News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dan Duggan on why the backups have looked better than Daniel Jones

Started by DaveBrown74, December 08, 2023, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 08, 2023, 01:53:37 PMApparently, Daboll and Schoen have no issues with DJ because he's named their starter next season

If you are referring to what Schoen said in his presser a couple weeks back, I personally didn't take those comments to be as committal as the above sounds. There was no way he was going to get up there and say "I don't expect Jones to be starting for us next year, even if he is healthy." The fact that he said what he did did not convey to me that they were firmly committed to that decision. In fact, he made it very clear that the QB position "needs to be addressed" and that he was open to possibly drafting a QB with a high first round pick. Obviously that doesn't mean they definitely will, and even if they do, I'm aware that Jones could still end up starting some or all of the 2024 season, but you don't publicly leave the door open to drafting a QB with a high first round pick if you're 100% certain you love your current guy. I never heard Reese talk like that when Eli was the QB.

As for Eli's comments about Jones, I don't know that I'm convinced that was some coordinated thing with the Giants. And even if it was, I'm still not convinced that means Jones is their definite starter next year. The position seems completely up in the air to me right now. Schoen's comments felt more like GM-speak than a genuine, rock-solid commitment to the starting lineup 10 months from now.

Just my two cents.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on December 08, 2023, 02:21:55 PMBefore you bury him , just think back to Geno Smith and his travails .
Geno only played 30 games, not the 60+ Jones has played. Geno is also 1 out of 800 qbs to play the position to be labeled a bust and then play better.

So don't bury Jones for 5 years of horrible qb play and pray that hes the second Qb out of 766 to be absolutely horrible then good.

Hmm...

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 08, 2023, 05:05:22 PMIf you are referring to what Schoen said in his presser a couple weeks back, I personally didn't take those comments to be as committal as the above sounds. There was no way he was going to get up there and say "I don't expect Jones to be starting for us next year, even if he is healthy." The fact that he said what he did did not convey to me that they were firmly committed to that decision. In fact, he made it very clear that the QB position "needs to be addressed" and that he was open to possibly drafting a QB with a high first round pick. Obviously that doesn't mean they definitely will, and even if they do, I'm aware that Jones could still end up starting some or all of the 2024 season, but you don't publicly leave the door open to drafting a QB with a high first round pick if you're 100% certain you love your current guy. I never heard Reese talk like that when Eli was the QB.

As for Eli's comments about Jones, I don't know that I'm convinced that was some coordinated thing with the Giants. And even if it was, I'm still not convinced that means Jones is their definite starter next year. The position seems completely up in the air to me right now. Schoen's comments felt more like GM-speak than a genuine, rock-solid commitment to the starting lineup 10 months from now.

Just my two cents.
The way the NFL is trending if Daniels is there when they pick I think they have to take him.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 08, 2023, 05:22:46 PMThe way the NFL is trending if Daniels is there when they pick I think they have to take him.

Based on what I know today, he is my choice too assuming we can't have Maye or Williams.

StompYouOT

Jones is bad.  That's it.  It stinks we're stuck with him another year but hopefully things work out in the long run.

kingm56

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on December 08, 2023, 02:21:55 PMBefore you bury him , just think back to Geno Smith and his travails .

I'm confused why posters continue to use Geno Smith as a poster child for hope, as it relates to DJ's maturation; it's an Apples-to-Jeep comparison. Smith had 34 total starts before experiencing a career year in 2022.  In contrast, DJ has 59; in fact, before the season started, DJ had 3 MORE starts than Smith. Geno has also reverted to his prior 17 game averages:   

4133 Yards 21 TD 13 INT   64% 89.1 RTG

There's not a single example in 35 years of a QB magically becoming significantly more than he's demonstrated in his first 30 games; yet, the conversation persist.  DJ is who he is, and has always been. 

BluesCruz

Jones played well under Schumur.  Remember DannyDimes

Joe Judge came in and re-directed Jones to the low to high pass selection
It cut down on Jones turnovers, but induced a sleepy offense

Dump it off, take the safe throw, which, of course, defenses were only too happy to let him have

Judge long gone, Jones continues to follow Joe Judge's advice

I was watching a Kurt Warner interview with Joe Buck on You Tube last night

The last thing he asked Kurt was what makes a good QB prospect

Kurt answered

- toughness
- accuracy
- touch
- ball security
- quick mental processing
- intelligence
- a high to low shot selection

"and a million other attributes" hard to quantify.  "thats why good college QBs are so hard to identify" said Warner

Jones fails and bails on so many of these things that make a top QB

Tommy D, it appears so far, is the better prospect in many many ways.  Unfortunately most fans just dont believe the organization could have been so blinded to Jones issues.  I can only believe what my eyes tell me

Jones is shell shocked and cannot shake off the sacks like DeVito can

Jones is intelligent and tough.....the other attributes not so much

Jones would have seen the door long ago but he has one huge important fan- John Mara

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Jones had a decent season under Shurmur if you choose to pretend all those turnovers never happened.

Bob In PA

I continue to support Jones "to the death," believe his case is still defensible, and view some members as having been "too harsh" and impatient with Jones (which is any member's privilege... opinions are why we have this site).

BUT 

There is a time limit for everything in pro ball and, when we look back on it in the future, the ACL likely will be seen as the last straw or tipping point for all but the most ardent Jones defenders/supporters. The clock had almost struck midnight for Jones anyway, IMO, and ACL injuries take so long to heal that SOME sort of response by the team will be absolutely necessary.

Ironically, the only thing that might save him would be if DeVito plays well enough to be viewed as Jones' replacement. Not likely, but not impossible. Stranger things have happened in the NFL. If that occurs then Jones will be the league's most expensive backup for a year and they could even keep Taylor (why shouldn't they; he never played horribly and comes cheap).

Bob

PS.  IMO the best thing Jones can do with all this spare time is to go back and review ALL of his game tapes from the every year and TAKE NOTES about how his play has "changed" under the various coaching staffs, listing the positives and negatives, and then decide for himself what type of QB he is going to be in the future (assuming he HAS a future somewhere in the league) and then go to Daboll, announce his findings, and tell the team to trade him if they don't want the style of play he plans to offer once his injury has healed.  Make THEM sh!t or get off the pot.  It's a solid career move, IMO.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!