News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

next year Vets - stay or go

Started by JT39, November 13, 2023, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT39

Forget contracts and 1st and 2nd year players. What should the team do with the following players:

Barkley - let him go. Good player, but constantly hurt and not the difference maker we thought he would be.
Slayton - let go.
Campbell - do not re-sign
Glowinski - he is as good as gone
Bredeson - keep because he has experience
Pugh - so long
Shepard - so long
McKinney - Don't let the door hit ya...
Ojulari - sorry , just never healthy. Have to send away or possibly trade
Adoree - goodbye
Ward - good bye
Holmes - good bye
Brieda - see ya
Lemieux - long gone
Peart - long gone
Taylor - do not re-sign
Jones - he has one more year because of his contract.

As you can see, this is a sad, sad state of affairs the Giants are in right now.

SlotCorner

I'd keep:
Slayton -- As pathetic as it is, he is our best WR.
Pugh  -- he'll be cheap, and to be honest since he got here he's at least had some fire
Ojulari -- Not sure when his contract is up, but I feel like he's still cheap? Makes an impact when he does play.
Holmes -- Depth
Taylor -- Interchangeable with any number of vet QBs, but someone needs to keep the seat warm. Him or someone like him.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: JT39 on November 13, 2023, 10:12:17 AMForget contracts and 1st and 2nd year players. What should the team do with the following players:

Barkley - let him go. Good player, but constantly hurt and not the difference maker we thought he would be.
Slayton - let go.
Pugh - so long
Shepard - so long
Adoree - goodbye
Ward - good bye
Holmes - good bye
Brieda - see ya
Lemieux - long gone
Peart - long gone
Taylor - do not re-sign

As you can see, this is a sad, sad state of affairs the Giants are in right now.

Can't really argue with any of this.

EDjohnst1981

I'd keep Slayton as a number 3 wideout. But he can't have a bigger role than that.

If Ojulari is under contract, keep him to see if he can piece together an injury free season.

Jones will be here to help bed any new guy in but that'll be the limit of input. He won't be the starter by the end of the year.

Whilst the other vets can walk. They will likely be replaced by like-for-like calibre of player.

kingm56

Quote from: JT39 on November 13, 2023, 10:12:17 AMForget contracts and 1st and 2nd year players. What should the team do with the following players:

Slayton - let go.
Pugh - so long
Shepard - so long
Adoree - goodbye
Ward - good bye
Holmes - good bye
Brieda - see ya
Lemieux - long gone
Peart - long gone
Taylor - do not re-sign

All those players are from the DG era; I remain mystified why some posters thought this year was going to be different than the prior 4. Fundamentally, we lack talent and 2 drafts isn't going to fix much.  The Giants need replace their core players who's best season out 5 managed 1 game over 500.  In short, I concur with your list: its time for wholesale changes. 

TDToomer

Great. So 20 players get replaced by rookies in 2024, the team will be younger and continue to struggle, and someone will make a new list of 20 players we need to get rid of.  ~X(
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on November 13, 2023, 06:12:56 PMGreat. So 20 players get replaced by rookies in 2024, the team will be younger and continue to struggle, and someone will make a new list of 20 players we need to get rid of.  ~X(

Which of those players are you strongly in favor of keeping/re-signing?

Do the results on the field suggest our roster is good and worth keeping largely intact? And that firing all the coaches and keeping the coaching revolving door spinning will fix the problem? Or are we in need of talent upgrades throughout the roster?

madbadger

Quote from: TDToomer on November 13, 2023, 06:12:56 PMGreat. So 20 players get replaced by rookies in 2024, the team will be younger and continue to struggle, and someone will make a new list of 20 players we need to get rid of.  ~X(

I wish we had 20 draft picks...

DaveBrown74

He is suggesting getting rid of 15, not 20. I don't see why that is a crazy number out of 53 when you're talking about a team that is this bad. We presently have 7 draft picks (including two second rounders), and there is obviously also free agency.

Personally, I can't think of a worse idea than endeavoring to keep this group of players largely intact. That's what you do when you have a good team, not an unmitigated dumpster fire of a team.

kingm56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 13, 2023, 06:31:45 PMHe is suggesting getting rid of 15, not 20. I don't see why that is a crazy number out of 53 when you're talking about a team that is this bad. We presently have 7 draft picks (including two second rounders), and there is obviously also free agency.

Personally, I can't think of a worse idea than endeavoring to keep this group of players largely intact. That's what you do when you have a good team, not an unmitigated dumpster fire of a team.

I don't get it either, Jeff; on average, every team turns over 33+% of its roster every year.  Replacing 15 players is nothing, in modern day roster building. Plus, why do they all have to be rookies?

JT39

Yeah I didn't include any of schoens draft picks even though a few are on notice for next year.

But your elder guys have shown they are either not it or replaceable.

Look at Pinnock vs Love. I think Pinnock will be a much better player. Maybe Owens steps in and does as well as mckinney?

uconnjack8

If gone after this year these guys save decent cap money:

Glowinski 5.7 mill
Slayton     6 mill
Waller.     7 mill

Leek21

Barkl;ey is a talented player, a hard worker, and a team player, makes everyone around him better. 
He also still has several good years left in him.

I never understand the under appreciation he gets from Giants fans.  Yeah he has had injuries, but he is a RB and gets a lot of touches.
He's the type of guy you want on a your team.

nicky1000

Quote from: Leek21 on November 13, 2023, 08:51:02 PMBarkl;ey is a talented player, a hard worker, and a team player, makes everyone around him better. 
He also still has several good years left in him.

I never understand the under appreciation he gets from Giants fans.  Yeah he has had injuries, but he is a RB and gets a lot of touches.
He's the type of guy you want on a your team.

I love this post. All the guys who bailed on speaking with media and only Barkley continues to stand accountable. He may not be what folks hoped he'd be but he's a "glue" guy. Every team needs one and he can also be a playmaker. Imagine him in an offense with an actual passing game?

JT39

RBs are fungible. Most easily replaceable position on the team.