News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

No Maye Or Williams in Heisman Contention

Started by Philosophers, December 09, 2023, 11:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Now, I have a hard time saying they are somehow 1-2 when Daniels won the Heisman.  He lit it up at the end.  Looks the part.

Williams' stats this year are actually a bit better than last year I think.

All I can say is what does this mean for the draft?

jgrangers2

Simple answer is that what works in college doesn't always translate to the pros. Baker Mayfield won the Heisman and Josh Allen was a sub-60% completion rate at Wyoming. Yet Allen has far surpassed him in the NFL.

Marcus Mariota, Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow and Troy Smith all won the Heisman. Meant nothing at the pro level.

DaveBrown74

I still think Maye and Williams will likely be the first two QBs off the board. Daniels definitely had an electric season, and if he ends up on the Giants I'll be happy, but my guess is the award itself doesn't change much.

With that said anything is possible. There's plenty to like about Daniels.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 10, 2023, 05:11:23 AMI still think Maye and Williams will likely be the first two QBs off the board. Daniels definitely had an electric season, and if he ends up on the Giants I'll be happy, but my guess is the award itself doesn't change much.

With that said anything is possible. There's plenty to like about Daniels.
Saw Daniels at that ceremony. Seems like a great kid. Graduated in three years so he is smart, (didn't go to Duke though). Mara should love picking such a clean cut kid for the Giants.  :ok: 

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on December 09, 2023, 11:49:19 PMNow, I have a hard time saying they are somehow 1-2 when Daniels won the Heisman.  He lit it up at the end.  Looks the part.

Williams' stats this year are actually a bit better than last year I think.

All I can say is what does this mean for the draft?
They both lost some shine down the stretch. Maye might have the best chance to transition into the NFL because of his football mental acuity. Williams has some red flags but he's got the most football athleticism and makes throws at a Mahommes level. I think if the Giants had the first pick it would be between Maye and Daniels. There are other teams that would jump at Calib and not look back. I think Maye is undecided about his Bowl Game but Calib is passing.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: jgrangers2 on December 10, 2023, 12:06:18 AMSimple answer is that what works in college doesn't always translate to the pros. Baker Mayfield won the Heisman and Josh Allen was a sub-60% completion rate at Wyoming. Yet Allen has far surpassed him in the NFL.

Marcus Mariota, Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow and Troy Smith all won the Heisman. Meant nothing at the pro level.

I think your example is a bad one because what it tells me is Josh Allen developed more once in the NFL with his coaching staff.  He was not deserving of anything.

This year, Daniels was well back of Williams.  Latter had losses at end while former had wins.  Think that played a role.

Daniels had 3 final games totaling over 1,000 yards passing.  That got voters attention.

Jclayton92

Maye and Williams both lost to really bad teams. Lsu's 3 loses came to Alabama, FSU, and Ole Miss who would all be in the 12 team CFP.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 10, 2023, 10:45:36 AMMaye and Williams both lost to really bad teams. Lsu's 3 loses came to Alabama, FSU, and Ole Miss who would all be in the 12 team CFP.

Yes, plus Daniels played very well in those losses. LSU's defense being disappointing was the big story of their season.

Here is what Daniels did to Ole Miss' defense:

27-36 for 414 yards (11.5 YPA) with 4 passing TDs and no picks.

AND:

15 rushes for 99 rushing yards (6.6 YPA) and 1 rushing TD with no fumbles.

He sure "lost" that game alright!

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Uni

Quote from: LennG on December 10, 2023, 11:36:46 AMDoes anyone see a double of Hurts?
If Daniels has a double, it's Lamar Jackson. If there's a double of Hurts, it's Jalen Milroe of Alabama.

Philosophers

Quote from: Uni on December 10, 2023, 11:39:39 AMIf Daniels has a double, it's Lamar Jackson. If there's a double of Hurts, it's Jalen Milroe of Alabama.

Lamar is not particularly accurate throwing it.  Daniels seems able to do that.  May not be the best comparison.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on December 10, 2023, 11:36:46 AMDoes anyone see a double of Hurts?

Probably not the worst comp. I think he's more like a Lamar but a better passer.

Hurts also never put up passing numbers against an SEC schedule like this guy did this year. His numbers at Oklahoma were good, but the Big 12 plays basically zero defense. Daniels lit it up all year against SEC foes. What he did was very impressive.

Jclayton92

There are a few things I look at with Qbs that truly set them apart from others.

The biggest in my opinion being:

1. Transferable environment- Was this guy surrounded by 30 5 star guys, and perfect pockets, just to get to the NFL and look like either Jones, Mac or Daniel.

https://seahawksdraftblog.com/jayden-daniels-is-interesting

This blog post explains it very well and goes into detail on Daniels. Like how he may not be doing a ton of layered passing but you do see him throwing deep, moving out of the pocket, buying time, looking for 1 V 1 opportunities, resetting, and even delivering balls as he's being hit.

The blog also comps him to Russel Wilson, I think, but I believe that he's a combination of Dak throwing the ball with the athletic ability of a Lamar Jackson.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 10, 2023, 11:42:36 AMProbably not the worst comp. I think he's more like a Lamar but a better passer.

Hurts also never put up passing numbers against an SEC schedule like this guy did this year. His numbers at Oklahoma were good, but the Big 12 plays basically zero defense. Daniels lit it up all year against SEC foes. What he did was very impressive.

Lately the SEC is not playing any defense either.