News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is this on McKethan or the coaches?

Started by MightyGiants, November 14, 2023, 11:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

At first it looks like McKethan is just a terrible guard, but did the coaches really expect McKethan to be able to pull and block Demarcus Lawerence screaming in from the wide 9 position (the player I believe McKethan was responsible for

https://x.com/BobbySkinner_/status/1724443040591364479?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

That's a very difficult block made impossible because McKeathan froze for a fraction of a second. Almost like he forgot his assignment for a millisecond. IMHO he isn't well coached, the scheme is asking him to do what he isn't capable of doing what he is being asked to do and he lacks the athletic ability to play in the NFL.

Gmo11

My guess, and this is strictly a guess, is that he's got an option.  Given the misdirection from Saquon and Breida if Lawrence stays home to take Saquon he gets flattened by McKethan, if he crashes down like he does here, he goes with Breida and McKethan can let him go and turn and run upfield.  I don't think he's supposed to tackle Barkley at the line of scrimmage though it appears that's what he's trying to do.

Bob In PA

Rich: IMO, they expected him to try his best.

In the team-building process it produces a teachable moment (or success, clearly inapplicable here lol).

Note that the preceding sentence does not say WHO is doing the learning (player? coach? coordinator? GM?).

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Bob In PA

Answers above my post are both excellent, IMO.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

JT39

It doesn't help he didn't know the snap count either.

MightyGiants

Quote from: JT39 on November 14, 2023, 11:23:59 AMIt doesn't help he didn't know the snap count either.

Good observation about the initial delay.  He is literally next to the football; he shouldn't need a snap count to be quick off the snap
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: madbadger on November 14, 2023, 11:08:46 AMThat's a very difficult block made impossible because McKeathan froze for a fraction of a second. Almost like he forgot his assignment for a millisecond. IMHO he isn't well coached, the scheme is asking him to do what he isn't capable of doing what he is being asked to do and he lacks the athletic ability to play in the NFL.

Very much this. Some idiot is drawing up Madden fantasy blocking schemes as not the first time we've seen the impossible asked... (Remember Bellinger lined up two spots from RT and was asked to block Bosa inside on a run/pass option leading to DJ getting walloped in our end zone?)

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I wonder how McK feels about being the poster boy for cluster #ucks. They just keep piling on.
https://x.com/TheGiantsWire/status/1724843536569245890?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin