News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Assuming the 4th overall pick….

Started by andrew_nyGiants, November 08, 2023, 07:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dgoodmantrublu

If we actually have pick one or two, we can get two really good prospects in round 2. Not having to trade up for that QB will be a huge help. I'd expect an OL and Edge prospect in round 2 in this scenario. Unless a really good WR drops into range, which is very possible.

T200

Quote from: Painter on November 09, 2023, 01:54:19 PMIs there anything more obvious than that, Joseph?

As Eli had just one winning season in his last 8 and went 9-26 at the end, it was not unreasonable for Gettleman to look to the Draft for a new starting QB. While by no means was everyone here happy when he used the overall No.2 pick on a RB even one as talented as Saquon, in hindsight, it doesn't seem all that likely that he would have come away with a Josh Allen instead of a Mayfield, Darnold, or Rosen or even less likely, Lamar Jackson.

While I personally believe that Gman would have grabbed Justin Herbert had he even expected him to be available the following year, I was not dismayed when he had not much choice but to take Daniel Jones with the 6th overall pick. Indeed, in watching DJ's Duke tapes where he looked like an Eli clone playing on a not very good team, I saw a lot of positives.

Even now, with his having had to play with a team with an often unimpressive lineup, with some questionable coaching, and nothing close to a history of consistently winning seasons, now compounded by serious durability concerns, I'm not interested in labeling DJ a bust, nor Schoen/Daboll for giving him the big 4-year deal.

That said, it doesn't alter the enormous challenge that all concerned now face nor make it any more certain that using whatever turns out to be their 1st Round pick on a new QB will prove to be the solution As I have said so often is that the NFL is, if nothing else, unpredictable.

Not that we need proof of such, but for Giants fans all that should be needed is to reflect on the fact that Eli Manning, whose regular season record has been described as "profoundly mediocre", somehow managed to win 2 Lombos by beating the Pats and their otherwise seemingly invincible GOAT.

Cheers!

Nice post, Larry.

As much as I still revel in it and watch the replays when they show them, my reticence is that it takes me closer to 'Cowboys Territory' than I want to be.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jclayton92

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 09, 2023, 01:59:22 PMJ: They need to acknowledge it to themselves (if they didn't already). I don't think they'll ever admit it to us.

Sure, most of us here would probably say OK, let's move on with the improvement phase (yet again).

But IMO they think it will hurt business over all (fewer hot dogs and paraphernalia sold, etc.) and maybe the owners don't want to criticize any acts by past employees, because that would make it even harder to hire GM's and coaches for the team than I believe it already is.

And it'd open Pandora's box (an apology might become expected even for future errors, even if inconsequential).

Last, the bunker mentality IMO will never change, not only because they may be "stubborn" in that regard, but also because almost every team operates with a bunker mentality, so they are IMO in line with the crowd (a good place for those who may not know what they're doing to hide).

Bob
Just acknowledging that they were further along than they realized and that we are rebuilding is good for me. We are not that far off.

New medical/training staff
QB
Guard and tackle in FA
Pass rushers a 2A and 3rd rotational guy
Rb
Safety by FA or draft

Wr If you can to finish off the young trio

Dgoodmantrublu

If you get a top QB, your team doesn't have to fill all the holes. Eli took a very mediocre team to a Super Bowl championship in 2011. Mahomes is carrying a Chiefs team with big problems at WR. Burrow took a Bengals team with a horrid OL to the Super Bowl. We are going to take a big jump next year if we get the right QB.

Painter

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 09, 2023, 02:13:11 PMIf you get a top QB, your team doesn't have to fill all the holes. Eli took a very mediocre team to a Super Bowl championship in 2011. Mahomes is carrying a Chiefs team with big problems at WR. Burrow took a Bengals team with a horrid OL to the Super Bowl. We are going to take a big jump next year if we get the right QB.

I am sorry to have to repeat Dandy Don Merrideth's favorite saying: "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas" but if is and will always be the operative word when it comes to projecting then to now, now to future, and if to gift. How that is not always clear to us, those whose only ability is in second-guessing after the fact, is due it would seem to our "need to believe" and thus to sustain our fan-atic-dom.

Cheers!

babywhales

Quote from: Stringer Bell on November 09, 2023, 12:40:51 PMI would break my TV if they drafted a TE at #4.

If they take a TE I would lose all faith in this team
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S