News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones’ future.

Started by andrew_nyGiants, November 08, 2023, 02:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Quote from: babywhales on November 08, 2023, 03:21:27 PMRodgers is dropping back and throwing passes already

Get the surgery

Draft a qb

Get a new RT,  guard and start developing the line .

Next year jones is QB1 , while draft pick gets acclimated .

More importantly while line develops .

Raise jones value and trade him for anything or release him at end of 2024 season and eat 20 mill in dead cap for 2025.

Start new qb in year 2 (2025 season)

A new RT? Do you think Neal is a bust? Or a non-starter RT?
The KING is in the building

TDToomer

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on November 22, 2023, 09:33:48 AMHe will not play a single down before September 2024.

That's not the debate. No one expects him to play during the preseason. It's opening day that's the debate.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Fletch

The Giants win a few games and are not even in a position to get one of top 3 QBs without trading up; which they refuse to do. They draft another o-line player with their 1st pick. They pick a QB with a 3rd round pick who never sees the field unless Jones is hurt.

Jones starts week 1 and every game for years here. The Giants remain mediocre, and suck compared with the Cowboys and Eagles. Jones has the occasional good game against the  bad defenses and teams like Dvito had vs against the Redskins.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Fletch on November 22, 2023, 01:13:25 PMThe Giants win a few games and are not even in a position to get one of top 3 QBs without trading up; which they refuse to do. They draft another o-line player with their 1st pick. They pick a QB with a 3rd round pick who never sees the field unless Jones is hurt.

Jones starts week 1 and every game for years here. The Giants remain mediocre, and suck compared with the Cowboys and Eagles. Jones has the occasional good game against the  bad defenses and teams like Dvito had vs against the Redskins.

"Remain" mediocre? Are we even mediocre now? I understand you could apply that to last year, but last year we won with mirrors with an incredibly easy schedule. Every other year under Jones has been well below mediocre. And so is this year.

If the Giants plan on building around Jones long term and not making a major change at QB in the next season or two, they will have dug their own grave, and they will start to seriously lose fans.

I don't think Jones is terrible or anything, but he cannot remotely be trusted to stay healthy, and he's simply not very good. He has clearly been outplayed by the other two QBs on his same team. That's a huge problem, and it negates all the excuses for why he isn't better.

Dgoodmantrublu

I do think he's terrible. He was probably the worst starting QB in the NFL this season. If they don't address QB in the first round, it will be a disaster for this franchise.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 22, 2023, 01:27:20 PM"Remain" mediocre? Are we even mediocre now? I understand you could apply that to last year, but last year we won with mirrors with an incredibly easy schedule. Every other year under Jones has been well below mediocre. And so is this year.

If the Giants plan on building around Jones long term and not making a major change at QB in the next season or two, they will have dug their own grave, and they will start to seriously lose fans.

I don't think Jones is terrible or anything, but he cannot remotely be trusted to stay healthy, and he's simply not very good. He has clearly been outplayed by the other two QBs on his same team. That's a huge problem, and it negates all the excuses for why he isn't better.

Fletch

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 22, 2023, 01:32:44 PMI do think he's terrible. He was probably the worst starting QB in the NFL this season. If they don't address QB in the first round, it will be a disaster for this franchise.

The time for that is long gone; like 160 mil / 4yrs ago. Where have you guys been? What has changed ? They won against some shitty teams and got totally smoked by the Eagles; just like they got smoked by the Cowboys (remember when people were saying "it's only one game"? / they all look the same vs a real contender). This wasn't a good team last year either. Jones wasn't really good last year. 15 throwing TDs is not good at all ok.

I know people are going to accuse me of being a conspiracy nut by I know the fix was in for Jones because MARA. a PLAYOFF WIN WAS ALL HE NEEDED TO EXTEND JONES. oh well his team. I think my work is pretty much done. Now everyone agrees Jones sucks and needs to go but, he will remain here. I just got kicked off BBI for being a Jets fan too. Like heaven forbid you actually want to see another NY sports team do well and see what A Rodgers could do with them. I wonder what Giants gear will fetch on ebay these days.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Fletch on November 22, 2023, 03:35:54 PMI know people are going to accuse me of being a conspiracy nut by I know the fix was in for Jones because MARA. a PLAYOFF WIN WAS ALL HE NEEDED TO EXTEND JONES. oh well his team. I think my work is pretty much done.

I'm probably misunderstanding what you're saying, but when you say "the fix was in for Jones" because all they needed was a playoff win to extend him, are you saying that Mara somehow got the Vikings to lose intentionally in a playoff game so that he could extend Jones?

Where/what was the "fix", exactly?

Dgoodmantrublu

They can easily get out of the contract after year 2 and they still have plenty of cap space next season. YOu don't compound a mistake by ignoring the position. And there was no QB for them to draft after last season. Now they will be in position to address the position.

Quote from: Fletch on November 22, 2023, 03:35:54 PMThe time for that is long gone; like 160 mil / 4yrs ago. Where have you guys been? What has changed ? They won against some shitty teams and got totally smoked by the Eagles; just like they got smoked by the Cowboys (remember when people were saying "it's only one game"? / they all look the same vs a real contender). This wasn't a good team last year either. Jones wasn't really good last year. 15 throwing TDs is not good at all ok.

I know people are going to accuse me of being a conspiracy nut by I know the fix was in for Jones because MARA. a PLAYOFF WIN WAS ALL HE NEEDED TO EXTEND JONES. oh well his team. I think my work is pretty much done. Now everyone agrees Jones sucks and needs to go but, he will remain here. I just got kicked off BBI for being a Jets fan too. Like heaven forbid you actually want to see another NY sports team do well and see what A Rodgers could do with them. I wonder what Giants gear will fetch on ebay these days.

Gmo11

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 22, 2023, 06:22:00 PMThey can easily get out of the contract after year 2 and they still have plenty of cap space next season. YOu don't compound a mistake by ignoring the position. And there was no QB for them to draft after last season. Now they will be in position to address the position.

That's the important thing to remember when discussing Jones' contract. What other options did they have? It's not like Baker Mayfield was gonna do much better and they weren't in position to draft a QB. Maybe Will Levis as he started to fall. But to get him which ot JMS or Hyatt would you like to give up? So I think Schoens hands were kinda tied. Jones wasn't going to accept any sort of hometown discount (nor should he) so they would really be stuck with Taylor who can't stay healthy and while better than Jones was hardly impressive. But now they should be high enough to take a QB. Provided the Passing Paisano doesn't go ahead and win another game!

GordonGekko80

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 22, 2023, 09:57:21 AMHiw many did he play before September this year?  Serious question, not trying to be a jerk

I was including practice.  ;)

He won't practice in any of the OTAs or any other type of practices on the field.

Fletch

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 22, 2023, 05:08:17 PMI'm probably misunderstanding what you're saying, but when you say "the fix was in for Jones" because all they needed was a playoff win to extend him, are you saying that Mara somehow got the Vikings to lose intentionally in a playoff game so that he could extend Jones?

Where/what was the "fix", exactly?

I think it was obvious that Daboll and Shoen were ready to move on from Jones the minute they got here.  And it was also obvious that Mara really wanted to keep giving him chances given all his public statements about Jones. All Jones needed to do was basically not have a season like the one he had this year and Mara would have extended him. And I do not believe there is an owner in the NFL that does  not have input on the QB MAra is not alone. Heck I remember reading somewhere Ernie had a hard time of convincing Wellington Mara to draft Eli Manning -- he wanted to stick with Krrry Collins. (Although that does not seem as bad as the Jones contract).

I really doubt they move on  from Jones for at least 2 more years.

They had Baker, Jimmy  out there. And they could have drafted Will Levis. It should have been obvious after the Eagles playoff game that this team was not ready to compete.

BlueMoshik

It's not so much about Daniel Jones's level of play. It's about the injuries. If he weren't hurt, I have no doubt the Giants would keep him around and insist on him as the starter for years. But if he can't come back in time, all bets are off, the Giants will have to move on from him. My guess is that DJ is too physically diminished at this point to remain the starting QB of the NY football Giants.

katkavage

Quote from: BlueMoshik on November 23, 2023, 06:03:32 AMIt's not so much about Daniel Jones's level of play. It's about the injuries. If he weren't hurt, I have no doubt the Giants would keep him around and insist on him as the starter for years. But if he can't come back in time, all bets are off, the Giants will have to move on from him. My guess is that DJ is too physically diminished at this point to remain the starting QB of the NY football Giants.
If Schoen and Daboll (Mara notwithstanding) don't recognize the mediocre, at best, level of play Jones has displayed over his five plus years then the Giants are in poor hands with these two. But I get what you are saying.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on November 23, 2023, 07:49:12 AMIf Schoen and Daboll (Mara notwithstanding) don't recognize the mediocre, at best, level of play Jones has displayed over his five plus years then the Giants are in poor hands with these two. But I get what you are saying.

I agree, and I also think the platform of constant excuse-mongering for Jones has been severely undermined by the play of other QBs on this team this year. While it is true that Jones has not been in a good situation, he has handled it worse than much cheaper and, in the case of DeVito, much less experienced QBs have managed to.

There's really just no way around it anymore. Jones is simply not good. I had long thought of him as "decent" or even "good", but just not great. In the interest of "getting it right" instead of "being right", I have reconsidered my view based on new data and now think I have been overrating him this whole time. I now think the Athletic survey's non top 20 ranking compiled from the 50 active GMs, head coaches, coordinators, and other currently employed front office execs is more accurate than my previously held view that he was somewhere in the 14th-18th type range.

Jclayton92

Why does it matter that they could have gotten another pedestrian qb instead of the one we already had that already knew the playbook. None of the Qbs listed in this thread are any better than Jones. Jones, Levis, Jimmy, and Baker etc are all backup Qbs. So does it really matter which of the 4-6 backups you use while you build up the team? Jones was always the stop gap qb until schoen was in a position to get their guy.