News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Breaking down QB options for Giants after Caleb Williams, Drake Maye

Started by MightyGiants, November 15, 2023, 02:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The cost to the Giants of one victory in their final seven games could be a franchise quarterback.

The Giants are penciled into the No. 2 pick in the 2024 draft right now, but anything other than a 2-15 record will put the opportunity to select either USC's Caleb Williams or North Carolina's Drake Maye in peril.

What happens if the Giants slide to No. 3 or lower?

The Post asked a handful of NFL sources to evaluate the other first- and second-round projections who could be available:

https://nypost.com/2023/11/15/sports/breaking-down-qb-options-for-giants-after-caleb-williams-drake-maye/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dgoodmantrublu

Daniels is going to be QB3 and I think he goes in the top 5. I think McCarthy goes in pick 6-10. I think Nix and Penix are mid to late round picks. I don't think Sanders enters the draft.

Philosophers

I simply can't trust anything the Post writes.  Garbage research is what they typically do.

Mel Kiper writes that yet fails to mention that Shedeur decided to buy himself a Rolls Royce or Bentley just a couple months ago with his NIL money.  Deion spoke to Tom Brady and asked him about that.  Brady's response was Sanders should be spending more time in a film room than looking at expensive cars.  Shedeur said that Brady has one.  Brady said he did not get one until long after he was deep into his NFL career with his GOAT status achieved.  What does that tell you about Shadeur?  I like him but I think there's a lot of room for maturity growth.

Dgoodmantrublu

His dad has already said he's going back to school. I also don't think he's nearly ready. He can go back to school and be a top 10 pick in a much weaker QB draft the following season.

Jclayton92

I like Sanders a lot. Ewers reminds me of Josh Allen without the mobility in that he is really raw and can chunk it but doesn't have touch yet really. People are still sleeping on Mccarthy, the kid is surgical. Daniels has 3 first round picks at Wr and a day 2 TE. He scares me.

SlotCorner

Mel Kiper is a hairdo and very little else. If I was arsed to care, I'd look back on what he said about Josh Allen before they picked him 7, but its probably the same crap every one else was saying.

JT39

Maye and Williams will be top 3 picks. Someone will do with Daniels like they did with Richardson and other QBs who jump off the screen and select him higher. But after that. It wouldnt shock me to say a QB wont get between pick 10-25. You may see teams late in the draft trade back in or take a guy. But this "historic" class has a lot of question marks.

Jclayton92

We are at a luxury then because I'd take 5 of those kids over what we have currently as it can't be any worse.

Dgoodmantrublu

To be fair, Josh Allen was not viewed as a sure thing at all. He had a cannon for an arm, but was really inaccurate in college and was bad every time he played a big time school. He was all projection. A ton of people were wrong about him.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 16, 2023, 01:18:04 PMTo be fair, Josh Allen was not viewed as a sure thing at all. He had a cannon for an arm, but was really inaccurate in college and was bad every time he played a big time school. He was all projection. A ton of people were wrong about him.

Yup. The consensus (not saying everyone here, but just the overall consensus) higher on Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen that year than they were on Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.

Uni

As I stated in other posts, I would be very happy with Daniels, Penix, or McCarthy if Williams and Maye area already gone. All three will be top ten picks. All of them exhibit special traits, all are accurate throwers and have great to great arm talent. McCarthy might fall of the top ten if he bombs against Ohio State, but Daniels will probably be QB3 by the end of the combine.

madbadger

Quote from: Philosophers on November 15, 2023, 04:05:21 PMI simply can't trust anything the Post writes.  Garbage research is what they typically do.

Mel Kiper writes that yet fails to mention that Shedeur decided to buy himself a Rolls Royce or Bentley just a couple months ago with his NIL money.  Deion spoke to Tom Brady and asked him about that.  Brady's response was Sanders should be spending more time in a film room than looking at expensive cars.  Shedeur said that Brady has one.  Brady said he did not get one until long after he was deep into his NFL career with his GOAT status achieved.  What does that tell you about Shadeur?  I like him but I think there's a lot of room for maturity growth.

It tells me that unlike Brady he was raised in a wealthy home and doesn't understand why, if he can afford it, why anyone should care what he drives. It's not 1998 anymore. Top college quarterbacks are making $1 million plus a year in NIL money. It really isn't a big deal. It's like a top draft pick in MLB driving a Porsche 911 in the minor leagues. The only people who wag their nose at it is guys who never had that luxury, or guys who want to but can't afford one themselves.

madbadger

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 15, 2023, 10:06:26 PMI like Sanders a lot. Ewers reminds me of Josh Allen without the mobility in that he is really raw and can chunk it but doesn't have touch yet really. People are still sleeping on Mccarthy, the kid is surgical. Daniels has 3 first round picks at Wr and a day 2 TE. He scares me.

You could have said the same thing of Joe Burrow and CJ Stroud, right? He scares me a bit because he isn't an elite passer but neither are Lamar Hackson and Jalen Hurts, two guys who would be massive improvements over Jones.

Dgoodmantrublu

I loved Rosen and Lamar. Hated Josh Allen and Baker. Was ok with Darnold. For us, if we weren't taking a QB, I wanted a trade back. I would have done what the Colts did. Hated the Barkley pick.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 16, 2023, 01:32:19 PMYup. The consensus (not saying everyone here, but just the overall consensus) higher on Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen that year than they were on Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on November 16, 2023, 01:39:27 PMIt tells me that unlike Brady he was raised in a wealthy home and doesn't understand why, if he can afford it, why anyone should care what he drives. It's not 1998 anymore. Top college quarterbacks are making $1 million plus a year in NIL money. It really isn't a big deal. It's like a top draft pick in MLB driving a Porsche 911 in the minor leagues. The only people who wag their nose at it is guys who never had that luxury, or guys who want to but can't afford one themselves.

It totally matters.  What it means is a high percentage of his net worth is tied up in a depreciating asset.  Stupid.  He has not even gotten to his first NFL contract which if he gets drafted in 2nd round or after won't be guaranteed and will be much less.  He might just never develop into more than an NFL backup. Decisions like are why athletes go bankrupt.  See Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson, and hundreds of football players.