News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

College QBs Nix and Penix - not seeing it as of today

Started by Bob In PA, December 02, 2023, 08:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Last night gave a good view of Bo Nix and Michael Penix, Jr. 

As of now, Nix has one remaining game and Penix has at least one more (plus invitational games). This is what I believe as of today.

Either guy certainly can compete and play some role in the NFL, but they are very different prospects.

Nix - has a few technical issues with mechanics; valiant and competitive; seems like the players think well of him. If he fails it won't be because he can't run the ball. Was nervous last night but quickly got into the game. Tongue-in-cheek, I'd say he'd be a perfect replacement for Daniel Jones (IMO he's the same guy). Those who can't wait to get rid of Jones should beware. Nix will have his shot in the NFL, but I wouldn't bet on him succeeding as a starter.

Penix - This guy is unique, and not just because he's left-handed. The bad news - his mechanics are awful; but his delivery is as quick as it can be with those mechanics. Brings it up from the ground. I don't know how that will play out in the NFL, but I suspect not very well.  The good news - his accuracy is terrific.  How he can throw that way so accurately is a mystery. Has a cleverness about him that reminds me of Mahomes (not his scrambling ability but his look-offs and view of the field seems to be excellent). The verdict - this guy is boom or bust. His success will depend on going to a team that does NOT try to change him. If a coaching staff leaves him alone, he has a small chance to success, but any success will probably be significant success.  I strongly suspect that any attempts to alter his mechanics will destroy his accuracy, but he's clever and football-smart (not very physical; probably won't last long on a team with a bad offense line).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 02, 2023, 08:28:36 AMLast night gave a good view of Bo Nix and Michael Penix, Jr. 

As of now, Nix has one remaining game and Penix has at least one more (plus invitational games). This is what I believe as of today.

Either guy certainly can compete and play some role in the NFL, but they are very different prospects.

Nix - has a few technical issues with mechanics; valiant and competitive; seems like the players think well of him. If he fails it won't be because he can't run the ball. Was nervous last night but quickly got into the game. Tongue-in-cheek, I'd say he'd be a perfect replacement for Daniel Jones (IMO he's the same guy). Those who can't wait to get rid of Jones should beware. Nix will have his shot in the NFL, but I wouldn't bet on him succeeding as a starter.

Penix - This guy is unique, and not just because he's left-handed. The bad news - his mechanics are awful; but his delivery is as quick as it can be with those mechanics. Brings it up from the ground. I don't know how that will play out in the NFL, but I suspect not very well.  The good news - his accuracy is terrific.  How he can throw that way so accurately is a mystery. Has a cleverness about him that reminds me of Mahomes (not his scrambling ability but his look-offs and view of the field seems to be excellent). The verdict - this guy is boom or bust. His success will depend on going to a team that does NOT try to change him. If a coaching staff leaves him alone, he has a small chance to success, but any success will probably be significant success.  I strongly suspect that any attempts to alter his mechanics will destroy his accuracy, but he's clever and football-smart (not very physical; probably won't last long on a team with a bad offense line).

Bob

Schoen needs to put you on the payroll, Bob.

H-Town G-Fan

Nix was definitely resilient and competitive (specifically the end of first half and beginning second half putting them back in the game). But that was about it that impressed me. May not be his best game to judge off of.

Penix's delivery looked max effort on every throw, which is concerning. But I did come away impressed with his ball placement (though I also thought his receivers did him more favors than Nix).

Not overly enthused with either after this game. Obviously a lot more film out there than just last night's effort, though.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 02, 2023, 08:28:36 AMLast night gave a good view of Bo Nix and Michael Penix, Jr. 

Bob

Great post Bob.

I agree about Nix. There are things to like with him, and I agree he will "get his shot" in the NFL, but I don't see stardom for him myself. Needless to say I could be dead wrong, but that is my gut instinct.

Agree Penix is a bit trickier to handicap. I'd say his ceiling is higher than Nix's, but he may have a lower floor as well. Personally, given our inability to manage player's health in even a league-average way, I'd rather pass on a guy who has already had two ACLs. Even if we were better in the health-management department, I think that's a huge red flag. And while I don't think one needs to be a QB who rushes for 500 yards in the NFL, having basically no scrambling ability is tough these days.

Both are a pass for me in the top 15, which is where we will be picking. Of course, if our front office differs with me having done their due diligence, I will fully support them until I see the pick fail on the field.

Jclayton92

I like the TE Ferguson from Oregon and both of the Wrs from Washington more than I do either QB.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 02, 2023, 09:52:10 AMGreat post Bob.

I agree about Nix. There are things to like with him, and I agree he will "get his shot" in the NFL, but I don't see stardom for him myself. Needless to say I could be dead wrong, but that is my gut instinct.

Agree Penix is a bit trickier to handicap. I'd say his ceiling is higher than Nix's, but he may have a lower floor as well. Personally, given our inability to manage player's health in even a league-average way, I'd rather pass on a guy who has already had two ACLs. Even if we were better in the health-management department, I think that's a huge red flag. And while I don't think one needs to be a QB who rushes for 500 yards in the NFL, having basically no scrambling ability is tough these days.

Both are a pass for me in the top 15, which is where we will be picking. Of course, if our front office differs with me having done their due diligence, I will fully support them until I see the pick fail on the field.

The Giants need to find  a QB who can create in traffic. Line play is and will continue to be problematic for most teams. The most successful QBs in today's NFL have the ability to have success when things break down. I would emphasize that quality but of course not neglect the other skills needed

Gmo11

I prefer Nix to Penix. I like his overall game better and coupled with the major injury red flags with Penix I lean Nix. Although for me hes in the tier below the big 3 of Williams Maye and Daniels. I'd be annoyed if they took him in the top 10 but would likely talk myself into it by training camp. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though and they just take Daniels.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Gmo11 on December 02, 2023, 10:35:22 AMI prefer Nix to Penix. I like his overall game better and coupled with the major injury red flags with Penix I lean Nix. Although for me hes in the tier below the big 3 of Williams Maye and Daniels. I'd be annoyed if they took him in the top 10 but would likely talk myself into it by training camp. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though and they just take Daniels.
Daniels has a nice upside. I would be fine with that pick and one of his Receivers named Nabers.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 02, 2023, 10:03:27 AMI like the TE Ferguson from Oregon and both of the Wrs from Washington more than I do either QB.
I like Ferguson. The only Talent Nix had of any worth.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Bob

Bob - you brought up a great point in a future NFL coach trying to change Penix's mechanics and potential resulting disaster.  Every team coaching staff likes to tweak mechanics on players.  Can see disaster if they do that to Penix.  Mahomes throws from different arm angles, but I think fundamentally he has solid traditional mechanics.

I don't like Penix or Nix enough to want to see them on the Giants.