News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants in one word: UNDISCIPLINED

Started by brownelvis54, November 08, 2023, 12:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Sorry late to the party. As some of you know I work at a major hospital and was there both Saturday and Sunday 13hours each. Then two more days...off today. I did, as always record the game and watched it late Sunday night. I had a feeling Giants could lose the game but wanted to see the game regardless. (some idiot said Rob you watching the game? I said I am recording it, he says don't be mad when you watch it) WHY do people do that? I said I am recording, and he says that crap.

Anyways I digress, Watching the game with my wife, I could not help but see on all sides of the ball. defense, offense, special teams....the Giants looked undisciplined. Neal moving on 4th and inches, route running, tackling, pass coverage...Aidan O'Connell a round 4 pick was tearing our asses up. We looked lost. I got so bad that I was actually rooting for the Raiders to pile it on. Why? Because I wanted NY media and fans to rip a new one in the Giants ownership, down to players ass. Our team is a joke, that's simply not funny anymore.

I believe it was Rich who asked "is Daboll on the hot seat". I say maybe, if a coach loses a locker room, then the GM has no choice, but to move on. Only once in my life have I ever seen a locker room go sour against the coach and that coach modifies his behavior and turns the team around. That guy was Tom Coughlin. I remember when Daboll was hired, much was made up of him trying to get to know all players personably, trying to be one of the guys. When players mess up you can see the coach yelling and visibly upset, throwing an ipad. I cant help wonder, did Daboll lose the locker room?
The KING is in the building

AYM

I don't think much of Daboll right now, I think he's a 6-1 start followed by Joe Judge level coaching.

That being said, losing this locker room is no big deal, most of them need to go anyway.

Gmo11

I just don't know what else he could have done.  When you're getting QB play the level that he's gotten this season it doesn't matter if you're Parcells, Belichick, Shanahan, Coughlin or anybody else.   You're going to lose and it's going to be ugly.  I wouldn't expect the Giants to be in many more games this year as long as Devito is starting so you can't really turn around and fire another coach after his 2nd season when THIS is the second season.

Last season just about every possible break went the Giants way.  Including getting to play Minnesota in the playoffs.  This year just about every possible break is going against them.  Next year...maybe they split the difference and look a lot better with a brand new QB leading the way and if so, Daboll will all of a sudden be a genius coach of the year again.

Ed Vette

I don't believe he lost the team, Rob. I think what happened was that he came in after a disciplinarian in Joe Judge. When Judge continued to lose and he created a rift internally, they stopped listening to him. In comes Brian Daboll who has a likable personality and found a way to create a balance where he was liked and respected, where expectations for this team were low. He was able to win games against a weak schedule by dumbing down the Offense for Jones and cutting down on turnovers and mistakes. Plus he was aggressive and lucky. Coming off a XXXXX in Judge, he was a God-sent.

They won a playoff game with a good plan against a weak defensive opponent. The season ended badly but there were excuses to fall back on.

Weapons were added and other talent was added through the draft and by trades. The expectation by everyone was that they would take the next step on a new turf that would cut down on injuries. Knowing that most of the team was returning in the second year of both Offensive and Defensive systems, the approach was to ease into the season to minimize injuries and extend stamina to the peak of the season.

A miserable loss on Opening Day to Dallas brought this team down to earth and to the fact that they were not prepared for the season. 

Then injuries happened. Jones was unable to do what his Coaches believed he could do and that was to read Defenses on Option Routes, move through his progressions, identify the Hot Read, and release the ball for timely completions. The fact is that he was never able to and won't ever be able to do it. Confused, he caved under pressure. Tyrod Taylor comes in after the neck injury and it becomes very apparent that DJ was one of the key problems. They like Jones and respect Jones but they then lost confidence in Jones.

When Leo Williams was traded, the Defense lost one of its dominant vocal leaders, on a team with many Chiefs who in some cases are just not leaders. Every team will have silent strong resilient players and a couple of weak-minded players when the going gets tough. When the weak-minded start to become a locker room cancer, the HC has to nip it and must be supported by The GM. If you recall, "In Reese We Trust" didn't support McAdoo or Coughlin. Gettleman didn't support Judge.

Pay attention to how McKinney is being handled. He not only ran his mouth, but he gave up on a play that resulted in an inevitable TD to protect himself. He needs to be benched this game and perhaps the rest of the season.

