News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tyrod Taylor “disappointed” to learn he lost Giants QB job to Tommy DeVito

Started by MightyGiants, December 06, 2023, 11:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

QuoteGiants quarterback Tyrod Taylor learned today that when he's put back on the active roster, it will be as the No. 2 quarterback, and undrafted rookie Tommy DeVito will start on Monday night against the Packers. Taylor wasn't happy about it.

Asked today how he felt about head coach Brian Daboll's decision, Taylor admitted he's frustrated.

"Disappointed," Taylor said. "But it's part of the game."

Taylor knows well that it's part of the game. At times in his career he's lost starting jobs to Nathan Peterman, Baker Mayfield, Justin Herbert and Davis Mills. This isn't Taylor's first rodeo.

Taylor declined to go into any details about how he's feeling or any communications he's had with Daboll about the decision. But it's easy to understand why he's disappointed, as he again finds himself losing a job to a younger quarterback.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/tyrod-taylor-disappointed-to-learn-he-lost-giants-qb-job-to-tommy-devito
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

He sees the handwriting on the wall.  DeVito is cheaper, younger and has a ceiling above him.

Whether or not he reaches that ceiling, I think the Giants are smart to let him play.

It's a no-lose situation for the Giants, unless you believe Tyrod could "run the table."

Bob

PS. ....which, for either guy, is laughable, IMO.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Well, he is getting paid 11 million dollars to start three games passing for 640 yards, and three TDs over two seasons. There is that. That can't be too disappointing.

I get it but I think there was a better way he could have fielded those questions.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 06, 2023, 12:01:32 PMWell, he is getting paid 11 million dollars to start three games passing for 640 yards, and three TDs over two seasons. There is that. That can't be too disappointing.

I get it but I think there was a better way he could have fielded those questions.
Ed: Good point.  I'd be willing to bet if Giants let him (Tyrod) walk, some team somewhere will hire him.

He knows he can count on a good recommendation and that will carry huge weight.

The bad news is he'll probably have to move his family again (but IMO that is the only bad news).

Bob

DaveBrown74

He's a competitor who presumably loves playing football and wants every chance he can get to do it. It's his livelihood and he has worked hard to get to where he is. I'm sure I'd be disappointed in his shoes too. Pretty understandable. I doubt he's making a big stink of it or holding it against Tommy D personally, but I'm not in the locker room obviously.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 06, 2023, 12:05:54 PMEd: Good point.  I'd be willing to bet if Giants let him (Tyrod) walk, some team somewhere will hire him.

The bad news is he'll probably have to move his family again (but IMO that is the only bad news).

Bob
There are about five teams that will be drafting a QB. He's a good mentor and backup like he was here. I'm sure he will get a job.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

No doubt (in my mind at least) Taylor gets a backup job somewhere. The question I guess is whether he'll get a similar number to what he got with us. Given the cap is going up, it seems reasonable to think he will, although his penchant for getting hurt may make teams uneasy.

Jclayton92

Tyrod is a great mentor, I wouldn't mind having him back on the cheap to mentor our new guy.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 06, 2023, 12:05:54 PMEd: Good point.  I'd be willing to bet if Giants let him (Tyrod) walk, some team somewhere will hire him.

Bob

Not if he goes to thee Jets :).  who could really really use him right now
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 06, 2023, 01:02:49 PMTyrod is a great mentor, I wouldn't mind having him back on the cheap to mentor our new guy.

Rightly or wrongly, I feel like this decision to start a walk-on undrafted guy who has barely played over a healthy Taylor is a pretty clear signal Taylor isn't coming back next year under any circumstances.

Ed Vette

There is always the possibility that Jones gets traded next season.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 06, 2023, 01:08:48 PMThere is always the possibility that Jones gets traded next season.

Perhaps during the season that could be possible, but it's really hard to see any way it happens in the offseason unless the Giants eat an enormous amount of the contract, which I myself can't see them doing.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 06, 2023, 01:24:11 PMPerhaps during the season that could be possible, but it's really hard to see any way it happens in the offseason unless the Giants eat an enormous amount of the contract, which I myself can't see them doing.
next season.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

You would think Tyrod would have reached an age where being healthy for the holidays would offset the disappointment of not being the starter.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 06, 2023, 01:56:23 PMYou would think Tyrod would have reached an age where being healthy for the holidays would offset the disappointment of not being the starter.
Rich: It's also good PR (and essential for a QB, IMO) to indicate that although he's a "team guy" he thinks he's as capable as any other available QB to take the reins and eager to play. That, too, is a win-win attitude. The worst you can say is he's disappointed... I would be, too. Bob