News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I have never been so indifferent as a Giants Fan

Started by JT39, November 12, 2023, 10:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT39

Ever in my life.

I am not going to lie. I watched maybe 12 plays. And no I didn't expect a win. I expected the outcome that arrived. It's basically the same stuff each and every week. We can compete against bad teams or heavily injured teams. And get smoked by anyone decent. Some thoughts.

- I would get rid of Daboll and Schoen after the season. This whole notion that they should pick their QB is nonsense. First off Schoen hasn't shown the ability to pick anything draft pick right outside some complementary players. Our coaching staff sucks right now.
   - the challenge on the first drive was absolutely ridiculous. Just shows he is not under control and just flies off the seat of his pants.
   - we are utterly embarrassed and not ready to play every week. Don't give me the jets or the commanders. Rodgers would have destroyed us and Howell is a below average QB.

- we have to get rid of these losing players on the team immediately. Ojuiari, Shepard, Campbell, Holmes, Slayton, Barkley, McKinney, and maybe a few OL who either have shown nothing or constantly hurt. Move Neal to guard. He can't play tackle. Another year out there is just wasting time.

- I have no faith that anyone in this organization will make the right call on what QB to take and even if they take one like Williams, maye, or daniels - I have full confidence they will screw them up like most other players on this team.

Posters and fans want continuity. Forget that. I want a team with an indenity. Which we don't have. I want to see dominant players. Which we don't have. I want to see speed and fire and passion - which again - we don't have.

I said this after the first few weeks and I'll say it again. It's not about needing a new QB. That's irrelevant at this point. We need a new f'n team with people who know and can develop talent.

- no coaching
- no talent
- no chance

Ed Vette

The unexpected shock was the deterioration of the Defense. Zone, Man, Blitz... teams are taking them apart. I think the system is too unconventional and difficult for the players to adjust to and it doesn't suit their strengths, while exposing weaknesses. Thibs in coverage, Safeties in Mike while the Mike is in a mismatch coverage. Soft zones exposed, Cover one is too often Cover Zero. Few turnovers and no pressure for stretch's of games.

I don't think he's back next year.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 12, 2023, 10:33:54 PMThe unexpected shock was the deterioration of the Defense. Zone, Man, Blitz... teams are taking them apart. I think the system is too unconventional and difficult for the players to adjust to and it doesn't suit their strengths, while exposing weaknesses. Thibs in coverage, Safeties in Mike while the Mike is in a mismatch coverage. Soft zones exposed, Cover one is too often Cover Zero. Few turnovers and no pressure for stretch's of games.

I don't think he's back next year.

I agree, Ed, in that we're likely going to see a new defensive coordinator next year. It's too bad because there has been some good development of individual players in the secondary.

But we can't ignore the obvious in that it is broken at the systematic level and it is unlikely another draft will improve things considerably.

I think Schoen should do all he can to clean out as much salary cap as possible and target specific talent who will strategically, as well as tactically, be part of the team for a long time that they can build around. They have a few folks on defense whom they can do just that. On offense, some less obvious folks.

We shall see who will be playing for their job next year. But a good portion of the players we watched today won't be among those we'll see.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

sooners56

I agree. Schoen hasn't shown that he can be trusted to draft well. So I don't trust him not Dabs in building up the talent.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

H-Town G-Fan

I thought we're not supposed to judge draft classes until at least three years in... yet we're capable of declaring Schoen and company incapable of drafting after just two offseasons? This team is still largely built by Gettleman (and its dreadful lack of depth one of his principal failures). This team is barely removed from Gettleman's reign--Kenny Golladay was on the Giants just last year! Barring a Joe Judge-esque clown show, Daboll will return and get a chance to develop the QB Schoen identifies in the next draft (and yes, they will also need to put a better offensive line in front of that QB than they did for Jones). If that QB fails to mature under their tenure, there will be serious consideration for getting rid of them.

AYM

After a night to calm down, I still agree that I see no reason to bring Daboll back. The entire coaching staff stinks. Especially along the offensive line. Even Joe Judge had the sense to intervene when Colombo was busy turning Thomas into a bust. There was no intervention for Neal or Ezudu. Kafka is an empty suit.

Martindale is vastly overrated and the last two weeks the better defensive coordinator was on the other side of the ball. Dan Quinn and ... who was that other guy again? The defense not only stops nobody when it counts, but I imagine it impacts the offense practicing against it and then having to actually play against other defenses on Sunday.

When you need the deep level of coaching changes this team needs, it would almost have to include the head coach. People pointing out Coughlin dumping his coordinators but that was after 2 playoff seasons. Plus Coughlin was an established coach. Daboll, not so much.

The only reasons to keep Daboll are his 6-1 start and the idea that we can't keep firing coaches in year 2. But once again the wheels are rapidly falling off.

The other reason to get rid of Daboll is because we're starting over at QB. We need to get the GM/HC/QB schedule aligned so this team can have some direction. Gettleman and Shurmur inherited Eli, then Judge inherited Jones, then Schoen and Daboll also inherited Jones.

Now let's get this out of the way - Schoen and Daboll already had a chance to choose their QB, and they chose Jones.

What probably makes the most sense here is:

If we finish bad enough to get one of those top 2 franchise QBs, then Daboll is fired, a new coach is brought in, and we blow up the team and start over with the new QB. The new coach, QB, and Schoen get 3 years, or else all 3 exit.

