News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants vs Pats game thread

Started by MightyGiants, November 26, 2023, 12:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coggs

Quote from: GeauxJints on November 26, 2023, 04:36:43 PMThis is an obvious stretch but Tommy Devito just did what rookie QBs can never do in beating BB. Wasn't the prettiest, but great QB rating for him.

My question is, if Tommy continues to play well and we get a few more W's and he improves every game, is there a point that you think hey, this guy can be a Brock Purdy if we put him in the right system?

And that "right" system probably wound't be designed by Kafka. The kid throws a nice accurate long ball, can we get that designed to happen more often please.
OBVIOUS stretch?  The world's greatest yoga instructors wish they had the ability to stretch like this

killarich

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 26, 2023, 04:48:20 PMIt doesn't work for anyone.  I suggest you take a hard look at the players on the best olines in the league.  A clue - not many high draft choices.  They have Thomas, who was nearly a bust because of initial bad coaching.  They have JMS but they don't yet know what he is.  They have Neal, who is increasingly looking like Flowers 2.0.

The answer isn't high draft choices, it is better evaluation of oline talent and MUCH better coaching, IMO.

I'm not doubting what you are saying

I agree on both points

But besides qb ... o-line is still an obvious need.... If you think you have another Andrew Thomas at pick #10 or where ever we are drafting to play RT I don't see how you can pass on him

And in the second round you have an obvious plug n play like JMS to play one of the guard spots I also don't think you pass on it

But I agree coaching is very flawed on all aspects offensively

GloryDays

Quote from: Philosophers on November 26, 2023, 04:39:00 PMIf your problem is still the OL no matter how much draft capital you've invested, how do you not keep investing in it when it is clearly the worst position group on the team and the primary reason the offense cant do anything?

What is the stat now, 26 sacks given up in the last 4 games?  99% of QBs can't function in those conditions game in and game out.

What do you think an improved D will get us?  Still a 3-4 win type team.
Our scouts or whoever has the final say on the Oline draft picks has no eye for line talent... you start right there and make the right changes.

Philosophers

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on November 26, 2023, 04:43:10 PMIf as you outline, the problem is OL no matter how much draft capital is invested; perhaps it's not the draft but the teachers who give the strongest opinion on the position and then fail to develop the players drafted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I never said "do not replace the teacher."  That's move #1 and we all agree on that.  I still think we need more help.  Thomas has been dinged up nearly every year.  Eze and Neal have missed enough time to warrant concern.  Our youngsters are more beaten up than people realize.

NY47GIANTS

They should get this Devito kid signed long term with a low dollar per year average.

That way they can afford to renegotiate the Danrel Jones contract, extend him, and give him even more money per touchdown.

$50 million per year, or $3.33mil per TD sounds fair. Who says no??!?

With the new Burrow and Mahommes deals done, Danrel is being criminally underpaid.

The key is obviously getting the right deal done with Devito.

That way Devito can continue to play QB for this franchise and the owner and fanbase can continue to make excuses for why Danrel can't do what Devito does.

WIN / WIN

:no:

:surrender:

An Undrafted Free Agent rookie QB, that lives at home with his parents still, and is being used for clickbait and cheezy feel-good commercials, is outperforming our $40mil a year QB in every single stat or metric relevant to a Quarterback.  Redfaced

If it hasn't already; let that sink in...

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Stringer Bell on November 26, 2023, 04:31:59 PMDisagree. Worth struggling for more than half of their new QB's rookie deal? That completely defeats the purpose of having a good, young QB.

They're now looking at pick #10. To get to #2, they'd need to trade #10, their 2nd rounder, and next year's 1st. So you're trading 3 starters for 1 on a team that desperately needs to fill multiple positions in their starting lineup.

You're trading away the ability to select a plug and play starter on the OL by trading that 2nd rounder. And given they will struggle, you're trading a 1st rounder in 2025 that will be a top 10 pick.

The fact is these 2 meaningless wins have put this team in a terrible spot.

Where do you see us as being 10th right now? Tankathon has us at 6th with the 4-8 record.

Jclayton92

It's amazing how much of a dude Hyatt is when even a remotely competent Qb is throwing the ball.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 26, 2023, 06:21:20 PMIt's amazing how much of a dude Hyatt is when even a remotely competent Qb is throwing the ball.

Yup. I think we have a stud on our hands with him, or at least a very good player. He glides like a gazelle out there and, contrary to what I have seen implied in some reports, he's not just a straight line fast guy a la John Ross. He had a very deft move today that bought him a lot of YACs. He also has legit hands.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: killarich on November 26, 2023, 04:56:42 PMI'm not doubting what you are saying

I agree on both points

But besides qb ... o-line is still an obvious need.... If you think you have another Andrew Thomas at pick #10 or where ever we are drafting to play RT I don't see how you can pass on him

And in the second round you have an obvious plug n play like JMS to play one of the guard spots I also don't think you pass on it

But I agree coaching is very flawed on all aspects offensively

A guy who's played 8 games with a sub-50 pff grade is hardly an obvious plug and play.  I'd suggest unproven with potential would be a more accurate descriptor.  It is a sign of our desperation for a ray of online hope that we try to elevate him.  Plus, he couldn't stay healthy.

I wouldn't spend more than the second second rounder on an olineman.  If that. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: GloryDays on November 26, 2023, 04:59:30 PMOur scouts or whoever has the final say on the Oline draft picks has no eye for line talent... you start right there and make the right changes.

And after you bring in someone who DOES have an eye for O-line talent you follow up by bringing in an online coach who knows how to develop them.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Woody

I agree with what is being said about the Diveto / Jones comparison to a point ...but let's remember  who he has won games against......Washington and Pats. Not the best teams the NFL has to offer.  I think that Jones and Taylor may have won these two games also... I hope he continues to due well but let's see how he does against the better teams in league before he becomes a good option to be the guy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

killarich

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 26, 2023, 06:40:29 PMA guy who's played 8 games with a sub-50 pff grade is hardly an obvious plug and play.  I'd suggest unproven with potential would be a more accurate descriptor.  It is a sign of our desperation for a ray of online hope that we try to elevate him.  Plus, he couldn't stay healthy.

I just feel like we can say the same thing literally about every position

Thomas worked out, Neal not so much

We could def strike gold in the second round.... But picking a QB in the first round is just as risky as the O-line

I just dont think we should reach..  I also dont think we should reach for a tackle.. im just trying to guess where best available/need will be at when we pick

londonblue

IMO given we will likely pick 4-8 and miss out on the top 2 QBs I think our plan will be to upgrade QB2 from Taylor in free agency, continue to work on TdV, slide back slightly in R1 and focus our high picks on OL, Edge, DL to try to improve our foundation.

Neal will get a chance to back-up Thomas at LT or play G as he is lost at RT. We have to replace Leo and Azeez can only be ED3 at best given his health issues. I know QB is THE issue but we won't have the ammo to fix it unless we hit with a day 2/3 dice roll as others have.

I strongly prefer building the lines through the draft but even R1 league wide barely has a 50% hit rate and we are definitely not better than average with our high picks. I know many here may hate continuing to roll the dice on the same needs but the 2024 free agent T class is ugly as always so we simply may not have much choice...though Bobby Johnson must be fired no matter what we do.

Unless Jones has an unexpected resurgence it will be another long 2024 season but some of us always thought we were 2-3 years from competing and with hindsight last season simply hid flaws and, together with iffy drafting, pushed back the start of the rebuild.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

kingm56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 26, 2023, 06:40:29 PMA guy who's played 8 games with a sub-50 pff grade is hardly an obvious plug and play.  I'd suggest unproven with potential would be a more accurate descriptor.  It is a sign of our desperation for a ray of online hope that we try to elevate him.  Plus, he couldn't stay healthy.

To continue your thought, JMS is way too small to play G.  He's struggled this year against bull rushers and moving DTs off the LOS; putting him at G would exaggerate those deficiencies.  I also agree that spending a premium pick on another G/C is unwise; the Giants lack skill at the premium positions, which they must address.