News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Assuming the 4th overall pick….

Started by andrew_nyGiants, November 08, 2023, 07:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Way to early dream 1st 3 rounds

1 JJ Mccarthy QB Michigan
2 Andrew Mukuba S Clemson
2 Tre Harris WR Ole Miss
3 Audric Estime RB Notre Dame

brownelvis54

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 08, 2023, 12:09:30 PMYes, everyone wants one of the big-2 QBs but the original question in this thread asked us to assume that ship has sailed and we can't get one of those two QBs. So you've laid out the three most likely scenarios. I would add a fourth option would be to draft an elite OLT if he grades out that high.

My personal feeling is to avoid taking the 3rd best QB unless you are absolutely convinced that he has top-5 QB potential. I don't want another Daniel Jones situation where we sacrifice half a decade on a guy with some nice traits who isn't good enough to put it all together on the field.

Agreed. Watch the Penn st vs Michigan, this Saturday. Two very good QBs. Watch McCarthy and the Penn St QB will most likely be the #1 pick in the 2025 draft.
The KING is in the building

AYM

Quote from: kingm56 on November 08, 2023, 08:56:24 AMIf it's anything other than a QB, it's a massive failure.  You simply can't figure out the QB later and be successful; this a QB rich draft...the time is now.

You don't want to reach for a QB in that spot, either. There are plenty of players I'd rather have than Trey Lance, for example.

files58

The race is on for the bottom. Based on recent past performance one would think that both DeVito and Barkley(Matt) have a limited "shelf" life eventually leaving the QB role to one of us. I don't see the Giants winning another game which will include the carnage this coming Sunday in big D. So that leaves us at 2-15(ouch), and if the Bears, and Cardinals outlose us mazel tov to them on their accomplishment. So where does that leave Schoen & Daboll Inc.? First, notice how silent Mara is. We can hope that after he wipes himself with the paper that his compromise contract(2 yr out) to Jones is written on he tells Schoen & Daboll Inc. I'll hold up my end of the bargain and get out of your way, you have free reign. We can all now exhale. I am as an amateur scout now somewhat less enamored with the prohibitive favorite 1-2 QB picks. One would have to think that S&D will have a 3rd and 4th choice of QB that they feel can be developed. It's not what they've done in college(hype and all), but where Daboll thinks a prospect has the right tools he can help develop. Think Brock Purdy per se. If we land on #3 either trade out to no lower than 6 or 7 for a boatload of picks, or pluck Marvin Harrison Jr., and get your QB later. I love draft capital, and draft picks. They spell HOPE for me, and frankly that's all we have right now.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 08, 2023, 12:09:30 PMYes, everyone wants one of the big-2 QBs but the original question in this thread asked us to assume that ship has sailed and we can't get one of those two QBs. So you've laid out the three most likely scenarios. I would add a fourth option would be to draft an elite OLT if he grades out that high.

My personal feeling is to avoid taking the 3rd best QB unless you are absolutely convinced that he has top-5 QB potential. I don't want another Daniel Jones situation where we sacrifice half a decade on a guy with some nice traits who isn't good enough to put it all together on the field.

Agreed.

Would you agree though that it's worth throwing the kitchen sink at a trade offer for Chicago (or whomever) for one of those top two picks, provided:

(1) The GM absolutely believes both of them have what it takes to be stars, and

(2) A trade is possible (albeit there may be one or more other suitor)

Philosophers

With DeVito now starting, the #1 pick is a possibility.

madbadger

Quote from: brownelvis54 on November 08, 2023, 11:58:25 AMThree scenarios here:

1-Draft Harrison Jr and in the 2nd round get a QB (Bo Nix)

2-Draft J.J. McCarthy

3-Take a gamble and trade back (not too far) and HOPE J.J. McCarthy is there when we pick in the 1st round

In a quarterback needy league I don't think Nix lasts till the second round. If McCarthy has a top 10 grade and the other two are gone they should take him. I don't like the idea of trading back if there's a hood quarterback left on the board. I'd rather see them slightly overpay than to play games and lose a guy that can get us headed to where we want to go.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Philosophers on November 08, 2023, 01:44:34 PMWith DeVito now starting, the #1 pick is a possibility.

Yes, in fact, The Athletic has rearranged their draft predictions and now have the Giants getting the 1st overall pick...mostly due to their assumptions on Devito and the easier schedule for the other bottom feeders

I was in Syracuse all morning and got into a conversation with another football fan (cowboy fan  :sick: ). He laughed that we took Devito. He said, he "wasn't good when he played for Syracuse, why do the Giants think he can be an NFL QB".....just one man's opinion, but as an SU fan, I can attest to the fact that Devito didn't exactly set the dome on fire. Don't want to knock the kid, but there's a reason he wasn't drafted
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Take Harrison, Jr. He's a far better player than any of the remaining QB's.

In fact, he's also better than the two QB's already taken (repeating myself).

Also, you get your QB once you have a team that gives him a fair chance to succeed (also repeating myself).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Gmo11

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 08, 2023, 02:10:52 PMTake Harrison, Jr. He's a far better player than any of the remaining QB's.

In fact, he's also better than the two QB's already taken (repeating myself).

Also, you get your QB once you have a team that gives him a fair chance to succeed (also repeating myself).

Bob

That line of thinking makes sense when everything lines up perfectly but that rarely happens.  The Giants by virtue of stinking up the place this season have positioned themselves to be able to draft one of the top QBs coming out in a QB heavy draft.  It's quite literally the only good thing about this god forsaken season.  They can't pass up that chance because they are a year behind schedule.  Because we saw last year, even terrible teams can catch some breaks and win some games and all of a sudden a mostly lousy team is now in the playoffs without any hope of drafting a QB for the future.

If they only feel 2 QBs are worth tying their careers two, and both of them are gone, then I imagine they do go with Harrison and try to find somebody like Baker Mayfield who may not be special but could be good enough with the right pieces around him.  Not ideal but better than taking a QB that shouldn't be taken that high.  See Jones, Daniel for that precedent.

I expect them to easily fall into the top 3 and probably the top 2.  And if that's the case they will absolutely take a QB.  Even if they let that QB sit to start the season while Jones takes yet another beating.  From the minute Schoen got here 2024 was the target for when the tide would start to turn.  Unfortunately they won so many games last year some expectations got shifted, including by the front office, and they tried to adjust the plan by keeping Jones/Barkley.  In retrospect a mistake but not one that should cost them too much provided they come out of this next draft with a stud QB that can lead this team for the next decade. 

Dgoodmantrublu

Having a WR with no QB is useless. They need to get a QB at all costs in this draft.

JT39

Run to the podium and take Harrison, trade back in the first round and take the QB.

babywhales

The Giants need a QB and the Qb needs more than Thomas and the hope of developing our center.  There must get a competent and effective RT and another Guard.

Harrison will be a stud for sure but no one needs a WR when you do not have a QB and a line.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Doc16LT56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 08, 2023, 01:24:33 PMAgreed.

Would you agree though that it's worth throwing the kitchen sink at a trade offer for Chicago (or whomever) for one of those top two picks, provided:

(1) The GM absolutely believes both of them have what it takes to be stars, and

(2) A trade is possible (albeit there may be one or more other suitor)
100% you make the trade if your guy is there.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: SlotCorner on November 08, 2023, 09:30:16 AMThis assumes Schoen stays pat. If they are at 4 and think one of the three teams above them is picking the QB they like, they need to trade up.

If a team above us is taking the QB we like, that means they like him, as well. What makes you think they'd be willing to trade out and lose the guy they want?

I've always found it curious how easy fans make trading up seem.