News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Receivers

Started by TDToomer, November 15, 2023, 11:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDToomer

It's been documented that they are getting open but the ball is not getting thrown their way due to the QB play or the OL. Can it be assumed that this is what set Slayton to go off on the sidelines to Groh? The receivers have got to be getting frustrated at sub 100 YPG passing offense. Slayton is lucky he was in his contract year last season.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Dgoodmantrublu

I guarantee that is a source of frustration.

Bob In PA

Quote from: TDToomer on November 15, 2023, 11:56:13 AMIt's been documented that they are getting open but the ball is not getting thrown their way due to the QB play or the OL. Can it be assumed that this is what set Slayton to go off on the sidelines to Groh? The receivers have got to be getting frustrated at sub 100 YPG passing offense. Slayton is lucky he was in his contract year last season.

TD: Probably just frustration.  Catches (especially TD catches) mean money to some guys and maybe he's one.

As for your main point, it's true the WR's occasionally get open in time for a QB to get the ball to them.

It's just not widespread as people think.

Another part of the problem IMO is failure establish a running attack in most games.

I mention this for two reasons: the obvious one... it eventually draws the secondary in closer to the line of scrimmage. But IMO far more important is the effect failure has in shortening drives and not allowing the team to get ahead of the sticks. WR's really benefit so much from a team that can consistently possess the ball because they get a lot more chances to get open... and as you know all too well, it just hasn't happened for the Giants this season so far (that inability must be laid on all 11 players on offense in one way or another).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

andrew_nyGiants

I realize the OL is the majority of the dysfunction of the offense.

However, of the 3 starters (DJ, Tyrod, and TD) the one who reads progressions the fastest is Tyrod and he's about average at best.

So as far as the passing game, I believe the QB's to be as culpable as the OL...and yes (to Bobs point) the OL's inability to consistently run block contributes to the lack of respect of the running game and the offense in general.

It's a total breakdown which has caused them to be unproductive and dysfunctional; not to mention unwatchable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

TDToomer

Are we seriously blaming Barkley and the running game for the ineptude of the passing game? Barkley is top 3 in yards per game among RBS who have played at least 5 games.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on November 15, 2023, 05:19:36 PMAre we seriously blaming Barkley and the running game for the ineptude of the passing game? Barkley is top 3 in yards per game among RBS who have played at least 5 games.
If you're referring to my post, I never mentioned Barkley. I was referring to the lines inability to consistently run block.

I also believe that the mere fact that Bobby Johnson hasn't a mention for his inability to develop what looks like a pretty talented group overall is mystifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Brooklyn Dave

Call Dante Scarnecchia and coax him out of retirement , he is 74 , and pay him whatever he wants !!!. I guarantee in 2 years the Giants would have one of the best OL in football !!

Unfortunately , we are not in Kansas anymore !!!

Bob In PA

Quote from: TDToomer on November 15, 2023, 05:19:36 PMAre we seriously blaming Barkley and the running game for the ineptude of the passing game? Barkley is top 3 in yards per game among RBS who have played at least 5 games.
TD: It's a team sport.  A weakness is one spot causes problems in other areas.

The opposite is also true.  If the D can predict who will get the ball, they can take that guy out of the game.

My example is the stale old one: Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin.  These days you need a TE too.

Bob

TDToomer

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 16, 2023, 07:13:45 AMTD: It's a team sport.  A weakness is one spot causes problems in other areas.

The opposite is also true.  If the D can predict who will get the ball, they can take that guy out of the game.

My example is the stale old one: Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin.  These days you need a TE too.

Bob

But Barkley is not being taken out of the game. In spite of the OL flaws he is a top running back in the NFL. We could have Chiefs or Dolphins OL and would still struggle to throw the ball. 

Bob In PA

Quote from: TDToomer on November 16, 2023, 10:22:23 AMBut Barkley is not being taken out of the game. In spite of the OL flaws he is a top running back in the NFL. We could have Chiefs or Dolphins OL and would still struggle to throw the ball. 
TD: I can't agree. The three teams who know us best ALL take him away. Only the Commanders have failed to pummel us because only they lack the personnel of sufficient caliber to execute their defensive game plan fully, IMO. Bob

TDToomer

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 16, 2023, 05:17:13 PMTD: I can't agree. The three teams who know us best ALL take him away. Only the Commanders have failed to pummel us because only they lack the personnel of sufficient caliber to execute their defensive game plan fully, IMO. Bob

Then explain his 81 rushing YPG which projects to a 1,378 total rushing yard season had he not missed any games. He's also averaging a career high in touches per game.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on November 17, 2023, 09:38:01 AMThen explain his 81 rushing YPG which projects to a 1,378 total rushing yard season had he not missed any games. He's also averaging a career high in touches per game.

He averages 20 carries a game. So 81 rushing yards (on a per attempt basis) is pedestrian compared to the rest of the league.

And if we want to blame the line that's fine, but the line sucked in 2018 too when he was averaging 5 YPC.

I agree that he's still good to very good, but he is not the player he once was.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 17, 2023, 09:43:32 AMHe averages 20 carries a game. So 81 rushing yards (on a per attempt basis) is pedestrian compared to the rest of the league.

And if we want to blame the line that's fine, but the line sucked in 2018 too when he was averaging 5 YPC.

I agree that he's still good to very good, but he is not the player he once was.
In all fairness he is still dealing with the ankle. This Oline may be the second worst they have had this century. Second only to the 2003 line.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 17, 2023, 09:43:32 AMHe averages 20 carries a game. So 81 rushing yards (on a per attempt basis) is pedestrian compared to the rest of the league.

But the funny thing is that he is rushing at a higher YPG than a year ago. I think it has more to do with fans not seeing that magical 100 yard threshold that used to be the norm for top running backs. He has just 1 this season.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 17, 2023, 09:48:16 AMIn all fairness he is still dealing with the ankle. This Oline may be the second worst they have had this century. Second only to the 2003 line.

Actually his YPC have been 5-plus in the last two games. It was earlier in the season (pre the ankle injury and right after) where the efficiency numbers were worse.

I'm not slating Barkley here. Clearly he's still very good. He was our best player last week (I thought anyway). He is clearly additive to the offense. But I definitely think he has lost some of the pop he had when he first came out. I felt that way last year too, even though he had a very good season. Aging, mileage, and tons of lower body injuries will do that to any RB.