News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants injury report

Started by MightyGiants, December 21, 2023, 03:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

GIANTS INJURY REPORT

DNP:
TE Lawrence Cager (Groin)
DL Dexter Lawrence (Hamstring)
S Xavier McKinney (Illness)
T Evan Neal (Ankle)
DL Rakeem Nunez-Roches (Knee)

Limited:
RB Matt Breida (Hamstring)
LB Carter Coughlin (Neck)
P Jamie Gillan (Left Groin)
DL A'Shawn Robinson (Back)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

President Rick

is  Bullock  fully recovered?  Do we have a kicker, or backup for either PK or punter?
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: President Rick on December 21, 2023, 05:02:29 PMis  Bullock  fully recovered?  Do we have a kicker, or backup for either PK or punter?

Don't ask! I'm long past retired, riddled with arthritis and into one of up to four joint replacement surgeries for outkicking the coverage one time too many!

I'm training up my daughter now and she punts and placekicks much further than I did at nine years old. Give it a decade and change and she'll be on track to break Justin Tucker's record.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 21, 2023, 03:40:59 PMGIANTS INJURY REPORT

DNP:
TE Lawrence Cager (Groin)
DL Dexter Lawrence (Hamstring)
S Xavier McKinney (Illness)
T Evan Neal (Ankle)
DL Rakeem Nunez-Roches (Knee)

Limited:
RB Matt Breida (Hamstring)
LB Carter Coughlin (Neck)
P Jamie Gillan (Left Groin)
DL A'Shawn Robinson (Back)

Good morning, Rich @MightyGiants .

Do you believe that there has been an uptick for the Giants in Hamstring and lower body injuries, in general, for the Giants this year? Do you think it might be possible due to the new turf being hard on the players?

This year reminds me of the Titans' decision to do away with their grass field because they believed it was hard on their players' joints. I haven't really heard much from them this year whether making the change helped them or not.

There was pay website out there that tracks a key safety metric "Lost Man-Games Due to Injury" (www.mangameslost.com, appears to be down as of this morning)
which, from the samples they sometimes shared with the public, appeared to analyze the types of injuries by team and I've thought about buying a subscription before, but it was a little pricey for my tastes as I wouldn't use it much apart from a couple of times a season.

But it is clear that the Jets and Giants have list Quarterbacks on the new turf, opposing teams have incurred injured players on it and it appears it will get a failing grade from the NFL Players' Union despite the three choices which were presented to the two home teams. So, is it back to the drawing board again or will the NJSEA, the Jets and Giants try to divert attention away from the new turf being labeled a mistake?

Whomever does the analysis of every injury incurred on the new turf this year, its severity by lost man games and compare it with the other playing surfaces around the league should tell the story.

My recollection of injuries, especially those of opposing teams, tell me the turf may be even more dangerous than the previous one.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

Quote from: kartanoman on December 22, 2023, 07:51:36 AMGood morning, