News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would you trade the first overall pick to Buffalo for Josh Allen?

Started by DaveBrown74, November 16, 2023, 08:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sooners56

I'm going to say no but only because I believe Caleb Williams will be a star.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

T200

I would.

He's a known commodity and he'd be back with a coach he's comfortable with and more successful with than without.

And even if they pick Williams and he turns out to be a stud, they're in the AFC. We'll see him once every 4 years.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

AZGiantFan

Are those in favor considering the CAP effect?  If they do it the 2024 CAP hit for our QB room would be DJ's $47 million plus $30 million for Allen.  In 2025 cutting DJ would leave a residual $22 million CAP hit for him, while Allen's CAP hit would go up to $39 million.  If you QB room is hitting you for $77 million, then $61 million, AND you've given up the golden ticket for 2024, how to you build out the roster?

IMHO a move like this would reek of desperation.  It would make them the Browns of 2008.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Giant Obsession

gonna cost you at least ANOTHER #1 and a #2.  And a new negotiation of his salary coming up.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Dgoodmantrublu

You would need to convert the roster bonus to signing bonuses and add void years to spread that money around.

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 16, 2023, 10:19:07 PMYou have to take a guy that has proven to be an elite QB over a pick. 

Allen is a potential HOFer.  You draft a QB hoping to get a Josh Allen.  Having him immediately gives the team the best QB in the NFC hands down. 

Completely changes the course of the franchise.

If it happened it would take some creativity to make the salary cap work next year with Jones and Allen scheduled to count over 90 million combined.

Ed Vette

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 16, 2023, 11:21:41 PMAre those in favor considering the CAP effect?  If they do it the 2024 CAP hit for our QB room would be DJ's $47 million plus $30 million for Allen.  In 2025 cutting DJ would leave a residual $22 million CAP hit for him, while Allen's CAP hit would go up to $39 million.  If you QB room is hitting you for $77 million, then $61 million, AND you've given up the golden ticket for 2024, how to you build out the roster?

IMHO a move like this would reek of desperation.  It would make them the Browns of 2008.
I thought we were talking fantasy? Lol
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

BlueMoshik

I don't think Buffalo are that stupid. But if the opportuinity is there, you have to make such a trade.

The bigger question is whether Daboll survives. It's too early to tell right now. If he's not around next season, the trade no longer makes sense.

SlotCorner

If this is available you don't think twice, which is why its pure fantasy. Buffalo would have to go insane from lead poisoning or something.

MightyGiants

How has having Josh Allen helped the Bills?

On a related topic, it's disturbing that the team the Giants were modeling themselves after is having so many problems.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 17, 2023, 09:41:28 AMHow has having Josh Allen helped the Bills?

On a related topic, it's disturbing that the team the Giants were modeling themselves after is having so many problems.
Stefan Diggs wants out. Can't imagine why. He's the primary target. Allen needs more weapons.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 17, 2023, 09:41:28 AMHow has having Josh Allen helped the Bills?

They have gone much further in the postseason with him than they had since the Marv Levy era. His performance in KC in the AFC championship game a couple years ago was downright otherworldly, and the only reason the Bills lost that game was because their D was all-time pathetic, especially late in the game and in OT. But just to even be in the AFC championship game was a huge deal for that franchise. You're going back to the 90s for the last time that happened. Allen was the primary reason for it. So I'd say he has materially helped them. And he's only 27.

H-Town G-Fan

The Bills are 8th in Point Scored (26.2) and 5th in Points Allowed (18.4) in 2023. Even including a (relative) down season this year, they are 42-17 since Josh Allen began helming the team in 2020. Yes, they have failed to win a Super Bowl (as have most teams). But I think it's disingenuous to suggest they're anything other than one of the most successful NFL franchises over the past few years and Allen is assuredly a part of that. I would kill to have the Bills supposed "problems."

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 17, 2023, 09:46:38 AMThey have gone much further in the postseason with him than they had since the Marv Levy era. His performance in KC in the AFC championship game a couple years ago was downright otherworldly, and the only reason the Bills lost that game was because their D was all-time pathetic, especially late in the game and in OT. But just to even be in the AFC championship game was a huge deal for that franchise. You're going back to the 90s for the last time that happened. Allen was the primary reason for it. So I'd say he has materially helped them. And he's only 27.

Jeff,

Yesterday, I told you I thought Daniel Jones had a pretty good rookie season, with the exception of his high turnover rate.  This was how you responded:

QuoteThis sounds a bit like saying "she's good looking aside from her severe acne problem."

Ball security is a huge and very central part of playing the position. I don't see how it can be parsed out like this. Because he was so bad with ball security, to me his 2019 season was not good at all.

Now Consider Josh Allen's penchant for giving the ball to the other team

QuoteAllen leads the NFL in turnovers (14) and interceptions (11). He has six straight games with a pick. Allen had three of the Bills' four turnovers (two interceptions and a fumble) on Monday against Denver. For those of us who have long pointed out Allen's propensity to cough up the football with poor decision-making, and said it would one day catch up to him in a big way, well, we will not say we told you so.

Allen had a league-high 19 turnovers in 2022. This season he has more interceptions than Jordan Love (10), Mac Jones (10), Jimmy Garoppolo (nine), Sam Howell (nine), Pat Mahomes (eight) and Jalen Hurts (eight). He's just four interceptions away from tying a career high of 15 in 2021. Allen leads the NFL in lost fumbles with three.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/mike-freeman/2023/11/17/buffalo-bills-quarterback-josh-allen-problems/71585981007/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on November 17, 2023, 09:52:30 AMThe Bills are 8th in Point Scored (26.2) and 5th in Points Allowed (18.4) in 2023. Even including a (relative) down season this year, they are 42-17 since Josh Allen began helming the team in 2020. Yes, they have failed to win a Super Bowl (as have most teams). But I think it's disingenuous to suggest they're anything other than one of the most successful NFL franchises over the past few years and Allen is assuredly a part of that. I would kill to have the Bills supposed "problems."

Did you watch the video in the lead post?  The whole premise of this theoretical trade is based on Bill's head coach getting fired and the team being torn down.

That is certainly not the sort of "problems" most fans would kill to have.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE