News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Assuming the 4th overall pick….

Started by andrew_nyGiants, November 08, 2023, 07:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stringer Bell

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on November 08, 2023, 09:53:01 AMIs there a QB out there who isn't Maye or Williams, worthy of #4 overall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Absolutely not. Which is ironic, because my guess is many of the fans clamoring that QB is a must draft position are also the ones who felt the Giants reached for DJ.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 08, 2023, 10:41:44 AMFunny, I have the exact opposite position.  Taking a QB would be a massive failure, for me.  In this era a team has limited resources made up of 2 parts, CAP and draft capital.  20% of their CAP space for 2024 is irrevocably committed to the QB1.  A top 5 pick represents about half to 2/3rds of their draft capital.  Trading up for a QB would just make it worse.  Spending that on a QB would completely unbalance the team.  Plus it would get a promising young QB killed.  They need to build a quality roster, not look for a savior.  There will be plenty of time to get a QB, particularly if they trade down and get a 2025 first rounder as part of the deal.

Completely agree! Reaching for a subpar talent at QB would set this franchise's rebuild back several years.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Stringer Bell on November 08, 2023, 03:02:51 PMIf a team above us is taking the QB we like, that means they like him, as well. What makes you think they'd be willing to trade out and lose the guy they want?

I've always found it curious how easy fans make trading up seem.

Obviously if they like him too they're not going to trade down.  The idea would be to move up so they don't trade down with someone else (in the event that they don't intend to take him).

I have advocated doing whatever it takes to trade up to get the QB we want, but I have consistently caveated it with "if possible." I never said or implied it was easy. I appreciate you may not have been directing that last comment my way, but I just want to make my view clear on this anyway.

Dgoodmantrublu

I firmly believe we'll be in the top 2. If we tie with Arizona, we'll likely be ahead of them because their strength of schedule may be harder than ours. So we probably just need them to win one game. Maybe two. Bears and Carolina play Thursday and both have other winnable games. And they don't have the injuries the Giants do. So I do think the Giants will be in a spot to get one of the top two guys.

katkavage

Quote from: Stringer Bell on November 08, 2023, 03:05:51 PMCompletely agree! Reaching for a subpar talent at QB would set this franchise's rebuild back several years.
That's on Schoen. He has to put his rep on the line. The franchise would indeed be set back (though hard to go back further than they are now). And Schoen would lose his job and most likely a career. We fans don't make the pick. He does. I don't think he will do what Gettleman did in reaching for a subpar QB just to have a QB.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Stringer Bell on November 08, 2023, 03:05:51 PMCompletely agree! Reaching for a subpar talent at QB would set this franchise's rebuild back several years.

I think it's a mistake to take a QB even if they aren't a sub-par talent.  Because the reality that some have spent 5 years ignoring, because of their bias against DJ, is that the Giants have a roster that is seriously sub-par.  And until they fix THAT, no QB is going to come in and be the saviour, and expending huge amounts of draft capital and CAP space to get a saviour that won't save them is going to come at a serious cost towards fixing that sub-par roster.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

SlotCorner

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 08, 2023, 04:42:01 PMI think it's a mistake to take a QB even if they aren't a sub-par talent.  Because the reality that some have spent 5 years ignoring, because of their bias against DJ, is that the Giants have a roster that is seriously sub-par.  And until they fix THAT, no QB is going to come in and be the saviour, and expending huge amounts of draft capital and CAP space to get a saviour that won't save them is going to come at a serious cost towards fixing that sub-par roster.

A rookie QB is going to be on a rookie contract, which leaves plenty of cap room to build other areas of the team. In fact, having a decent QB on a rookie contract is an incredible competitive advantage, given what even mediocre QBs demand on the market. We will have some dead money after next year from now after we let DJ go but that is unavoidable at this point.

Also, pretend we do as you say and build the rest of the team first. Great, now we've got a team good enough to win 8 or 9 games, but not good enough to compete in the playoffs without a stud QB. Moving from 10 or 11 spots to the within striking distance of a great QB is either going to be impossible or cost more in picks and players than makes sense. Or we can hope to strike gold in a later-round QB who turns out to be great, but that's a winning lotto ticket.

There is a decent core here now. We've got pro bowl (or pro bowl deserving players) at OL, DL, LB (Okereke), CB (Banks) and RB. Now is the time while the opportunity presents itself to go get the franchise guy, like we did in 2004.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 08, 2023, 02:10:52 PMTake Harrison, Jr. He's a far better player than any of the remaining QB's.

In fact, he's also better than the two QB's already taken (repeating myself).

Also, you get your QB once you have a team that gives him a fair chance to succeed (also repeating myself).

