News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones’ future.

Started by andrew_nyGiants, November 08, 2023, 02:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

QuoteWhy does it matter that they could have gotten another pedestrian qb instead of the one we already had that already knew the playbook. None of the Qbs listed in this thread are any better than Jones. Jones, Levis, Jimmy, and Baker etc are all backup Qbs. So does it really matter which of the 4-6 backups you use while you build up the team? Jones was always the stop gap qb until schoen was in a position to get their guy.

gee i don't know why does it matter that all those guys are still playing while Jones is hurt yet again? Why does it matter that those guys could be had for 1/2  to 1/4 the money Jones is getting paid while not even being on the field?

That is sort of like asking why does it matter to watch a winning football team than a losing one.

All of those QBs are better than Jones. None of them are really back ups. Also Jones was a stop gap now? That is a pretty hefty price for one.

Shoen's and Daboll's Josh Allen cred pretty much went out the window with this season 3 wins and the Jones signing . I am not even sure I trust then to pick a QB.

Dgoodmantrublu

No. They still have credibility. You just can't deal with adversity. Good thing players and coaches aren't this soft.

T200

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 23, 2023, 02:46:01 PMWhy does it matter that they could have gotten another pedestrian qb instead of the one we already had that already knew the playbook. None of the Qbs listed in this thread are any better than Jones. Jones, Levis, Jimmy, and Baker etc are all backup Qbs. So does it really matter which of the 4-6 backups you use while you build up the team? Jones was always the stop gap qb until schoen was in a position to get their guy.
Money. Less money paid this year, less money next year and lower dead cap hit if they decide to part ways. Or, they could have rolled with Tyrod knowing they would be drafting a QB in next year's draft.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Fletch

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 23, 2023, 03:26:32 PMNo. They still have credibility. You just can't deal with adversity. Good thing players and coaches aren't this soft.

They do? If The Giants have not been through a bunch of coach firings recently -- all the fans would be calling for their firing and rightfull so.

Dgoodmantrublu

If I could roll my eyes any harder I would. Go enjoy some time with your family.

Jclayton92

Quote from: T200 on November 23, 2023, 03:28:47 PMMoney. Less money paid this year, less money next year and lower dead cap hit if they decide to part ways. Or, they could have rolled with Tyrod knowing they would be drafting a QB in next year's draft.
True but most middle of the road qbs cost that much now so really just haggling over a few million. I was against Jones resigning the whole time, I thought we should have blown it up and started over but they didn't and thought Jones would at least keep in things while they built up the team. That's not the case so it just accelerates their clock.

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 23, 2023, 08:31:01 AMI agree, and I also think the platform of constant excuse-mongering for Jones has been severely undermined by the play of other QBs on this team this year. While it is true that Jones has not been in a good situation, he has handled it worse than much cheaper and, in the case of DeVito, much less experienced QBs have managed to.

There's really just no way around it anymore. Jones is simply not good. I had long thought of him as "decent" or even "good", but just not great. In the interest of "getting it right" instead of "being right", I have reconsidered my view based on new data and now think I have been overrating him this whole time. I now think the Athletic survey's non top 20 ranking compiled from the 50 active GMs, head coaches, coordinators, and other currently employed front office execs is more accurate than my previously held view that he was somewhere in the 14th-18th type range.

I've said it for a long time now. Although I've rooted like crazy for Jones to be our guy, he is Jeff Hostetler. This isn't a bad thing nor a knock on Jeff...but it is what Jones is. I have longed for an opportunity to view other QBs within the same system and circumstance as Jones and finally now we have it. It cements the argument once and for all.

Jones, (I believe) will have success somewhere down the line in a VERY big spot but it will come as a backup thrust into the limelight. That isn't a bad thing. He's a good guy and he's a hard worker. He gave NY everything he had. Unfortunately he wasn't what many thought he was and never reached that ceiling. And that's ok.

T200

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 23, 2023, 05:47:14 PMTrue but most middle of the road qbs cost that much now so really just haggling over a few million. I was against Jones resigning the whole time, I thought we should have blown it up and started over but they didn't and thought Jones would at least keep in things while they built up the team. That's not the case so it just accelerates their clock.
Derek Carr signed a 4-year deal for $150, 60 guaranteed.

Jimmy G signed for 3 at 67.5.

Jones signed for 4 @ 160, 92 guaranteed. Significant amount that could have been used elsewhere.

Lots of holes to fill and that extra cash could have done that.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

nb587

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 23, 2023, 05:47:14 PMTrue but most middle of the road qbs cost that much now so really just haggling over a few million. I was against Jones resigning the whole time, I thought we should have blown it up and started over but they didn't and thought Jones would at least keep in things while they built up the team. That's not the case so it just accelerates their clock.
How could Schoen blow everything up after the first year?  You can make the case that he should have used the franchise tag on Jones but that would have created problems elsewhere, i.e. Barkley.  Going to the playoffs and winning a game in the long run hurt the team

Jclayton92

Quote from: nb587 on November 23, 2023, 09:54:56 PMHow could Schoen blow everything up after the first year?  You can make the case that he should have used the franchise tag on Jones but that would have created problems elsewhere, i.e. Barkley.  Going to the playoffs and winning a game in the long run hurt the team
His mentor Beane did it in Buffalo  his 1st year. Beane made it to the playoffs his first full year with Tyrod at Qb, it was technically his 2nd but he was hired after the draft. They made it to the playoffs and Beane went all in on the moves that ended up being Allen, by trading their number 1 offensive threat plus other pieces. So I was hoping Schoen would do the same and let Jones walk, and traded Barkley at the deadline last year but he did neither. Think of how better off we'd be right now with the draft capital from Barkley, plus never having signed Jones. We'd be in perfect position for our rebuild.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 24, 2023, 10:24:19 AMHis mentor Beane did it in Buffalo  his 1st year. Beane made it to the playoffs his first full year with Tyrod at Qb, it was technically his 2nd but he was hired after the draft. They made it to the playoffs and Beane went all in on the moves that ended up being Allen, by trading their number 1 offensive threat plus other pieces. So I was hoping Schoen would do the same and let Jones walk, and traded Barkley at the deadline last year but he did neither. Think of how better off we'd be right now with the draft capital from Barkley, plus never having signed Jones. We'd be in perfect position for our rebuild.

How much draft capital do you think Barkley would have yielded? 

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 24, 2023, 12:17:17 PMHow much draft capital do you think Barkley would have yielded? 
Last year at the deadline he was the best Rb in football. So probably a 2nd and a conditional 4th but you add that to the 1st and two 2nds we have this year and we have ammo plus we don't have Jones over our head.