When TC had his pivotal years, he fired Hufnagel and then his DC. Daboll and Schoen have to make changes in that staff. If they don't they both won't survive. The team is undisciplined because of poor coaching and leadership at the unit and coordinator levels. They need to elevate men like Micah McFadden, Bobby Okereke, Jalin Hyatt, JMS, and whoever is laying it on the line every game. Everyone here said it. Too many Captains and a poor mix.

Schoen made some terrific moves but he also made bad decisions. I suspect he was trying to please Mara when he tagged Saquon and signed Jones. In Retro, he should have done the opposite.

I see Daboll and Schoen tied at the hip. They get one more year.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

brownelvis54

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 08, 2023, 01:54:58 PMI don't believe he lost the team, Rob. I think what happened was that he came in after a disciplinarian in Joe Judge. When Judge continued to lose and he created a rift internally, they stopped listening to him. In comes Brian Daboll who has a likable personality and found a way to create a balance where he was liked and respected, where expectations for this team were low. He was able to win games against a weak schedule by dumbing down the Offense for Jones and cutting down on turnovers and mistakes. Plus he was aggressive and lucky. Coming off a XXXXX in Judge, he was a God-sent.

They won a playoff game with a good plan against a weak defensive opponent. The season ended badly but there were excuses to fall back on.

Weapons were added and other talent was added through the draft and by trades. The expectation by everyone was that they would take the next step on a new turf that would cut down on injuries. Knowing that most of the team was returning in the second year of both Offensive and Defensive systems, the approach was to ease into the season to minimize injuries and extend stamina to the peak of the season.

A miserable loss on Opening Day to Dallas brought this team down to earth and to the fact that they were not prepared for the season. 

Then injuries happened. Jones was unable to do what his Coaches believed he could do and that was to read Defenses on Option Routes, move through his progressions, identify the Hot Read, and release the ball for timely completions. The fact is that he was never able to and won't ever be able to do it. Confused, he caved under pressure. Tyrod Taylor comes in after the neck injury and it becomes very apparent that DJ was one of the key problems. They like Jones and respect Jones but they then lost confidence in Jones.

When Leo Williams was traded, the Defense lost one of its dominant vocal leaders, on a team with many Chiefs who in some cases are just not leaders. Every team will have silent strong resilient players and a couple of weak-minded players when the going gets tough. When the weak-minded start to become a locker room cancer, the HC has to nip it and must be supported by The GM. If you recall, "In Reese We Trust" didn't support McAdoo or Coughlin. Gettleman didn't support Judge.

Pay attention to how McKinney is being handled. He not only ran his mouth, but he gave up on a play that resulted in an inevitable TD to protect himself. He needs to be benched this game and perhaps the rest of the season.

When TC had his pivotal years, he fired Hufnagel and then his DC. Daboll and Schoen have to make changes in that staff. If they don't they both won't survive. The team is undisciplined because of poor coaching and leadership at the unit and coordinator levels. They need to elevate men like Micah McFadden, Bobby Okereke, Jalin Hyatt, JMS, and whoever is laying it on the line every game. Everyone here said it. Too many Captains and a poor mix.

Schoen made some terrific moves but he also made bad decisions. I suspect he was trying to please Mara when he tagged Saquon and signed Jones. In Retro, he should have done the opposite.

Solid post Ed. I like Jones (the person too), its clear, he is not the guy. McKinney? yeah he's done IMO.Schoen is back al east two more years, Daboll? Unless he lost the locker room, I can see him back too
The KING is in the building

kartanoman

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 08, 2023, 01:54:58 PMI don't believe he lost the team, Rob. I think what happened was that he came in after a disciplinarian in Joe Judge. When Judge continued to lose and he created a rift internally, they stopped listening to him. In comes Brian Daboll who has a likable personality and found a way to create a balance where he was liked and respected, where expectations for this team were low. He was able to win games against a weak schedule by dumbing down the Offense for Jones and cutting down on turnovers and mistakes. Plus he was aggressive and lucky. Coming off a XXXXX in Judge, he was a God-sent.

I enjoyed reading this post and thank you for taking the time to craft it together for us.

Of interest, the injuries, the Giants have been decimated but has anyone else noticed, when playing at the Sardine Can, their opponents are also going down in flames. To top it all, when it rains, it seems to make matters even worse. Has there been feedback from around the league on the turf and the number of injuries sustained on it thus far?

But I like your assessment on cleaning out the players who don't want to be here and play those who are working hard and deserve the playing time to develop for next season. That's why the McFaddens need to be out there.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)