Bob

I agree, and I also believe they aren't totally giving up on DJ. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a QB late 2nd or third round to groom, but they aren't quitting on DJ until they know he doesn't have the goods. He would be more durable if he wasn't constantly being smashed to the ground because the line can't hold

Harrison is a once in a lifetime receiver and would be our no.1 right out of the gate, opening up Hyatt, Robinson, etc. You run to the podium for him if the possibility presents itself. They'd probably cut Slayton to save money and move Hyatt into his slot...IMHO
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Dgoodmantrublu

How can you not know at this point. Jones was awful this year before being hurt and he has never had a truly good season in five years. It is time to move on. Especially when the team will finally be in position to get a true franchise guy. Passing on that chance would be gross negligence.

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 08, 2023, 05:14:50 PMI agree, and I also believe they aren't totally giving up on DJ. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a QB late 2nd or third round to groom, but they aren't quitting on DJ until they know he doesn't have the goods. He would be more durable if he wasn't constantly being smashed to the ground because the line can't hold

Harrison is a once in a lifetime receiver and would be our no.1 right out of the gate, opening up Hyatt, Robinson, etc. You run to the podium for him if the possibility presents itself. They'd probably cut Slayton to save money and move Hyatt into his slot...IMHO

Doc16LT56

Don't draft a franchise QB because the team stinks? Lol, now I've heard it all. If that were even remotely true they should go ahead and disband the franchise now.

Dgoodmantrublu

Hyatt gets open deep every game. QB misses throws except for a couple of games with Tyrod. But sure. Don't draft a QB. Because somehow nothing is ever the fault of the Daniel Jones. Have to give him 10 years to get it.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 08, 2023, 05:35:48 PMDon't draft a franchise QB because the team stinks? Lol, now I've heard it all. If that were even remotely true they should go ahead and disband the franchise now.

Seriously.

People are overthinking this. If you don't have your QB of the future, which we clearly don't, and you're in a position to draft a QB you have graded as a franchise QB, there really isn't much thought involved after that.

Dgoodmantrublu

A lot of Giants fans wanted the team to draft Robert Gallery or Sean Taylor in 2004 instead of Eli. Boy were they wrong. And the people wanting the team not to draft a franchise QB are equally wrong now.

Painter

My Three Uns

Unprepared, Unmotivated, Unfortunate

The first two are largely a matter of opinion; the third can be viewed as more a matter of fact.
While it may be seen as "splitting hairs" to distinguish between the words, unfortunate and unlucky, as both are a consequent of chance, I find use in applying the former to an event, and the latter to an individual.
More particularly, while I would essentially absolve individual players and staff from blame for current and past injury history, I cannot conclude the same for the events which have given cause to the serious dilemma now facing the Giants and their fans.

I don't really know why, but on Monday I posted a summary of the Giants Win/Loss records from 1925 to the present- regular seasons, playoffs, and championships. In so doing, however, it occurred to me that through the first 9 games, this season has a good chance to rank among the worst- certainly most unprepared, unmotivated- in team history beginning with the 0-40 loss to the Cows on opening day.

Moreover, while they have somehow managed to win 2 games, they have thus far scored the fewest points and have the League's only triple-digit negative scoring differential. That does tend to mute any thought that they were only truly non-competitive in the first and the latest of those 9 games. And so, as it now stands, then where are the Giants? Do we have any idea beyond the conundrum, the resident elephant who wears No.10 and answers to Danny Dimes?

It's really not yet  about Coaching issues or Saquon's future, or when can they field an above average Defense, or a better than Division 2 Oline? It's all about Daniel Jones. They began the season believing that he was worth $160 million as a starting and winning Quarterback while now with no such confirmation, no certainty about when he will be able to be able to play again next year, they are guaranteed to have to pay him more than half that total amount.

In the meantime, having added nothing of obvious value to the position or the team since, we can either show some discipline and let the season play out as it will or begin an orgy of speculation as to how high from 5 or 6, and at what cost, they will need to trade up (with DaBears?) for one of this year's so called, "sure things" if the Flaw of Averages doesn't intervene.

I suppose if we look at QB success rate by draft position 1-16 over past 25 years, the odds are about 80 percent favorable, about 65 pct. 17-32. Very quickly thereafter it goes from not good to bloody awful.

Me? I'm just gonna watch and let others, who feel otherwise, tie themselves in knots

Cheers!

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on November 08, 2023, 07:44:50 AMMarvin Harrison Jr is there, Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are not... what should Schoen do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If both Williams and Maye are gone , the team with the 3rd pick would pick Harrison so he would be gone .