News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Evan Neal Article

Started by Ed Vette, December 07, 2023, 12:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Stringer Bell on December 09, 2023, 10:52:51 AMThe "why" doesn't matter to me in the least. All I care about is the "what". And with Neal, the "what" is moves like molasses, can't handle stunts, and easily gets himself out of position. Two years' worth of tape speaks for itself.

Then I guess you will re-think your diagnosis of Neal being ," mentally soft "

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Stringer Bell on December 09, 2023, 10:52:51 AMThe "why" doesn't matter to me in the least. All I care about is the "what". And with Neal, the "what" is moves like molasses, can't handle stunts, and easily gets himself out of position. Two years' worth of tape speaks for itself.

I am not saying that you are incorrect in evaluating Neal's performance but I think it is a legitimate question as to why his issues were not picked up earlier. I know you don't have the answer as it was only ac rhetorical question.

Ed Vette

He's top heavy and has heavy feet. However his issues stem from mechanics in his steps, opening his hips early at times and timing of use of hands to control the Defender. He was clearly better on the left side. He's played in just 20 games. Was injured last year, injured in Camp and Injured twice this year. There has been a serious disruption in his progress and in the five games he's missed this season, he can't practice because of sprained ankles. Muscle memory in closed loop training takes some players longer. As far as the difference in sides, I equate it to a right handed boxer who tries to switch to southpaw. Or a batter from right to left. I know first hand and although I was able to switch hit, play racquetball equally well with both hands, and being ambidextrous, I had trouble as a southpaw. The Marvin Hager's are rare. Justin Pugh who's a gifted Athlete, was a solid if not spectacular RT but he struggles at LT, and he has excellent feet.

I want to see Neal's progress with a different Oline Coach and give him more time because of the disruptions. I don't see him at Guard but that's his next destination because I don't see them giving up on him just yet.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on December 09, 2023, 11:00:27 AMI am not saying that you are incorrect in evaluating Neal's performance but I think it is a legitimate question as to why his issues were not picked up earlier. I know you don't have the answer as it was only ac rhetorical question.

I don't get why anyone is so bewildered by the "why" aspect of it. Is the Neal situation really unheard of or even uncommon? We're acting like players who are highly touted and picked in the top 10 don't bust frequently.

In fact, many posters refer to the entire draft as a "crap shoot", and many claim they don't want to take a QB in the next draft for that very reason. Then people simultaneously act astonished that a highly rated non-QB prospect has not worked out. That does not add up at all.

The reality is that there are no guarantees in the draft at any position. Even players with pedigrees like Neal's can and do bust, sometimes very spectacularly. It is what it is.

Now.. if you want to say our scouts from the DG/Reese era were subpar, I can get on board with that. And many if not all of those folks were still in place for the 2022 draft. But I don't think that really has much to do with Neal not working out, because as just about everyone here claims, Neal was a "no-brainer" pick.

Neal is just one of those highly touted first round picks who has, thus far at least, failed miserably. It happens, and it is not as uncommon as folks are making it out to be.

Jclayton92

I think Neal was significantly improving this season, that Miami game was his best tape until the final drive when he was gassed. With the right coaching and him being healthy I think he swings in a positive direction, I think his ceiling is Orlando Brown Jr or a Morgan Moses. Guys that are high floor guys that give you top 25 tackle play but aren't elite.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 09, 2023, 11:49:21 AMI think Neal was significantly improving this season, that Miami game was his best tape until the final drive when he was gassed. With the right coaching and him being healthy I think he swings in a positive direction, I think his ceiling is Orlando Brown Jr or a Morgan Moses.

That would be great if he hit that ceiling or came close. Those are good players.

In any event I'll be surprised if Schoen take an OT in the first round this year.

Philosophers

Evan Neal may have gotten away with it in Bama by utilizing his size which overcame bad technique but his lack of anticipation and/or lateral speed with balance is clearly getting him beat regularly by edge rushers.

Add to that a mental side that sounds like he sees positives others dont see.

He needs a reset and a different OL coach.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 09, 2023, 12:01:28 PMThat would be great if he hit that ceiling or came close. Those are good players.

In any event I'll be surprised if Schoen take an OT in the first round this year.

Yeah I would  be extremely surprised if we take any olinemen in the early part of the draft. I think we address 1 guard spot in FA and go with development. The closer we get, the more I want Daniels, a weapon, and defense with our picks.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 09, 2023, 12:53:43 PMYeah I would  e extremely surprised if we take any olinemen in the early part of the draft. I think we address 1 guard spot in FA and go with development. The closer we get, the more u want Daniels, a weapon, and defense with our picks.

Think that's right