If he manages to scrape out another win (against say New England), 3-14 probably has this team picking third. Keep him one more year and if he and Schoen don't show improvement, sack them and then start over with a new regime.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on November 13, 2023, 12:14:07 AMI thought we're not supposed to judge draft classes until at least three years in... yet we're capable of declaring Schoen and company incapable of drafting after just two offseasons? This team is still largely built by Gettleman (and its dreadful lack of depth one of his principal failures). This team is barely removed from Gettleman's reign--Kenny Golladay was on the Giants just last year! Barring a Joe Judge-esque clown show, Daboll will return and get a chance to develop the QB Schoen identifies in the next draft (and yes, they will also need to put a better offensive line in front of that QB than they did for Jones). If that QB fails to mature under their tenure, there will be serious consideration for getting rid of them.

I fully agree with this post. It has been widely stated over and over that it takes three years to evaluate a class. We haven't even had two years to evaluate the first class and we are already being told that Schoen cannot draft. Whether that declaration is true or false, there is zero consistency there.

I think we may very well see replacements next year at at least one of the three main coordinator positions, possibly two and possibly even all three, but I continue to doubt very much that we will see the GM or HC replaced. I appreciate fans are pissed off, and I understand the reaction, but I just doubt ownership will make that move based on one bad season given the season they had in 2022 after what was handed to them at the end of 2021. To me (and I am pretty sure I said this at the time), that year in my mind pretty much automatically guarantees at least three total years.

With that said, anything is possible. If the losses continue to be as humiliating as yesterday, then the possibility that Daboll and/or Schoen are fired will increase somewhat. I appreciate that the odds are already nonzero. I just doubt it happens myself, at least at this point.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 13, 2023, 06:50:20 AMI fully agree with this post. It has been widely stated over and over that it takes three years to evaluate a class. We haven't even had two years to evaluate the first class and we are already being told that Schoen cannot draft. Whether that declaration is true or false, there is zero consistency there.

I think we may very well see replacements next year at at least one of the three main coordinator positions, possibly two and possibly even all three, but I continue to doubt very much that we will see the GM or HC replaced. I appreciate fans are pissed off, and I understand the reaction, but I just doubt ownership will make that move based on one bad season given the season they had in 2022 after what was handed to them at the end of 2021. To me (and I am pretty sure I said this at the time), that year in my mind pretty much automatically guarantees at least three total years.

With that said, anything is possible. If the losses continue to be as humiliating as yesterday, then the possibility that Daboll and/or Schoen are fired will increase somewhat. I appreciate that the odds are already nonzero. I just doubt it happens myself, at least at this point.
I still think daboll is a great coach. I'm not sold on Kafka or Martindale as I would have preferred fangio but Daboll Is a good coach. He'd get scooped up immediately to some powerhouse team if let go. I'd be all for us grabbing a new DC like Ejiro Evero and letting Daboll call plays.

I also like our draft classes. It's legit only been a year and a half.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 13, 2023, 09:48:27 AMI still think daboll is a great coach. I'm not sold on Kafka or Martindale as I would have preferred fangio but Daboll Is a good coach. He'd get scooped up immediately to some powerhouse team if let go. I'd be all for us grabbing a new DC like Ejiro Evero and letting Daboll call plays.

I also like our draft classes. It's legit only been a year and a half.

Getting it right at DC does matter. Look at the difference Schwartz has seemingly made in Cleveland this year. That defensive roster did make an improvement or two in the offseason, but it's not broadly different from last year's.

I like Wink, but it's possible he is not the right fit for our personnel.

BluesCruz

I agree.....we seem lost

They need to clean out a lot of dead wood.  1st and foremost fix the Oline.

As for Jones, he needs to air it out, possible INTs not with standing if he returns

I also like Tommy DeVito. Just let the kid play...no holds barred
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

B1GBLUE

Quote from: JT39 on November 12, 2023, 10:01:06 PMEver in my life.

I am not going to lie. I watched maybe 12 plays. And no I didn't expect a win. I expected the outcome that arrived. It's basically the same stuff each and every week. We can compete against bad teams or heavily injured teams. And get smoked by anyone decent. Some thoughts.

- I would get rid of Daboll and Schoen after the season. This whole notion that they should pick their QB is nonsense. First off Schoen hasn't shown the ability to pick anything draft pick right outside some complementary players. Our coaching staff sucks right now.
   - the challenge on the first drive was absolutely ridiculous. Just shows he is not under control and just flies off the seat of his pants.
   - we are utterly embarrassed and not ready to play every week. Don't give me the jets or the commanders. Rodgers would have destroyed us and Howell is a below average QB.

- we have to get rid of these losing players on the team immediately. Ojuiari, Shepard, Campbell, Holmes, Slayton, Barkley, McKinney, and maybe a few OL who either have shown nothing or constantly hurt. Move Neal to guard. He can't play tackle. Another year out there is just wasting time.

- I have no faith that anyone in this organization will make the right call on what QB to take and even if they take one like Williams, maye, or daniels - I have full confidence they will screw them up like most other players on this team.

Posters and fans want continuity. Forget that. I want a team with an indenity. Which we don't have. I want to see dominant players. Which we don't have. I want to see speed and fire and passion - which again - we don't have.

I said this after the first few weeks and I'll say it again. It's not about needing a new QB. That's irrelevant at this point. We need a new f'n team with people who know and can develop talent.

- no coaching
- no talent
- no chance

you mean its not all daniels jones fault?

drewsg

I've been indifferent since 2017 the second Dave Gettleman was hired as GM. That's when I knew the Giants would be in a death spiral that would be hard to recover from.

I think there is light at the end of the tunnel tho. Luckily we have a GM that isn't gonna use the #2 overall pick on a fucking running back.

uconnjack8

kingm56