News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones’ future.

Started by andrew_nyGiants, November 08, 2023, 02:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Quote from: B1GBLUE on November 10, 2023, 02:09:25 PMthis is the number one reason im not all in one tanking and getting a qb #1 overall. how does it help us? i asked a question on one of the facebook groups earlier. lets say theoretically caleb had come out same year as jones. we picked caleb. EVERY other scenario over the last 5 years is exactly the same. how many more games would we have won?

and thats why i personally feel picking a qb right now that high, doesnt really help us much. too many other holes. could it be great for the future? sure. but with how much we'd have to give up to get that high most likely, we could fill a lot of other holes.
That's an apples to oranges comparison though so it doesn't work. Daniel Jones wasn't broken, he just wasn't an elite or even great qb that compounded on a bad team. Because if we take an elite Qb from the past 5 years instead of Jones we are a completely different franchise right now.

Look what Joe Burrow did for the a horrible Bengals team. Elite Qbs cover up a ton of warts and make bad teams good, and great teams elite.

Just because Jones was a huge bust doesn't mean another Qb would have been.

SlotCorner

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 10, 2023, 04:25:01 PMJust because Jones was a huge bust doesn't mean another Qb would have been.

Exactly. Are we arguing never to pick a QB? Jones was overdrafted at 6. For five years now, we've wondered if Jones is the guy and in the second year of the same system he was supposed to take a step up and hasn't.

Teams get this wrong every year. The last time we got it right was almost 20 years ago now. If Schoen and Daboll get it wrong next year, they'll be replaced by someone else.

kingm56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 10, 2023, 03:49:52 PMI guess Joe Burrow isn't a top QB.

CJ stroud is also putting up unbelievable numbers, playing on a bad team.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on November 10, 2023, 05:54:17 PMCJ stroud is also putting up unbelievable numbers, playing on a bad team.

And Tua is leading the MVP race per the betting markets.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 10, 2023, 05:57:03 PMAnd Tua is leading the MVP race per the betting markets.
It's all perception. Qb is all that matters you either have one or you don't.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 10, 2023, 03:49:52 PMI guess Joe Burrow isn't a top QB.

You're right, I missed him.  So, 2 of about 10.  And lots of guys drafted ahead of the other guys turned out to not be elite.  So while I made an error the larger point still holds.

Mahomes - 10th, 2nd qb
Burrow - 1st, 1st qb
Allen - 7th, 3rd qb
Herbert - 6th, 3rd qb
Hurts - 53rd, 5th qb
Rodgers - 24th, 2nd qb
Jackson - 32nd, 5th qb
Lawrence - 1st, 1st qb
Prescott - 37th, 8th qb
Cousins - 102nd, 8th qb

I took my top 10 from this:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/ranking-the-10-best-nfl-qbs-for-2023-whats-the-order-after-patrick-mahomes

Obviously their ranking can be quibbled with, but it seems reasonable.  But just in case, the next 2, Stafford and Goff were both #1 picks. But then comes Russell Wilson, 75th pick and 6th QB.

In the time period since Stafford, the first #1 on the list, 11 QBs have been the #1 in the draft.  Other than Stafford, not 1 of them has won a Superbowl.  One could almost say that for QBs the #1 draft slots has become cursed.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Doc16LT56

I'm not sure what point is being made here? How many QBs were drafted #1 overall and how many were drafted with all subsequent picks?

There were many more QBs drafted who weren't #1 overall so there is obviously going to be more successful QBs from that category. That doesn't say anything about the value of drafting a QB #1 overall. It just tells me if I draft one player #1 overall and 20 players after #1 overall, I'm more likely to find a franchise QB from the pool of 20 players. But that doesn't help me build my team unless I actually drafted each of those 20 QBs and gave them all of the same coaching and development they would've received on separate teams. It isn't practical or feasible.

In other words, if you're buying a raffle ticket and you can only buy one, you want the one with the best odds and highest payout. You don't buy the raffle ticket with worse odds and a smaller payout.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 10, 2023, 04:25:01 PMThat's an apples to oranges comparison though so it doesn't work. Daniel Jones wasn't broken, he just wasn't an elite or even great qb that compounded on a bad team. Because if we take an elite Qb from the past 5 years instead of Jones we are a completely different franchise right now.

Look what Joe Burrow did for the a horrible Bengals team. Elite Qbs cover up a ton of warts and make bad teams good, and great teams elite.

Just because Jones was a huge bust doesn't mean another Qb would have been.

I Will never argue whos better between burrow or jones, but those receivers certainly help...

kingm56

Quote from: B1GBLUE on November 11, 2023, 10:34:59 AMI Will never argue whos better between burrow or jones, but those receivers certainly help...

Burrow lost Chase for a 5 game stretch last season, and actually put up better numbers.  The same is true with Mahomes and Hill. Brady was great for years, with, or without, an elite WRs. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: B1GBLUE on November 11, 2023, 10:34:59 AMI Will never argue whos better between burrow or jones, but those receivers certainly help...
one won a national championship and went to a super bowl in his 2nt or 3rdd year, I don't think there is an argument to be made.

DaveBrown74

My goodness, are we really still comparing Jones to Burrow, or even still vaguely hinting at comparisons or "what if" type hypotheticals?

Shouldn't we be well past this by now?

uconnjack8

Jones having surgery today.  Gives him 9 full months to return. 

TDToomer

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 22, 2023, 08:25:13 AMJones having surgery today.  Gives him 9 full months to return. 

Right which means he has a chance to start week 1 or at least be active. The narrative that he won't is to justify getting rid of him in 2024 by stashing him on the PUP/IR so he can't get hurt again.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

GordonGekko80

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 22, 2023, 08:25:13 AMJones having surgery today.  Gives him 9 full months to return. 

He will not play a single down before September 2024.

uconnjack8

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on November 22, 2023, 09:33:48 AMHe will not play a single down before September 2024.

Hiw many did he play before September this year?  Serious question, not trying to be a jerk