News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

McKinney gone?

Started by LennG, November 17, 2023, 04:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

All I've been ready lately is that there is no way the Giants re-sign him again. WHY?
Because he is mouthing off because he wants to win that badly? I fully understand that you need to keep things in-house, but McKinney was a bright light until he got hurt. Can a player. all of a sudden, go from 'star' to dud?
Why are some so anxious to move on from him?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: LennG on November 17, 2023, 04:30:22 PMAll I've been ready lately is that there is no way the Giants re-sign him again. WHY?
Because he is mouthing off because he wants to win that badly? I fully understand that you need to keep things in-house, but McKinney was a bright light until he got hurt. Can a player. all of a sudden, go from 'star' to dud?

He hasn't been that good from my perspective. Expected much more of him. Would not want to give him what I anticipate he will want in FA. If it's reasonable, fine. But I would not pay close to the top of the market for him.

uconnjack8

McKinney has been upset about not getting a contract extension since training camp. 

My opinion is that he is a good safety not a great one and they don't want to pay a 2nd contract to a good safety.  It's one of the positions that good can be found on the 2nd day of the draft.

JT39

Cause he will want a ton more money than he deserves. He isn't that good

SlotCorner

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 17, 2023, 04:59:23 PMMcKinney has been upset about not getting a contract extension since training camp. 

My opinion is that he is a good safety not a great one and they don't want to pay a 2nd contract to a good safety.  It's one of the positions that good can be found on the 2nd day of the draft.

Exactly. He's not worth what he's asking, or they would have gotten it done already. He's a perfectly fine player but they can find a comparable player elsewhere for less than he wants. Schoen knows you can't hamstring yourself by giving out hometown premiums.

The comments about Wink and the dumbass accident last year don't help. You put up with those things from a superstar, not a good player.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: LennG on November 17, 2023, 04:30:22 PMAll I've been ready lately is that there is no way the Giants re-sign him again. WHY?

He hurt the team through the irresponsibility of HOW he got hurt.

He took things out to social media that should be kept in-house.

He's nowhere as good as he thinks he is.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

I honestly think scheme is hurting the defense especially Thibs, Dex, and Mckinney. Mckinney was thought to be a ball Hawk until Wink arrived and wink had him covering all the Rbs. Thibs and Dex should be the focus of the defense, scheming them opportunities at the Qb and yet wink has thibs in coverage or thibs and dex blocking for McFadden or a db to blitz. I just think with a different DC the perception of those 3 guys and Adoree are elevated.

LennG

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 17, 2023, 10:39:52 PMI honestly think scheme is hurting the defense especially Thibs, Dex, and Mckinney. Mckinney was thought to be a ball Hawk until Wink arrived and wink had him covering all the Rbs. Thibs and Dex should be the focus of the defense, scheming them opportunities at the Qb and yet wink has thibs in coverage or thibs and dex blocking for McFadden or a db to blitz. I just think with a different DC the perception of those 3 guys and Adoree are elevated.

I agree. McKinney was a star in the making when he became a Giant. Now he isn't as good as he thinks he is? Maybe it is the system that is holding him back.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

McKinney mouths off too much for a guy who (1) is an ok but not great player and (2) has missed very material time in two of his four seasons in the pros. How about being a more available and more consistent good player before you start whining to the media and calling people out?

McKinney is a good but definitely not great player at a non-premium position. I am not of the opinion that I definitely don't want to re-sign him, but I don't think they should pay up in any way. They should have a sensible number in mind, and if someone outbids them then so be it.

I'm not sure what the 2024 tag is for safeties but that could also be a consideration.

andrew_nyGiants

When I read about issues with a Safety (previously highly touted), OL (especially Neal, but others as well), and no GO TO GUY in the WR group; I cannot help but wonder where in the world the COACHING IS!!

Of all organized sports, the one MOST impacted by coaching is Football.

Is this the right staff? If Daboll is permitted to stay, will they hold him accountable to making changes to the staff?

Is this about the coordinators? Or the position coaches?

I see the talent out there, I don't see it used properly and in some cases simply undeveloped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

B1GBLUE

Honestly, apart from his one good season he's been average at best. i dont see him making many game changing plays. for the money he's probably going to get, we can get 2 guys that can fill the void. i wouldnt say he's more than a top 20 safety in the league.

Dgoodmantrublu

I think the hand injury has affected him and not a little bit. His tackling isn't the same. Pretty big deal for a safety.

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 18, 2023, 11:46:19 AMMcKinney mouths off too much for a guy who (1) is an ok but not great player and (2) has missed very material time in two of his four seasons in the pros. How about being a more available and more consistent good player before you start whining to the media and calling people out?

McKinney is a good but definitely not great player at a non-premium position. I am not of the opinion that I definitely don't want to re-sign him, but I don't think they should pay up in any way. They should have a sensible number in mind, and if someone outbids them then so be it.

I'm not sure what the 2024 tag is for safeties but that could also be a consideration.

Tag McKinney? Why would they even consider that? Love got $6 million and Schoen tried hard to extend him. I assure you the tag is way more than that. Just 4 years ago Landon Collins wasn't tagged when it was $11 million for safeties.

That being said here is my reminder that the Giants have not given a 2nd contract to a drafted safety since Shawn Williams in 2002. We just endlessly recycle them, draft their replacements, watch them struggle as they are rushed into starting roles, complain about them and wish them away. Rinse, repeat.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on November 18, 2023, 03:50:36 PMTag McKinney? Why would they even consider that? Love got $6 million and Schoen tried hard to extend him. I assure you the tag is way more than that. Just 4 years ago Landon Collins wasn't tagged when it was $11 million for safeties.

That being said here is my reminder that the Giants have not given a 2nd contract to a drafted safety since Shawn Williams in 2002. We just endlessly recycle them, draft their replacements, watch them struggle as they are rushed into starting roles, complain about them and wish them away. Rinse, repeat.

You're right. I had no idea the tag was as much as it is. The 2024 S franchise tag is $18.2mm. Obviously that's a non-starter. You can only do this with players who are excellent to elite at their position, which McKinney is most certainly not.

What sort of money would you be willing to hand McKinney on a second contract?

Woody

Nope let him go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk