News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Latest draft order

Started by MightyGiants, December 19, 2023, 02:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

files58

We really need to get ahead of the Bears own pick for picking/trading purposes.

Brooklyn Dave

I posed this question on another post  but never goit an answer. If Washington beats the Jets and we lose and Chicago wins , are we then the 4th pick or the 5th pick?

DaveBrown74

Where we pick obviously matters, but the intentions of those in front of us matter greatly too. It's pretty obvious the Pats are going to take a QB. However they're the only team of the teams currently in front of us I would say are basically a 100% lock to do so. I think the Commanders are likely and the Bears are very possible, but neither is a lock. The Cards are hardly a lock either.

If the Bears want to roll with Fields and trade down from that first pick that's huge for us.

Hard to imagine us picking higher than 5th, which probably means we'll need to trade up if we want one of the coveted QBs, and that wholly depends on there being a team willing to do that that has access to one of those QBs.

SlotCorner

Having Marvin Harrison Jr. in this year's draft helps us. The Bears and Cards could talk themselves into improving the talent around their QBs, instead of getting a new QB. Pats are definitely getting a new QB. They're going to clean house in general I think.

Washington will have a new head coach. That makes them a wildcard on whether they go QB. I think new HC want their own guy.

What I think happens is Schoen gives up a lot to move into top 2 or 3 (if the bears take Harrison). It is time to fish or cut bait.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on December 19, 2023, 02:40:01 PMI posed this question on another post  but never goit an answer. If Washington beats the Jets and we lose and Chicago wins , are we then the 4th pick or the 5th pick?

Without doing the math (the Strength of schedule math) I believe the team would end up picking 4th.  I read a Tweet today that said the Giants mathematically still have the potential to pick as high as 2nd.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 19, 2023, 03:35:42 PMWithout doing the math (the Strength of schedule math) I believe the team would end up picking 4th.  I read a Tweet today that said the Giants mathematically still have the potential to pick as high as 2nd.

For that to potentially happen , The Patriots would have to win 2 out of 3 against the Broncos, Bills and Jets and the Caredinals would have to win 2 out of 3 but one game is against The Bears and I would be happy if the Bears won as I know we would at least jump over them.

sooners56

Giants need a top 3 pick to be assured Williams, Maye or Harrison Jr. I'd be happy with any of the 3
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

katkavage

Quote from: sooners56 on December 19, 2023, 04:17:23 PMGiants need a top 3 pick to be assured Williams, Maye or Harrison Jr. I'd be happy with any of the 3
Unless they make a trade, they won't get either of them. Daniels is in their range though.

Gmo11

Quote from: katkavage on December 19, 2023, 05:05:32 PMUnless they make a trade, they won't get either of them. Daniels is in their range though.

He should be their target at this point.  They've played themselves out of a top 3 pick and it does seem likely that the top 3 will be either Williams/Maye/Harrison or Williams/Maye/Daniels depending on the final order.  If they end up 4 or 5 they should definitely do what they can to get in a spot to take one of those QBs.  It won't be cheap but it will be worth it if they pick the right guy.

katkavage

Quote from: Gmo11 on December 19, 2023, 05:39:37 PMHe should be their target at this point.  They've played themselves out of a top 3 pick and it does seem likely that the top 3 will be either Williams/Maye/Harrison or Williams/Maye/Daniels depending on the final order.  If they end up 4 or 5 they should definitely do what they can to get in a spot to take one of those QBs.  It won't be cheap but it will be worth it if they pick the right guy.
The only certainly I have of the top 5 picking a QB is New England. Not sold Chicago or Washington will. A trade changes everything.

Gmo11

Quote from: katkavage on December 19, 2023, 05:47:06 PMThe only certainly I have of the top 5 picking a QB is New England. Not sold Chicago or Washington will. A trade changes everything.

One certainty I have is that Caleb Williams is going #1.  If the Bears were to decide they don't want to take a QB they will trade that pick for a king's ransom to a team that will.  Agreed on the Patriots taking a QB as well.  Washington is a bit of a wild card.  I'm not 100% convinced they will but I would if I were them.  So that's why I think the Giants are gonna have to likely trade up a couple of spots if they do want to take a QB.

spiderblue43

Quote from: files58 on December 19, 2023, 02:22:44 PMWe really need to get ahead of the Bears own pick for picking/trading purposes.

Bears are home vs. Cards..Sunday. I think we get past them .Washington I doubt.

AZGiantFan

It is amusing how the talk oscillates between what has to happen to make the playoffs and what has to happen to be able to draft a top QB.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Painter

Breathe deeply and repeat the following: There is no such thing as lead pipe lock in Round 1 much less in a later Round. Or is that only true if and when it's a Giants GM who's doing the picking, like say in the past 10 years to wit:

2014- OBJ, a great 12th pick for the Giants for his first 3 but not really for anyone since.

2015- Ereck "9th overall wreck" Flowers. Say no more.

2016- Eli Apple, another top-10 mistake

2017- Evan Engram, pick 23 following the false flag winning 2016. Has done better with Jax.

2018- Saquon Barkley, 2nd overall, a fine talent mostly wasted.

2019- Daniel Jones, a QB w/the No.6 pick. You can fill in the blanks as you please.               
        - Dexter Lawrence, a ten at 17. Yay! Yay! Yay!                                           
        - Deandre Baker, a zero at 30. Boo! Boo! Boo!

2020- Andrew Thomas, a goodie at 4, and more Yays!

2021- Kadarius Toney, the pick was 20, but it wouldn't have mattered when it was. Yuck, Gag, Barf

2022- Thibs at 5 has brought some joy and cheers but for now,                                         
        - Neal at 7 has brought not just no joy but some jeers.

2023- Deonte Banks, a later pick 24 but for a nice reason. Tough for a rook, but has promise. See GBay game

Cheers!