News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Where are you right now on Saquon's future?

Started by DaveBrown74, December 13, 2023, 12:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you like to see the Giants do with Saquon after this season

DaveBrown74

Please vote for what you WANT the Giants to do. Not for what you think they actually WILL do.

Some quick facts:

Saquon turns 27 right after the season in February.

This year, Saquon is:

11th in rushing yards
15th in yards per carry
has 3 rushing TDS (technically tied for 39th)

Has 31 catches for 183 receiving yards and 4 receiving TDs.

Franchise tag for Barkley next year would be approximately $12mm, fully guaranteed and you take the full hit in 2024.

Has missed multiple games in 4 out of his 6 NFL seasons.

What would you like to see the Giants do with him in the offseason?

ozzie

I voted one year tag and then let him walk.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Jclayton92

I think they should let him walk. The problem is that the Giants seem to never sign Day 3 RBs often enough to have the churn other teams do to find gems.

If I was a GM I'm using Day 3 picks on RBs, Ol, and corners. Any with great traits so that if we hit on them they don't have crazy contracts etc.

Plus the RBs in college right now are absurd and you can get one in the 4th/5th to offer similar production.

files58

I'm sure that the FO will have/already had a Saquon session discussing and laying out alternatives how to best use the $12MM asset coupled with increased on field production. If they feel the best way is to stay with SB then it's one more year, if not then it will be interesting to see what alternative(s) they come up with. I'm leaning towards the latter.

SlotCorner

I assume that in trying to sign him to a multiyear contract, the contract makes financial sense for both parties. Short term deal, with market money each year. He is a dynamic player and I want him on the team, but only at a reasonable cost.

I'd tag him again, and see how much he gets injured / see if we can draft someone to take his place.

Even with the RB market being what it is, it only takes one GM who needs to put people in seats to sign him away from us on a crazy deal.

uconnjack8

Unless Barkley really wants to stay and take less money, I don't see how a multi-year deal will happen.  The team has only 47 million in cap space for 2024.  That may sound like a lot, but when you consider 10 -12 million for a draft class and a certain amount of reserve for injuries and/or later signings, it's down into the 30 million range.  There will be some change to that through releases, cuts, etc., but the Giants will be at best middle of the pack in terms of cap space. 

So assuming they have 35 million in space, I don't think they would use the tag and pay hima little more than 1/3 of the available cap space for next year. 

He is the best skill player on the team, so they will need to replace that in some way if they do not want to regress.  I know those stats up top don't look special, but the stat sheet doesn't record how GB's defense reacted to him and allowed Devito to have some big runs as an example.  Hyatt and Robinson have shown improvement over the course of the year and that will affect decisions in the offseaon. 

Another thing to add is that Daboll and potentially Schoen could be on the hot seat next year if things don't improve.  So if you are them, would you let Barkley walk because you think it doesn't make sense to pay a RB?  Will letting him walk improve their chances of fielding a better team?  Are Devito or Jones going to look better without Barkley in the backfield?

brownelvis54

I said let him walk. We can get a stud RB with one of our 2nd round picks and much cheaper. I believe we get a 2025 comp pick for him too
The KING is in the building

Doc16LT56

Spotrac lists his market value as 3 yrs and just under $20M (around $6.6M per year). I could live with that, especially if there wasn't too much guaranteed money. But I think Saquon has his sights set on much bigger payday, so I'd let him walk if another franchise wants to pay him. To me, the franchise tag is way too much money for the production you get from Barkley.

PSUBeirut

If Gray had stepped up and looked like a solution at RB, I'd say let him walk.  Since Gray hasn't, I voted for the 2nd option.  It would be nice to not go into this draft with yet another gaping hole to fill and it should not cost very much per year to get it done.

EDjohnst1981

I took the certain price point. I could stomach a 6-7mil per year with a soft Jones like exit after two.

But I don't expect he'll get anywhere near the numbers quoted from last year.

GloryDays

To me he has shown good value, but nothing that special; so offer him a fair deal commensurate with his stats and performance, may be a bit more than the stats due to the Oline issues; if he doesn't take it, then let him go out and see what he can get, if close to value then match it.

Philosophers

Saquon needs to go Michael Strahan on air post football career route and make his tens of millions of dollars per year there.  Not happening likely in football.

ralphpal1

Not that i want to sign him to a long term deal
Maybe tag him again and let him walk
But i dont think its going to be easy to replace him

Brooklyn Dave

Letting Sequon Barkley walk might be stupidest move by the Giants other than Allie Sherman trading Sam Huff to the Redskins for Dick James , Andy Stynchula and a draft pick in 1964, ( i have been following the Giants since 1950)

Barkley is the heart and sole of the team. He is the captain , loved and respected by all his teamates. He leaves it all out on the fiend . He has been nominated for NFL person of the year.

Pay him a very decent salary , somewhat below Christain McCaffery and keep him on the team. Whoever the QB is next year , they will be much better with Barkley as his running back and receiver.

I know that I am in the minority here , but I could not care less. KEEP HIM  !!!

Painter

They know exactly what it will cost to again tag him next year and then, assuming he remains healthy, to decide whether he's worth resigning as a FA. I don't think there is any doubt that he is a Top 5 Back when he's healthy.

However, there is the ability v availability element in his value equation. While after missing 21 games (2019-2021) he bounced back to Pro Bowl form last year, he has already missed 3 of the 13 played this year. Add another year, more wear and tear and...

Has Saquon spoiled us to the point where we can't imagine finding a suitable successor in this or next year's Draft?

Cheers!