News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- What do people make of the Jets/Texans game?

Started by MightyGiants, December 11, 2023, 11:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

That was perhaps the biggest shocker yesterday.   Was part of CJ Stroud's success due to rookie WR Tank Dell?  Were people premature to declare Stroud the next coming?   Was it just a fluke that Stroud performed so poorly against the less-than-impressive Jets?   Are the Texans simply not as good as their 7-5 (now 7-6) record suggests?

What About the Zack Wilson?  What do you make of that?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Uni

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 11, 2023, 11:19:57 AMThat was perhaps the biggest shocker yesterday.   Was part of CJ Stroud's success due to rookie WR Tank Dell?  Were people premature to declare Stroud the next coming?   Was it just a fluke that Stroud performed so poorly against the less-than-impressive Jets?   Are the Texans simply not as good as their 7-5 (now 7-6) record suggests?

What About the Zack Wilson?  What do you make of that?
Jets still have a good defense, and their secondary shut down the Texans passing game. And losing Tank Dell hurt the team. I don't think it diminishes Stroud's accomplishments this season.

As for Wilson -- he still has the arm talent, so it might have been reactionary to bench him for inferior talent. Maybe he just needed to sit and collect himself.

kingm56

Never attempt to glean anything related to football from one game. 

T200

I haven't watched the Jets all season. Rodgers and Wilson have been the story all season. But, they are #9 in points allowed and #2 in pass yards per game allowed.

Their strength won out over Stroud and the missing Dell.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

katkavage

Terrible weather. Stroud lost his top two receivers. The Jets have a stout defense. And the idiot Jets coach let Wilson make plays.

Bob In PA

Maybe the light went on for the Jets' QB (or maybe every dog has his day, as the old saying goes). lol
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

I think Stroud is real, myself. I'm not declaring him a superstar or anything, but I've seen enough to know the talent is legitimate.

Conditions were awful yesterday (was raining sheets), and he is a rookie QB from a dome stadium. I'm not making excuses for him as he clearly had a bad game, but more just an attempt at an explanation. Overall he has shown me more than enough this year to convince me that he is at least "good" and has plenty of upside to be better than good.

As for Wilson, I don't really have an explanation. He was legitimately very good in this game in tough conditions.  He was throwing to the open man with accuracy throughout the afternoon. I'm not going to reshape my opinion on Wilson overall at this point, but that was certainly an eye-catching performance. Obviously in his case the overwhelming majority of a large sample size of data is very poor, but if he were to string together 2-3 more games like yesterday between now and the end of the regular season, that would be interesting.

Gmo11

Didn't Stroud get hurt in that game?  I wasn't watching it but I thought I saw that somewhere on the interwebs that he was out for some of that game.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on December 11, 2023, 01:05:39 PMDidn't Stroud get hurt in that game?  I wasn't watching it but I thought I saw that somewhere on the interwebs that he was out for some of that game.

He got hurt (likely concussion) with a few minutes left in the game
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 11, 2023, 01:26:36 PMHe got hurt (likely concussion) with a few minutes left in the game

Ahhh gotcha.  Thanks.

EDjohnst1981

Dell had 3 monster games of 145, 114 and 149 receiving yards. Outside of that he ranged from 16 (twice) to 72. He's having a nice rookie season but the idea that he's the reason for any success the Texans is having is likely to be wide of the mark.

Stroud had a rough game in pretty woeful weather yesterday and despite the loss of his two top receivers, he has 3,631, 20 TDs, 5 Ints and a rating of 98.7 in 13 games this season. Thirteen.

I'm not saying he's elite but for a rookie to have those numbers, with 4 games left is pretty remarkable.

I'd almost kill for the QB stat line.

uconnjack8

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on December 11, 2023, 05:09:23 PMDell had 3 monster games of 145, 114 and 149 receiving yards. Outside of that he ranged from 16 (twice) to 72. He's having a nice rookie season but the idea that he's the reason for any success the Texans is having is likely to be wide of the mark.

Stroud had a rough game in pretty woeful weather yesterday and despite the loss of his two top receivers, he had 3,631, 20 TDs, 5 Ints and a rating of 98.7 in 13 games this season. Thirteen.

I'm not saying he's elite but for a rookie to have those numbers, with 4 games left is pretty remarkable.

I'd almost kill for the QB stat line.

Perspective

ralphpal1

The jets ruined every good QB this year
Stroud is no different
That is why they traded for rodgers
The jets are a QB away but they still.need one more WR

TDToomer

Quote from: ralphpal1 on December 11, 2023, 07:38:10 PMThe jets ruined every good QB this year
Stroud is no different

Then why did they trade Elijah Moore away?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ralphpal1 on December 11, 2023, 07:38:10 PMThe jets ruined every good QB this year
Stroud is no different

I would agree with all of this. They seem to struggle against the run but their pass D is elite.

If Rodgers can still be effective at 40 years old coming off an achilles tear, the Jets will be very interesting next year. I agree that they need a better secondary receiving option than guys like Lazard and Hardman.

The only thing you didn't mention is the O line. I understand it did a nice job yesterday, but overall it's been bad and it is also injury-prone. They need help there in the offseason. I would go O line early in the draft and maybe twice. Rodgers can't move like he used to. He's going to need some protection to be effective.