News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tommy devito

Started by ralphpal1, December 13, 2023, 11:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralphpal1

A lot of people dont bring it up and make the mistake to think he is a 21 or 22 year old rookie but he is 25 years old and played in college for 5 years
Devito is  playing well but now  that there is tape on him he might come back down to earth
Defenses  see what Devito. ikes to do  and now  other teams can plan how to stop.him
Defensive  players are smart like that
But just maybe  since he is 25 and probably play 50 games in college compared to most rookie QB who only played one or 2 seasons with only 15 games  in them    that rookie curve is over for tommy devito
That jump from.year 2 to 3 happened in college even though he is only a rookie now
He was benched in college for a reason but maybe in year 4 of his college playing days  the lightbulb went on
Most rookie QBs probably seen a  defense formation once and not sure what to do and cant process where to go that fast
 Devito  might have seen  that formation 7 times by now. In college .   The first 5  times he faced it he failed so  hence the benching .
 The next 2  times he seen that formation  whatever he did worked
Now instead if worrying where to go  or who is open like most rookie QBs , Devito  has an idea of who is open and why
Maybe for  Devito that   rookie curved is gone and  it happened in college instead of the NFL
So less stress and pressure
 This might mean  most rookies cant read defesnses like devito does now cause those rookie QBs only have a few games under their belt.
Maybe devito  took his lumps.in college and not the NFL which gave him.time to grow up

Ed Vette

It's a good point Ralph and thank you for yet another TD thread. (kidding)

There are QB's in this draft who have been given another season at the college level due to covid. I also believe in certain cases it's good for the development of the more mature player and QB's can have 10+ years of a career. Hartman and Nix may serve as an example.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: ralphpal1 on December 13, 2023, 11:03:34 AM(1) Devito is  playing well but now that there is tape on him he might come back down to earth
(2) Maybe devito  took his lumps.in college and not the NFL which gave him.time to grow up
ralph: To build on your first point, I agree for all the reason you stated, and also because the team remaining on the schedule (N.O. is arguably an exception, but I disagree) are better than the teams DeVito has beaten in his 3-game streak.

As for the second point, I agree he took a lot of lumps in college.

A more important (IMO) point might escape the attention of casual fans, but he's USED TO playing behind a lousy offensive line. In other words, he has vast experience with is running for his life. lol Seriously though, he's used to being harassed constantly and doesn't have THAT to contend with. By contrast, most rookie highly-drafted QB's come from schools that have their pick of the litter in building a line, so they are used to camping out in a deep drop and reading a book while waiting for deep routes to develop and/or for men to get open on second moves and improvisation.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

GloryDays

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 13, 2023, 11:57:14 AMralph: To build on your first point, I agree for all the reason you stated, and also because the team remaining on the schedule (N.O. is arguably an exception, but I disagree) are better than the teams DeVito has beaten in his 3-game streak.

As for the second point, I agree he took a lot of lumps in college.

A more important (IMO) point might escape the attention of casual fans, but he's USED TO playing behind a lousy offensive line. In other words, he has vast experience with is running for his life. lol Seriously though, he's used to being harassed constantly and doesn't have THAT to contend with. By contrast, most rookie highly-drafted QB's come from schools that have their pick of the litter in building a line, so they are used to camping out in a deep drop and reading a book while waiting for deep routes to develop and/or for men to get open on second moves and improvisation.

Bob

That is a very important fact imo also when evaluating QB talent. A QB that does ok, not great, behind a mediocre Line, or one that has lousy Receivers, should be given additional points when comparing with QBs playing with fine talent around them.