HOPE J.J. McCarthy is there when we pick in the 1st round
The KING is in the building

Doc16LT56

Quote from: brownelvis54 on November 08, 2023, 11:58:25 AMThree scenarios here:

1-Draft Harrison Jr and in the 2nd round get a QB (Bo Nix)

2-Draft J.J. McCarthy

3-Take a gamble and trade back (not too far) and HOPE J.J. McCarthy is there when we pick in the 1st round

Yes, everyone wants one of the big-2 QBs but the original question in this thread asked us to assume that ship has sailed and we can't get one of those two QBs. So you've laid out the three most likely scenarios. I would add a fourth option would be to draft an elite OLT if he grades out that high.

My personal feeling is to avoid taking the 3rd best QB unless you are absolutely convinced that he has top-5 QB potential. I don't want another Daniel Jones situation where we sacrifice half a decade on a guy with some nice traits who isn't good enough to put it all together on the field.