News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants VS Saints game thread

Started by MightyGiants, December 17, 2023, 12:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

In many respects this was our worst game of the season. All our other embarrassing losses were to good, contending type teams. The only other game that comes to mind is the Seahawks game.

We are very bad. So are the Commanders and Pats, and it took multiple turnovers and missed chip shot type gaffes to beat those teams. The Pack team we just beat last week was riddled with injuries to their best players. Our other two wins were a squeaker against a Joshua Dobbs-led Cards team playing without Buddha Baker and another one score win against the Commanders.

We are a bottom five team in football, and we have no above average QBs on this roster. It's a shame we're going to end up picking something like 7th or 8th.

TONKA56

Quote from: coggs on December 17, 2023, 03:52:06 PMSo, is everyone now done playing pretend DeVito is an NFL QB?

I'm not.

coggs

Quote from: killarich on December 17, 2023, 03:53:11 PMIf we could get a kings ransom I agree that would should stock up via the draft and build the rest of the team for the future qb....

Rather draft a qb the following season with a better o-line , and a true number 1 option  at wr to pair with Hyatt and Robinson waiting for him

And the team needs another EDGE to cause a disruption when Thibs is doubled and taken out the game
So, they need to upgrade all of the most important positions?  Yup, I have to agree.

killarich

Quote from: coggs on December 17, 2023, 03:52:06 PMSo, is everyone now done playing pretend DeVito is an NFL QB?

I for one never said the kid was a star but as a fan I hoped we could see something out of him ..... but who doesn't hope for another surprise star like Victor Cruz ?

But it's also pretty obvious we need a  #1 receiver and at LEAST 2 more options on the O-line

This team needs QB of the future .... But I now rather just build the team then insert a qb

Every qb that we have played this season has limped , concussed or been straight injured

Like Jones or not .... I rather not have another qb go through that o-line he'll be did 

Jclayton92

I got buried the past week for calling him a great story but a high level backup so I'm hopeful.

Neither Devito or Jones is the longterm answer and the franchise is going to continue to be embarrassing on offense until we find someone.

Jclayton92

This is the year you get a Qb because this is the year with multiple elite QB prospects.

There are none of those next year, there may be 1 and the likelihood we get them is slim so we need to grab a guy this year while we have the option to do so.

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 17, 2023, 03:54:09 PMIn many respects this was our worst game of the season. All our other embarrassing losses were to good, contending type teams. The only other game that comes to mind is the Seahawks game.

We are very bad. So are the Commanders and Pats, and it took multiple turnovers and missed chip shot type gaffes to beat those teams. The Pack team we just beat last week was riddled with injuries to their best players. Our other two wins were a squeaker against a Joshua Dobbs-led Cards team playing without Buddha Baker and another one score win against the Commanders.

We are a bottom five team in football, and we have no above average QBs on this roster. It's a shame we're going to end up picking something like 7th or 8th.
The Jets and Bills were also embarrassing losses for how the game ended.  Atleast the Bills are a good team, though.

Fletch

Quote from: jgrangers2 on December 17, 2023, 03:42:53 PMThe Saints are also a mediocre team with an average passing attack. Carr is better than Devito but this team isn't winning anything with Derek Carr either so who cares?

That is like saying who cares if ithe Gaints winning.

Look is this a Super bowl team if the Giants told Jones to take a hike when he asked for 45 million and just signed Carr instead of 30 MILLION less guaranteed? No, but you have to start somewhere. The Saints were a below .500 team and now they are not. they are improving while we lok to be regressing.

4 Aces

Terrible performance in a lowkey big spot.

I'm trying to support Daboll but I'm continually left wanting more. I don't like this offensive scheme - I still see no QB under center / comprehensive run game. They had a good idea using Glow at TE but why not get into power run formations while you do it? And stay with it? Feature Barkley in new ways, out of favorable running formations, that keep the defense guessing week to week. Build play action off the run looks.

They do none of this. Shotgun inside handoffs every week. Everything helter-skelter, nothing executed crisply. No timely or interesting play calls in key situations. Great coaches manufacture 1st downs and keep their offense on the field with scheme, too. I haven't seen much of that this year.

Look at Carr. A middling QB - but he attacks. He threatens. His receivers make tough catches.

This offense just doesn't look well-coached, and this is much more concerning to me than the QB situation. And now we probably get 3 new coordinators next year? Not feeling it.

coggs

Quote from: 4 Aces on December 17, 2023, 04:52:09 PMTerrible performance in a lowkey big spot.

I'm trying to support Daboll but I'm continually left wanting more. I don't like this offensive scheme - I still see no QB under center / comprehensive run game. They had a good idea using Glow at TE but why not get into power run formations while you do it? And stay with it? Feature Barkley in new ways, out of favorable running formations, that keep the defense guessing week to week. Build play action off the run looks.

They do none of this. Shotgun inside handoffs every week. Everything helter-skelter, nothing executed crisply. No timely or interesting play calls in key situations. Great coaches manufacture 1st downs and keep their offense on the field with scheme, too. I haven't seen much of that this year.

Look at Carr. A middling QB - but he attacks. He threatens. His receivers make tough catches.

This offense just doesn't look well-coached, and this is much more concerning to me than the QB situation. And now we probably get 3 new coordinators next year? Not feeling it.
They only have 1 good OLinemen.  How is bringing in 6 OL regularly going to help?

Fletch

Quote from: Woody on December 17, 2023, 03:35:45 PMCarr has really stunk it up a few times this year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What games were those? It looks to me like he has had more of like a game manager type season, while his numbers were not high  -- they certainly do not indicate anything that shows like a 4 interception game .

I guess people will stubbornly cling to their emotional judgements so no sense in arguing. Carr is a good QB. Again, since when do avg. QBs have 4X pro bowl and MVP votes?

I suppose the argument look-at-the-rest-of-the-team only works for Giants QBs and not Carr? The difference is that Carr actually has played well at one time. But yeah let's pretend Devito is anything more than QB3 material.

As to why he is not playing for the Raiders. The opwner of that team isn't Mara, that is why

Woody

Quote from: Fletch on December 18, 2023, 09:28:33 AMWhat games were those? It looks to me like he has had more of like a game manager type season, while his numbers were not high  -- they certainly do not indicate anything that shows like a 4 interception game .

I guess people will stubbornly cling to their emotional judgements so no sense in arguing. Carr is a good QB. Again, since when do avg. QBs have 4X pro bowl and MVP votes?

I suppose the argument look-at-the-rest-of-the-team only works for Giants QBs and not Carr? The difference is that Carr actually has played well at one time. But yeah let's pretend Devito is anything more than QB3 material.

As to why he is not playing for the Raiders. The opwner of that team isn't Mara, that is why
Take Carr personal stats out of equation . If most QBs have the time to throw as he did yesterday...they will do very well.
He was only pressured a few times and has pretty good receivers but at 7-7 is he a guy that can carry an offense by himself as many want a Giants QB to be ?

kingm56

Quote from: Woody on December 18, 2023, 09:46:55 AMTake Carr personal stats out of equation . If most QBs have the time to throw as he did yesterday...they will do very well.
He was only pressured a few times and has pretty good receivers but at 7-7 is he a guy that can carry an offense by himself as many want a Giants QB to be ?

Cool, that's one game. How about the other decade of objective data, which clearly indicate Carr is a good QB?  Unless you're going to argue that OAK was some superior team?  Carr is a pro bowl, very good QB.  Is he a top 10 QB...no, which is why he's no longer in Oak. In todays NFL, you need a top 10 type QB to win SBs 

coggs

Quote from: killarich on December 17, 2023, 03:57:39 PMI for one never said the kid was a star but as a fan I hoped we could see something out of him ..... but who doesn't hope for another surprise star like Victor Cruz ?

But it's also pretty obvious we need a  #1 receiver and at LEAST 2 more options on the O-line

This team needs QB of the future .... But I now rather just build the team then insert a qb

Every qb that we have played this season has limped , concussed or been straight injured

Like Jones or not .... I rather not have another qb go through that o-line he'll be did 
People say this with every UDFA.  I guess if they say it often enough, eventually they will be right.  Same with late round OL picks.  People always think they are going to be the same as Diehl.  Not going to happen to often.

Woody

Quote from: Fletch on December 18, 2023, 09:28:33 AMWhat games were those? It looks to me like he has had more of like a game manager type season, while his numbers were not high  -- they certainly do not indicate anything that shows like a 4 interception game .

Who is pretending Devito is more than QB 3 material ...I think most feel he has been able to prove he can be a capable QB in the league as a backup but not a top 10 guy whoever they may be