News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Pats fans do not seem to think their team will tank

Started by BluesCruz, November 26, 2023, 07:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

A quick look around their message board led me to believe they think Belichick is
coaching for his job.  He will do whatever it takes to win

Also they apparently have a very poor offense.

This tells me they will try to stop DeVito in his tracks.  Tough test for Tommy coming up today.

I expect Belichick to try to force Tommy D out of the pocket.....

I have faith Tommy will overcome whatever Bill throws at him.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

They're starting Mac Jones, although I'm not sure that tells you anything about them tanking or not.

I personally don't think the Pats are tanking. Not at all, actually. I mean for starters, shockingly, they didn't trade anyone away ahead of the deadline. I thought that was crazy given the season they're having. I think Belichick is leaving and doesn't feel the incentive to automatically lose. In fact I think he still badly wants to win. Here are the all time leaders for head coaching wins. Belichick still has to win 29 more games if he wants to singlehandedly own the all-time record, which Shula presently holds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_head_coach_wins_leaders

Given he's 71, every win matters now. 29 more wins from here is going to likely take three more seasons after this season, and that's assuming none of those three are stinkers. You better believe he wants that record as part of his legacy. The six SB wins are great, but being the winningest all time on top of that is huge too. He wants it. I think he cares a hell of a lot more about that than trying to set up a team that appears to be running him out of town with a great QB after he leaves.

BluesCruz

Suprised to see Reeves in that list

As for Mac Jones.  I always thought of him as a solid but not spectacular QB
kind of a mirror image of our Jones

What transpires today will go a long way to showing us just how good DeVito really is

Ed Vette

It's not in his DNA to tank. Andy Reid can be a contender for most wins. He's at his peak in his twilight years.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 26, 2023, 08:28:24 AMIt's not in his DNA to tank. Andy Reid can be a contender for most wins. He's at his peak in his twilight years.

I pondered Reid as well. I think it's possible, but I think it's going to be pretty tough. No doubt by just sticking around where he is with Mahomes still set to be delivering prime caliber years for at least another 7-8 years, it's not unrealistic to think Reid could average 12 or 12.5 win seasons for the next 8 years, out to age 73. Assuming there are no big problems with Mahomes, you could not unrealistically see him get to something like 330-335 total by the end of the 2032 season, if he indeed coaches that long. Right now, that would be good for the record. The thing is, I suspect Belichick is well aware of that and probably hopes to not just pass Shula by one, but retire comfortably above him. If he goes to the Chargers or some other team that has a QB and can win now with improved coaching, he could potentially do that if he hangs around long enough.

Belichick strikes me as the type of guy who has no desire to retire. Obviously I don't know him and would not presume to know for sure what he is thinking, but he strikes me as one of these types of people who wonders what the hell he is supposed to do all day without professional football in his life. He probably has no desire to retire, albeit I'm sure he hasn't enjoyed the last couple seasons that much. I could see him coaching until at least 76 or 77 if he finds a situation he is happy with and is having success with. That could put him at something like 365 total wins no problem. I think it would be hard for Reid to touch that.

spiderblue43

Lil Bill wants the record. Can't see him tanking ..it's a legacy thing. Pats will play to win. :yes:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: spiderblue43 on November 26, 2023, 11:00:22 AMLil Bill wants the record. Can't see him tanking ..it's a legacy thing. Pats will play to win. :yes:

Yup. And I really doubt Belichick and his whole staff want to lose to DeVito. I doubt Mac Jones or any of these other guys do either.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 26, 2023, 11:12:33 AMYup. And I really doubt Belichick and his whole staff want to lose to DeVito. I doubt Mac Jones or any of these other guys do either.

Curious what you thought of DeVito's performance today.....MEH or any time you beat Bill it a positive?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 26, 2023, 04:18:01 PMCurious what you thought of DeVito's performance today.....MEH or any time you beat Bill it a positive?

I thought he played well. I'm not going to get too swept off my feet about a sub 200 passing yard performance and 10 points on a board in a game where the Pats turned it over three times, but I thought he did a solid enough job.

Dgoodmantrublu

DeVito was not good today. Threw some ducks. He has no pocket presence at all. More sacks created by him moving right into rushers instead of resetting in the pocket. We threw for under 200 yards. He was bailed out by the Giants defense. The one thing he did well was not throwing interceptions. But you can't beat good teams with QB play like this.

coggs

Patriots do not need to "tank" in order to lose games. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 26, 2023, 04:53:25 PMDeVito was not good today. Threw some ducks. He has no pocket presence at all. More sacks created by him moving right into rushers instead of resetting in the pocket. We threw for under 200 yards. He was bailed out by the Giants defense. The one thing he did well was not throwing interceptions. But you can't beat good teams with QB play like this.

7.6 YPA and a 104 rating in a game where there were some ridiculously bad drops. I'm not praising him effusively in any way, and I am certainly not any part of this growing camp of fans who seem to want to make him next year's starter, but I wouldn't say he was bad today. It wasn't just dink and dunk like it always is with Jones. At least he took some downfield shots and completed them in wet conditions. And like you said his ball security has been commendable (both today and last week) despite facing plenty of heat.

On the negative side, I think he holds the ball too long, a problem we are used to with Jones.

I don't think he is very good, but I think he has a not unrealistic chance of becoming an NFL backup.

TDToomer

Quote from: coggs on November 26, 2023, 05:18:58 PMPatriots do not need to "tank" in order to lose games. 

They did today. Calling run plays when down by 3 they made sure that they were only playing for a FG. Then an easy kick sails wide left.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on November 26, 2023, 05:37:37 PMThey did today. Calling run plays when down by 3 they made sure that they were only playing for a FG. Then an easy kick sails wide left.

To be fair their QB play was pitiful so I can't really fault them for running.

The kick was ridiculous though. I thought that was really suspect. Can't prove anything obviously, but it was a perfect snap and hold and it just looked like he intentionally pushed it to me.

Dgoodmantrublu

That kicker sucks. Now 12 for 18 for the season. Fine by 1976 standards. Awful for today's kicking standards.