News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Elephant in the Room- What to do if TommyD runs the Table- (guests can vote)

Started by BluesCruz, December 03, 2023, 10:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should Giants do if TommyD runs the table?

You may only select up to 2 options.

BluesCruz

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Quick Kick

Wake up and say what a nice dream I had last night.

I hope the Giants can be at least semi competitive in the first Eagles game.  Got a feeling the Eagles will be resting some of their players in the 2nd Eagles game which will be the last game of the year and the Giants may have a chance.

Giant Jim

DaveBrown74

The problem with option 2 is if the Giants are 9-8, they won't be able to "draft a top flight QB anyway."

They can still draft a QB and hope he ends up being "top flight", but I assume the poll option meant top flight prospect. If we're 9-8, and we go QB, we'll be taking the 5th or 6th QB off the board, and we'll probably be reaching in a huge way.

I think if the Giants were to finish 9-8 with Tommy D starting all games, he'd be pretty much a lock to be the backup next year, and assuming Dimes is not ready to go in week one, he'd probably be the week one starter. I do think they'd probably add another QB though - either a cheap vet or perhaps a developmental guy in the draft.

If the Giants run the table from here, I read that they have something like a 90% chance of being in the playoffs. So if Tommy D won a playoff game or two on top of finishing 9-8, and then played solidly in the loss, you could argue he'd be our clear starter next year and Jones would have to earn his job back.

All of this is silly conjecture though so, of course. None of it is going to happen.

BluesCruz

StompYouOT

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 03, 2023, 11:22:42 AMThe problem with option 2 is if the Giants are 9-8, they won't be able to "draft a top flight QB anyway."

They can still draft a QB and hope he ends up being "top flight", but I assume the poll option meant top flight prospect. If we're 9-8, and we go QB, we'll be taking the 5th or 6th QB off the board, and we'll probably be reaching in a huge way.

I think if the Giants were to finish 9-8 with Tommy D starting all games, he'd be pretty much a lock to be the backup next year, and assuming Dimes is not ready to go in week one, he'd probably be the week one starter. I do think they'd probably add another QB though - either a cheap vet or perhaps a developmental guy in the draft.

If the Giants run the table from here, I read that they have something like a 90% chance of being in the playoffs. So if Tommy D won a playoff game or two on top of finishing 9-8, and then played solidly in the loss, you could argue he'd be our clear starter next year and Jones would have to earn his job back.

All of this is silly conjecture though so, of course. None of it is going to happen.

Id give it a 25% chance of happening

The Giants led by a ferocious D, TommyD, Barkley, and a much improved Oline are now a very tough out

BluesCruz

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 03, 2023, 11:30:44 AMId give it a 25% chance of happening

The Giants led by a ferocious D, TommyD, Barkley, and a much improved Oline are now a very tough out

If they're such a tough out why did they need six turnovers to beat the Commanders and a missed 35 yard chip shot to beat the Pats by three points. The Commanders and Pats are, without a doubt, two of the absolute worst three or four teams in football. We saw what happened in Dallas the week before these two games.

We're not a tough out. We are 4-8, and each of our four wins were close games against terrible teams. We have generally gotten our asses kicked by good teams (Buffalo the lone exception). We're not remotely a "tough out."

uconnjack8

Not sure if it's an elephant in the room, canary in a coal mine or figment of the imagination,  but if they win out, still draft a QB. 

Even if they win out, Jones will get a shot next year and will be pencilled in as the starter. 

Jclayton92

As a fan base we've got to stop having knee jerk reactions. Honestly that can sum up a majority of our issues as a fan base the past year.

Knee jerk reaction to Jones beating a historically bad vikings secondary by a TD while ignoring the Eagles playoff game the following week.

Knee jerk reaction to one drive in the preseason against a horrible panthers team while ignoring us getting outclassed in daily practices vs the lions.

Knee jerk reaction to Tommy being slightly better than a bad Qb while ignoring us barely beating horrible teams with said Qb.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 03, 2023, 01:01:05 PMAs a fan base we've got to stop having knee jerk reactions. Honestly that can sum up a majority of our issues as a fan base the past year.

Knee jerk reaction to Jones beating a historically bad vikings secondary by a TD while ignoring the Eagles playoff game the following week.

Knee jerk reaction to one drive in the preseason against a horrible panthers team while ignoring us getting outclassed in daily practices vs the lions.

Knee jerk reaction to Tommy being slightly better than a bad Qb while ignoring us barely beating horrible teams with said Qb.

I would not say Washington or NE are terrible teams.   They have been in close games against very good teams.  Beaten a few.

I am judging Tommy off his arm talent, smarts, accuracy
Yes he lost to the Cowboys in Dallas but he was thrown into a mess there

He has since straightened the ship...lets see how the rest of the games go
so far so good

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 03, 2023, 01:27:24 PMI would not say Washington or NE are terrible teams.   They have been in close games against very good teams.  Beaten a few.

I am judging Tommy off his arm talent, smarts, accuracy
Yes he lost to the Cowboys in Dallas but he was thrown into a mess there

He has since straightened the ship...lets see how the rest of the games go
so far so good

The Patriots are 2-9 with a -100 points differential. They're currently slated to pick second in the draft. How many teams in the NFL would you say they're better than?

kartanoman

If 30% of us, so far, agree that the Tommy Chicken Cutlets can inspire a menu change at Giant games next year, then I'd say the young man has made his mark on society (in North Jersey, at the very least!).

Let's not kid ourselves with this thread. Is this subject REALLY in alignment with Schoen's strategic imperatives for the New York Giants to return to a perennial NFL contender?

I'll have a side of extra sauce and hot red 🌶,  please!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)