News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: NCAA Playoffs

Started by uconnjack8, December 02, 2023, 11:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think should be in the NCAA Playoffs?

Michigan
22 (95.7%)
Washington
19 (82.6%)
Florida State
9 (39.1%)
Texas
16 (69.6%)
Alabama
15 (65.2%)
Georgia
10 (43.5%)
Liberty
0 (0%)
Ohio State
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: December 04, 2023, 11:46:50 PM

sooners56

Texas is in over Bama. Both conference champs. Both 12-1 but Texas beat Bama in Alabama. Texas should be in. If not, why play the game 🤷🏼�♂️
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 03, 2023, 10:16:56 AMI struggle to see both Bama and Texas getting in. I just don't see how they'll leave FSU out. How do you leave out a power 5 team that won all its games and won their conf champ game?

Trust me in no way do I think FSU is a top 4 team, but I simply can't see any way they get left out. They won every single game. They're not Cincy. They play in a legit conference.

If they get left out, then this thing is 100% subjective, and that should open up all kinds of other possibilities.

Two weeks ago the Committee said they were leaving FSU in the top 4 and said they were not considering their missing starting QB as that would play out in later weeks.  Well it's later and they look worse but they won.  What does Committee do now?

uconnjack8

I get that Texas beat Bama in week 2 and more weight is put on recent games.  If Bama and Texas hadn't played this year and Bama lost in week 2 and Texas lost same week and all else went the same way, I would say Bama should be in.  However they did play at Tuscaloosa and Texas won 10.

PSUBeirut

Quote from: sooners56 on December 03, 2023, 12:04:01 PMTexas is in over Bama. Both conference champs. Both 12-1 but Texas beat Bama in Alabama. Texas should be in. If not, why play the game 🤷🏼�♂️

Agreed.  It should be obvious that a head-to-head win gets the winning team in ahead of the other.  Every other opinion around Texas and Bama is subjective (such as recency, when they played, who would win tomorrow, yadda yadda)....while the scoreboard when they actually played one another is as plain and objective as can be.  With that kind of logic, a team could lose their first three games and then completely and dominantly win out and all of a sudden they deserve to be in the playoff?  Nope.

DaveBrown74

Well looks like they're both in. Good job by the committee. I'm sorry for FSU, but they're not top four team in the country.

Jclayton92

Fsu is not a top 4 team, they play in a horrible conference. They've had opportunities to leave and chose not to.

Hearing Ohio St vs Ole miss in the cotton bowl possibly.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 03, 2023, 01:04:25 PMFsu is not a top 4 team, they play in a horrible conference. They've had opportunities to leave and chose not to.

Hearing Ohio St vs Ole miss in the cotton bowl possibly.

I have seen Penn St predicted there.  Either way, whoever doesn't play in the Cotton Bowl will play in another New Years 6 I think.

Jclayton92

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 03, 2023, 02:09:05 PMI have seen Penn St predicted there.  Either way, whoever doesn't play in the Cotton Bowl will play in another New Years 6 I think.

Yeah Ole miss vs PSu in the peach. Should be a good match-up great O vs great D.

PSUBeirut

Just to revisit- what happened with putting Bama into the playoffs was an absolute disgrace.  Here's a good read with a lot of good reasons why:  https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39033710/cfp-anger-index-unpacking-outrage-florida-state-snub-2023

Also, I'll put this out there- to the argument that Bama is a better team than FSU or has a better chance of winning.  1) I personally think that when you wade FULLY into speculation like that instead of facts (as in, they have a loss and just barely beat 6-6 Auburn) then it's a sign of a weak argument, and 2)  even if I agreed they were the better team in January than FSU- it DOES NOT or SHOULD NOT matter.  There are plenty of subjective ways over the years to make this exact same case for a lot of teams that didn't make the playoffs....and it shouldn't matter.  Results on the field.  Win football games.  Win your conference.

What clearly drove this debacle is a yearning $$$$ need to make sure the SEC was represented in the playoff.  That's it.  End of story.  It shouldn't surprise any of us, but it's still repugnant. 

Bob In PA

Came down to FSU vs. Alabama. The good news: we'll likely how Saban tries to shut down Michigan.

It's not the 1st time the committee ignored an undefeated team so they could include one of the "in-crowd."

As a life-long Penn St fan I'm used to my team being pooh-poohed for "weak schedule" or some other b.s. reason.

You younger guys might not understand that statement, but in "olden days" lol PSU (like Notre Dame) was not in a conference and went undefeated multiple times only to be denied a major bowl game for IMO b.s. reasons.

I feel bad for you, Florida State !!!

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Uni

Florida State pushed out of the playoff due to hip drop tackle

files58

"What clearly drove this debacle is a yearning $$$$ need to make sure the SEC was represented in the playoff.  That's it.  End of story.  It shouldn't surprise any of us, but it's still repugnant."

This.
TV and ad revenue. I don't know if it's possible, but I'd like to see FSU somehow embarrass the NCAA, and the committee while saving face. 

uconnjack8

This is the last year where there should be any issues with who got in and and who didn't.  I am not going to have any sympathy for a 3 loss team that misses the 12th seed.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Uni on December 04, 2023, 10:33:18 AMFlorida State pushed out of the playoff due to hip drop tackle

Is that how the QB was injured?

Gmo11

I think they did the right thing. It was the difficult thing but the correct one for me. FSU absolutely is the most deserving but as I understand the criteria it's the best 4 teams not the most deserving. Hell Georgia also has a pretty real gripe in this too. Alabama almost losing to Auburn hurts but they did just take down the #1 team all year and both of them would be favored by double digits over FSU. It sucks for FSU that an injury derails their season like that but we're not talking about an injured punter here. It's the best player on their team at the most important position. If Penix had blown out his knee in the win over Oregon they wouldn't be in this thing either.