News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What’s the biggest disconnect between the national media and the fans perspectiv

Started by shadowspinner0, November 24, 2023, 05:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowspinner0

Whether they are more positive or negative despite you thinking the opposite. For me is that while QB play is bad, OL is tiers below the list of problems the media blames for the Giants bad season. he attitude is usually "yeah the OL stinks BUT THE QB...". And I'm not defending Jones, I want a new QB drafted but it seems like the people don't watch games and just blame the QB by default because they already hated him. Also the narrative that "they paid Jones 40 mil and didn't pay their best player", when there were more nuances and factors to went along with that situation rather than the team choosing Jones over Barkley.

Dgoodmantrublu

People blaming QB more than OL are correct. I'm not going to rehash it, but it was not the OL forcing Jones to not see the field and to constantly throw into trap coverages. The team has made more big plays through the air per game with other QBs.

Philosophers

The national media does lazy analysis to draw conclusions however they dont have a bias.  Fans see more detail but they come with huge biases.

Jclayton92

The local media looked like fools this offseason. The greatest show on turf, and how potent this offense was going to be etc etc when they knew the whole time we had the same qb. Like he was going to magically start throwing for 300 yards a game when he could barely Crack 200 last season was wild to me.

MightyGiants

Here's a disconnect

When DJ had Toney and Ritchie James as his WRs they blamed Jones and said he should make those around them better

When Mahomes has Toney and Ritchie James as WRs 3 and 4, they say Mahomes can't be expected to perform well with such poor receivers
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 25, 2023, 09:09:25 AMHere's a disconnect

When DJ had Toney and Ritchie James as his WRs they blamed Jones and said he should make those around them better

When Mahomes has Toney and Ritchie James as WRs 3 and 4, they say Mahomes can't be expected to perform well with such poor receivers

I thought Jones and James had a good thing going.  They were in synch.
James and Hodgins were Jones go to targets at the end of the 2022 season
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Doc16LT56

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 25, 2023, 09:09:25 AMHere's a disconnect

The disconnect is Pat Mahomes went into this week 6th in passing yards and 6th in passing TDs. Daniel Jones doesn't exist in the same universe.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 25, 2023, 10:31:37 AMThe disconnect is Pat Mahomes went into this week 6th in passing yards and 6th in passing TDs. Daniel Jones doesn't exist in the same universe.

So you, @kingm56, and @DaveBrown74 are acknowledging the best QB in the league has dropped out of the top 5 by having DJ's starting WRs as his backups.  interesting
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 25, 2023, 01:33:01 PMSo you, @kingm56, and @DaveBrown74 are acknowledging the best QB in the league has dropped out of the top 5 by having DJ's starting WRs as his backups.  interesting

You do this often, and are always proven incorrect. Last year you tried to spin this narrative after one game without Hill; all Mahomes did was finish #1 in passing. You also tried it with Burrow.  At the end of this year, Mahomes will be what he's always been, a Pro Bowl QB leading his double-digit win team to another playoff appearance. I would also bet he finishes in the top 5.  You're attempting to spin the narrative that Mahones is not performing well without top tier WRs, which is as false a narrative as your thread regarding DJs contract.  Does it really matter if he's 5 or 6?  Does it prove anything?  He's still wildly regarded as the undisputed #1 QB. That's the point Doc was making.

It's time to let go the notion that DJ was a top tier QB, who was held back by his supporting cast.   Said narrative has been summerly rejected. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on November 25, 2023, 02:52:34 PMYou do this often, and are always proven incorrect.

It's remarkable that you refuse to acknowledge the importance of receivers, O-line, and coaching when it comes to a QB's performance
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dgoodmantrublu

It is remarkable that no matter what, the performance of Jones is never his own fault. Trap coverages still confuse him in year 5. Over and over again. That is the fault of no one but himself.

DaveBrown74

I have personally grown weary of the Jones stuff. It is just really old now. It's been the same old conversation over and over again for over four years now. Same old lousy results on the field too.

We all know his time as a Giant is almost over. It would be 100% over were it not for the fact that not a single team in the league, even the absolute dumbest teams, would even consider taking him. Even if you just offered Jones up to the league and asked for nothing in return, nobody would touch that wretched contract. We very literally cannot give him away. That alone speaks volumes.

The Giants believed in Jones. They used a very high pick on him. They hard-sold him to the fans. They made sure their parade of obsequious beat writers, ex-players, and other shills fell in line. They tolerated very poor play, year after year, and blamed other players and coaches for it while hoping he'd get better. They paid him more than he ever deserved, both by virtue of over-drafting him and then again with the second contract they handed him last spring. He played QB here for five seasons (minus the many games he missed due to his serial lack of durability).

He may have had his very occasional, fleeting moments, but in the final analysis, he failed.

There are various ways to try to spin or whitewash the above facts, but those are indeed the facts.

Let's hope the next QB they ultimately settle on is significantly better. I just want this team to start consistently winning, and while a lot goes into that, one thing is for sure: you need much better QB play than what we have been getting to consistently win. Let's hope they address this glaring need successfully and we can move on from this brutal era.

BluesCruz

I think if you put Jones in another environment he might flourish.....maybe the Patriots?

I think he is just a bad fit for the Giants.

Tommy is a better fit   That kid from LSU would be a nice pick up too
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

nb587

Before the season started, the win total for the Giants was 7 or 7 1/2.  I think it started at 6 1/2.  Most here and other Giants forums were convinced the over was a lock; many predicted double digit wins.  Most of the "experts" that I heard were for the under and the primary reason was no confidence in Jones.  It was not even the OL.  The experts who went for the over were mostly about the superior coaching.  I know the lines put out by Vegas reflect an effort to balance wagering but the initial line is based on assumptions by super smart people.  I know they messed up last year but that doesn't happen too often.

MightyGiants

Quote from: nb587 on November 25, 2023, 08:12:56 PMBefore the season started, the win total for the Giants was 7 or 7 1/2.  I think it started at 6 1/2.  Most here and other Giants forums were convinced the over was a lock; many predicted double digit wins.  Most of the "experts" that I heard were for the under and the primary reason was no confidence in Jones.  It was not even the OL.  The experts who went for the over were mostly about the superior coaching.  I know the lines put out by Vegas reflect an effort to balance wagering but the initial line is based on assumptions by super smart people.  I know they messed up last year but that doesn't happen too often.

I agree many thought the Giants would be the over, but after the past decade I don't think any thought it was a "lock"
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE