News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants fall to No. 6 in 2024 NFL Draft after beating Patriots

Started by LennG, November 26, 2023, 08:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

spiderblue43

Don't think they have anymore wins with Tommy Gun.

Packers..Saints .Rams..Eagles..last game is a possible tank job but they have to beat Dallas..Niners.

DaveBrown74

Yep.. we're just about out of the running for one of Maye or Williams. Definitely a shame as this is going to go down as a very forgettable season no matter what. We'll end up drafting some O lineman and running it back with Jones, DeVito, and either Taylor or some other journeyman vet again.

And I can almost guarantee you that one year from today fans will still be complaining about the O line.

You won't hear the O line complaining stop until we have a new QB who is actually a legit talent.

Jaime

I believe we have a QB who is a legit talent that eliminates the need to Draft a top tier QB.
I know this sounds like a broken record, but focusing on our OL will generate the most significant upgrade of our Team.
We have a LT and a C. So we need a LG, RG, & a RT. We should Draft a RT & LG, and sign a FA RG. This pursuit provides us with a Vet playing next to a Rook.
As Neal is a bust as a RT, likely he's moved to RG. Just don't want to count on him being a Player.

Dgoodmantrublu

This was a disaster. DeVito is a backup at best. You have more pocket presence than him. We beat a crap team because of all the turnover again. He didn't put together a single long scoring drive. This win was bad for the future of the franchise. We better trade up for a QB.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 26, 2023, 09:59:46 PMThis was a disaster. DeVito is a backup at best. You have more pocket presence than him. We beat a crap team because of all the turnover again. He didn't put together a single long scoring drive. This win was bad for the future of the franchise. We better trade up for a QB.

And what would you want the team to do, not play to win? I do agree that DeVito is nothing more than a back up QB . He is not the second coming of Brock Purdy or Tom Brady .

katkavage

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on November 27, 2023, 01:40:38 AMAnd what would you want the team to do, not play to win? I do agree that DeVito is nothing more than a back up QB . He is not the second coming of Brock Purdy or Tom Brady .
No, the players will always play to win. But Sunday showed one team that truly tanked. And it also highlighted, at least to me, if you watched other games, in particular, the Eagles/Bills, how far the Giants are from seriously competing without talent at the QB position. Until they get legitimate talent at that position, they will remain light years away.

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 26, 2023, 08:49:04 PMYep.. we're just about out of the running for one of Maye or Williams. Definitely a shame as this is going to go down as a very forgettable season no matter what. We'll end up drafting some O lineman and running it back with Jones, DeVito, and either Taylor or some other journeyman vet again.

And I can almost guarantee you that one year from today fans will still be complaining about the O line.

Let me remind everyone that EVERY year we say that the "draft is a crapshoot"   Also the Texans screwed themselves last year by winning their final game and dropping out of slot #1 to slot # 2.  They "settled" for CJ Stroud instead of most everyones #1  Bryce Young.  How did that turn out?   The Texans would make that trade every Week

You won't hear the O line complaining stop until we have a new QB who is actually a legit talent.

Dumpster Dan

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on November 27, 2023, 05:46:03 AMDumpster Dan

Fair enough Dan. But simply put, it doesn't matter that the Texans settled, they were in the position to draft 1 of the 2 QBs. At 6, the Giants won't be in that position.

Torus34

It was good to see the New Jersey Giants win again. Mr. Thomas DeVito did enough for the win, and at day's end that's the job of a QB: to end the game with at least one more point than the opponents.

I'm reminded of the story of the politician who, when told he won by 11 votes, remarked, "Yup. 10 more votes than I needed."

This armchair observer will be watching to see if Mr. DeVito shows game-to-game improvement. I'll also be watching to see if the coaches can instill some anti-flag discipline where needed.

As to draft picks, there will be some possible offensive team front five picks available.

Go flag-free, Big Blue.

GeauxJints

Do we think Daniels can slide to the #6 spot? I know we still have games left but WASH right ahead of us, and I can see them moving on from Howell. Really don't want to have to trade up and waste capital.  :doh:

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 26, 2023, 08:49:04 PMYep.. we're just about out of the running for one of Maye or Williams. Definitely a shame as this is going to go down as a very forgettable season no matter what. We'll end up drafting some O lineman and running it back with Jones, DeVito, and either Taylor or some other journeyman vet again.

Why wouldn't they complain about the OL?  I think they're up to 62 sacks.  They're primarily the ones to blame.

They gave up friggin 6 sacks to the Patriots, the worst team in the league.  That's how bad the OL is.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on November 27, 2023, 01:40:38 AMAnd what would you want the team to do, not play to win? I do agree that DeVito is nothing more than a back up QB . He is not the second coming of Brock Purdy or Tom Brady .

I would never advocate any sort of illicit directive to having the players on the field not play their hardest. Not only is that unethical, but it would be an almost impossible secret to keep.

Where I think the Giants could have been smarter would have been offloading more vets for picks prior to the deadline, particularly ones they don't definitely envision re-signing. The Williams trade was a good one, but they could have done more.

katkavage

The Giants have beaten two 2-win teams and the very sad Commanders twice. Please don't sugar coat how bad the Giants are especially the QB position.

zephirus

Not only do we drop to 6, we could drop a few more spots during the bye.  There are 4 teams at 4-7, two of whom has SOS lower than the Giants.  So we could be sitting at 8 by the time we play the next game if the Bucs and Jets were to lose next weekend.