News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants vs. Saints

Started by Torus34, December 13, 2023, 07:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torus34

An away game for the New Jersey Giants against a solidly mid-level team.

If Mr. Thomas DeVito & Co. come away with something other than a blow-out loss, this armchair observer will consider it a job well done. The Giants aren't ready for prime time yet, but for once, there's hope that's based upon more than wishful thinking.

Go flag-free, Big Blue!

uconnjack8

Not ready for prime-time?  Didnt they just win in prine-time?

Torus34

Hi, uconnjack8.

I was using the term in the metaphoric mode. 'Prime time' teams would be those with exceptionally good W/L records such as, say, the Eagles.

The Giants are certainly on their way to becoming a solid mid-level team. The team spirit and the buzz from the fans has certainly improved week-by-week for the past few weeks. It remains to be seen whether it will hold up when the Giants come up against top teams. I hope it will.

Go flag-free, Big Blue!

kartanoman

Quote from: Torus34 on December 13, 2023, 07:53:13 AMHi, uconnjack8.

I was using the term in the metaphoric mode. 'Prime time' teams would be those with exceptionally good W/L records such as, say, the Eagles.

The Giants are certainly on their way to becoming a solid mid-level team. The team spirit and the buzz from the fans has certainly improved week-by-week for the past few weeks. It remains to be seen whether it will hold up when the Giants come up against top teams. I hope it will.

Go flag-free, Big Blue!

Nice post.

I'd like to think they have overcome everything, including the kitchen sink thrown at them, and still have fight in them and will continue to do so.

That early schedule was a murderer's row for them. Throw the injuries in there, the Jones revelation and hitting rock bottom. That they are where they are now speaks measures and that kind of fight you take into anyone's building, you take your chances with them.

We'll all be pulling for them! It won't be easy, but let's see if the legend of Tommy Chicken Cutlets will grow in the Big Easy.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Arodgers12

Quote from: kartanoman on December 13, 2023, 08:08:23 AMNice post.

I'd like to think they have overcome everything, including the kitchen sink thrown at them, and still have fight in them and will continue to do so.

That early schedule was a murderer's row for them. Throw the injuries in there, the Jones revelation and hitting rock bottom. That they are where they are now speaks measures and that kind of fight you take into anyone's building, you take your chances with them.

We'll all be pulling for them! It won't be easy, but let's see if the legend of Tommy Chicken Cutlets will grow in the Big Easy.

Peace!

You guys think we can beat Tampa?

SlotCorner

New Orleans has a good defense. If the Giants win, its going to be one of those 13-10 games. Carr is awful and Winston is good for a pick or two. They haven't beaten anyone decent.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: SlotCorner on December 13, 2023, 08:42:19 AMNew Orleans has a good defense. If the Giants win, its going to be one of those 13-10 games. Carr is awful and Winston is good for a pick or two. They haven't beaten anyone decent.

True. Their wins are all against the dregs of the league:

Tennessee
Carolina (twice)
Pats
Bears
Colts

Still, I wouldn't take them lightly. It's a tough venue, and they need this game badly. Giants have every reason to feel motivated, but they've gotten a lot of plaudits recently, they could be looking ahead to the Eagles game, and let's face facts - they have benefited heavily from turnovers and missed field goals and other flukey stuff like that in these recent wins. So while I don't want to rain on the parade and intend to continue to enjoy this ride, my point is that I don't think this game will be some walk in the park.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 13, 2023, 09:44:57 AMTrue. Their wins are all against the dregs of the league:

Tennessee
Carolina (twice)
Pats
Bears
Colts

Still, I wouldn't take them lightly. It's a tough venue, and they need this game badly. Giants have every reason to feel motivated, but they've gotten a lot of plaudits recently, they could be looking ahead to the Eagles game, and let's face facts - they have benefited heavily from turnovers and missed field goals and other flukey stuff like that in these recent wins. So while I don't want to rain on the parade and intend to continue to enjoy this ride, my point is that I don't think this game will be some walk in the park.

I agree. It's no more a walk in the park than any of the other games they've played. But at least the last time they played in that dome they actually won. The noise factor and how DeVito manages it will be an important factor in the Giants' chances in the game.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Ed Vette

It used to be the case where the Saints were very tough to beat at home. In 2013 they were 8-0 at home. That's not the case in the last three seasons. Carr is no Drew Brees. There is also some friction going on with him over there. The more I think about it, the Giants have a shot at winning this game.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 13, 2023, 11:15:01 AMIt used to be the case where the Saints were very tough to beat at home. In 2013 they were 8-0 at home. That's not the case in the last three seasons. Carr is no Drew Brees. There is also some friction going on with him over there. The more I think about it, the Giants have a shot at winning this game.

Good point, and no doubt we have a realistic shot. Cutlets needs to just keep avoiding turnovers. If he does, we could grind out a low scoring win in this game I think. I could see 17-13 or something if we take care of the ball and our D plays at the upper end of its capabilities.

Ed Vette

The Saints give up 4.6 YPC on the ground and rush for 3.7 YPC.
The Giants give up 4.8 YPC and Rush for 4.1 YPC.

30% of the Giants' Rushing Yards are by the QB's and at 4.5 YPC.
Kamara has slowed up a bit but Hill rushes for 4.9 YPC and is their #2 behind Kamara. Their other 3 backs rush for about 3 YPC.

I give the edge to the Giants here.

The Saints only give up 189 yards a game in the air. I expect to see a Giants rushing-dominated attack. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

With Wandale, Hyatt, Barkley, and Breida I'd really like us to go to a read option offense with a ton of motion.

Think What the Eagles do mixed with what Ole Miss/Tennessee in college do. We have the speed to dominate the edges which opens up those intermediate and long passes.

spiderblue43

Carr has been problematic at best. They are clumsy on offense. Their defense is a tough group..led by Cam Jordan.. that will force Tommy to get off platform often.

Cliche time: turnover battle has to be won by our heroes at first glance.

SlotCorner

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 13, 2023, 11:15:01 AMIt used to be the case where the Saints were very tough to beat at home. In 2013 they were 8-0 at home. That's not the case in the last three seasons. Carr is no Drew Brees. There is also some friction going on with him over there. The more I think about it, the Giants have a shot at winning this game.

In the early 2000s me and my buddies went down to watch the Giants play in New Orleans twice, through Big Blue Travel or whatever. Both times the Giants got absolutely housed by double digits. One of the games Jesse Palmer started, to give you an idea. Bourbon Street makes it easier to drown your sorrows, but the Saints fans let us have it everywhere we went, not that I blame them.

Ed Vette

Quote from: SlotCorner on December 13, 2023, 05:19:08 PMIn the early 2000s me and my buddies went down to watch the Giants play in New Orleans twice, through Big Blue Travel or whatever. Both times the Giants got absolutely housed by double digits. One of the games Jesse Palmer started, to give you an idea. Bourbon Street makes it easier to drown your sorrows, but the Saints fans let us have it everywhere we went, not that I blame them.
In the 2011 Season Playoffs the Giants we're going to face either the Saints or the Niners. I had a friend in Florida so we decided to take a chance and bought the Saints tickets fully refundable and drove to New Orleans. Great trip and great city and we watched the Niners game in a Sports Bar. I think the Giants were lucky because I don't know if they would have beaten the Saints.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin