News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Pull Tommy DeVito before he wins the Game!

Started by Ed Vette, November 19, 2023, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

files58

Is today an example of what Daboll can do with his own QB? DeVito did not make Jones look good today.

files58

In addition sacked 9 times and NO turnovers. If Jones played today and was sacked 9 times how many of you would think he would complete 69% of his passes, throw for 3 td's, and have a QB rating of 137 with no turnovers? Based on previous experience you just know there would have been at least a fumble, and a pick with Jones at QB. Now I'm not crowning DeVito as the next Unitas, no way. I've referred to him on this board as Tommy effing DeVito, and a North Jersey metaphor, but in fairness the kid impressed me today. Good for him.

Ed Vette

Quote from: files58 on November 19, 2023, 09:25:38 PMIn addition sacked 9 times and NO turnovers. If Jones played today and was sacked 9 times how many of you would think he would complete 69% of his passes, throw for 3 td's, and have a QB rating of 137 with no turnovers? Based on previous experience you just know there would have been at least a fumble, and a pick with Jones at QB. Now I'm not crowning DeVito as the next Unitas, no way. I've referred to him on this board as Tommy effing DeVito, and a North Jersey metaphor, but in fairness the kid impressed me today. Good for him.
The thing that impressed me about Tommy in Training Camp was the very first day, Rich and I said he didn't belong on the same field with these players. Then every day he got better and improved an aspect of his game. I don't know what his ceiling is but I thought he had a chance to replace Tyrod as the backup once his contract expired.

He's a feel good story of a down to Earth Jersey boy and he's easy to root for. I'm now very interested in seeing if he can continue to elevate his game. This week he stayed in the pocket and continually kept looking for an open man. Even when he escaped the pocket and rolled out he hit Saquon for a TD. Last week that was a liability in his game.

I want to see him determine presnap who his check down is and I want to see a quick release when he needs to avoid a sack. Some of those sacks were on him today. He also tended to stick with a receiver until he got open and missed some opportunities like the left sideline wheel route by Barkley.

Let's see what he looks like next week. One thing for sure is that his arm is strong enough to play in this league contrary to some criticism. He does however lack the deep pass ability unless he sets up properly. Notice how Hyatt had route adjustments and I suspect that his snap count was reduced.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 19, 2023, 08:07:47 PMLiking the way he plays and him actually having a chance to become a good starter are not mutually exclusive.

In fact it's what got the Giants in this mess to begin with. Mara and a chunk of the fan base got so infatuated with how hard someone played and liking that person that they completely ignored how horrible his stats and play were.

Jones has become tentative and inaccurate- plays scared
This likely cannot be reversed at this point

DeVito plays smart and fearlessly, throws a beautiful ball

Jones would have lost badly yesterday
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 19, 2023, 09:48:55 PMThe thing that impressed me about Tommy in Training Camp was the very first day, Rich and I said he didn't belong on the same field with these players. Then every day he got better and improved an aspect of his game. I don't know what his ceiling is but I thought he had a chance to replace Tyrod as the backup once his contract expired.

He's a feel good story of a down to Earth Jersey boy and he's easy to root for. I'm now very interested in seeing if he can continue to elevate his game. This week he stayed in the pocket and continually kept looking for an open man. Even when he escaped the pocket and rolled out he hit Saquon for a TD. Last week that was a liability in his game.

I want to see him determine presnap who his check down is and I want to see a quick release when he needs to avoid a sack. Some of those sacks were on him today. He also tended to stick with a receiver until he got open and missed some opportunities like the left sideline wheel route by Barkley.

Let's see what he looks like next week. One thing for sure is that his arm is strong enough to play in this league contrary to some criticism. He does however lack the deep pass ability unless he sets up properly. Notice how Hyatt had route adjustments and I suspect that his snap count was reduced.

Lets not order a gold jacket yet and put him in Canton. I am sure Belichick was watching and while the Pats are not very good , Belichick will devise  a defense that will be a real test for Devito

Ed Vette

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on November 20, 2023, 05:20:38 AMLets not order a gold jacket yet and put him in Canton. I am sure Belichick was watching and while the Pats are not very good , Belichick will devise  a defense that will be a real test for Devito
So my comment that he had a chance to be a backup led you to interpret it to mean Gold Jacket.   
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin