News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Breaking down QB options for Giants after Caleb Williams, Drake Maye

Started by MightyGiants, November 15, 2023, 02:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 15, 2023, 10:06:26 PMI like Sanders a lot. Ewers reminds me of Josh Allen without the mobility in that he is really raw and can chunk it but doesn't have touch yet really. People are still sleeping on Mccarthy, the kid is surgical. Daniels has 3 first round picks at Wr and a day 2 TE. He scares me.

I also wonder how good Daniels is given how talented his WRs are.  JJ has Roman Wilson who is at best a 3rd round draft pick.  While I love his heart and effort, Wilson does not have NFL athleticism. 

Dgoodmantrublu

Glad to know every decision you made at a really young man was perfect.  /sarcasm/

DaveBrown74

Phil,

I don't see why a 20 year old buying a sports car means he'll be a bad NFL QB. I know you didn't say that explicitly, but you seem to view it as a major red flag in terms of scouting him. Many kids that age do frivolous things and plenty mature more over time. Buying a Maybach as a 20 year old is hardly that high on the list of mistakes kids that age make, if it's even a mistake. Why does it mean he won't be a good QB? Johnny Unitas made some terrible financial decisions and was forced into bankruptcy. He's a top 5 QB of all time. I just don't get the correlation.

I would further add that since Deion Sanders is fairly rich (estimated net worth of $45mm), Shadeur stands to likely inherit plenty of money someday. So while one may frown on the flashiness of a young person having an expensive car, I would say he can easily afford it, and even if he has a middling or worse NFL career he's not going to be in the poorhouse.

madbadger

Quote from: Philosophers on November 16, 2023, 01:56:55 PMIt totally matters.  What it means is a high percentage of his net worth is tied up in a depreciating asset.  Stupid.  He has not even gotten to his first NFL contract which if he gets drafted in 2nd round or after won't be guaranteed and will be much less.  He might just never develop into more than an NFL backup. Decisions like are why athletes go bankrupt.  See Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson, and hundreds of football players. 

Isn't that his problem and not something that is any of our business? Don't care how my quarterback invests his money. I care if he can score points and lead my offense. Everything outside of that is nothing but white noise.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on November 16, 2023, 02:20:14 PMIsn't that his problem and not something that is any of our business? Don't care how my quarterback invests his money. I care if he can score points and lead my offense. Everything outside of that is nothing but white noise.

I would further argue that elite college athletes have been getting things like sports cars and under the table cash for years. Many surely have who went on to spectacular careers. Boosters have done all kinds of things behind the scenes for these kids since time immemorial. If anything, I would argue that Shadeur's purchase of a car with his own legitimately, legally earned, taxed income is a lot better than a lot of shady stuff that has happened in the past. Bottom line I don't think there is any real correlation here. I guess the argument Phil is making is that it speaks to his character or his intelligence, but I would not really agree there myself. He's a young guy with a lot of confidence who has already made a lot of money and happens to have a rich Dad. I don't really have a problem with him buying an expensive material possession. To me that doesn't mean he'll be good or bad.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 16, 2023, 02:24:51 PMI would further argue that elite college athletes have been getting things like sports cars and under the table cash for years. Many surely have who went on to spectacular careers. Boosters have done all kinds of things behind the scenes for these kids since time immemorial. If anything, I would argue that Shadeur's purchase of a car with his own legitimately, legally earned, taxed income is a lot better than a lot of shady stuff that has happened in the past. Bottom line I don't think there is any real correlation here. I guess the argument Phil is making is that it speaks to his character or his intelligence, but I would not really agree there myself. He's a young guy with a lot of confidence who has already made a lot of money and happens to have a rich Dad. I don't really have a problem with him buying an expensive material possession. To me that doesn't mean he'll be good or bad.

Here's the thing we don't know about his Bentley. He could have gotten it as as an in kind payment for making personal appearances and signing memorabilia for the dealer. He might not have paid cash for it.

There are a ton of professional athletes that a dominant at their profession and absolutely idiotic investors. Sucks for them long term but that isn't my primary concern as a fan.

Philosophers

It's a problem for us if he becomes a Giants QB. 

Read this:

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/generational-wealth%3A-why-do-70-of-families-lose-their-wealth-in-the-2nd-generation-2018-10?amp

Next gen following wealth creation are not driven to succeed like their predecessor family member generation who created the wealth.

There is so much statistical evidence about this.

Uni

Quote from: Philosophers on November 16, 2023, 01:59:07 PMI also wonder how good Daniels is given how talented his WRs are.  JJ has Roman Wilson who is at best a 3rd round draft pick.  While I love his heart and effort, Wilson does not have NFL athleticism. 
Chicken and egg situation: do Daniels' receivers make him look good or does Daniels make his receivers look good?

Jclayton92

Quote from: madbadger on November 16, 2023, 01:44:08 PMYou could have said the same thing of Joe Burrow and CJ Stroud, right? He scares me a bit because he isn't an elite passer but neither are Lamar Hackson and Jalen Hurts, two guys who would be massive improvements over Jones.
What I was referring to is whether Daniels is Hendon Hooker or Joe Burrow. Is he elite with elite talent or is he ok with elite talent.

Dgoodmantrublu

Daniels looks great to me. I think his athletic ability is off the charts. I think he's Lamar with a little bit better accuracy. I think Hooker would have been a first round pick last year if he didn't tear his ACL.

madbadger

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 16, 2023, 04:17:33 PMWhat I was referring to is whether Daniels is Hendon Hooker or Joe Burrow. Is he elite with elite talent or is he ok with elite talent.

I love Hookers game and the school is still out on if he is good or great with great receivers.

Philosophers

I saw Jayden Daniels in arguably his worst 2023 game against Florida State and he still looked good to me.

Honestly, I have not seen enough of Daniels to have a clear view one way or the other but as far as the other QBs, I am not completely sold on any of them.  I see traits I like.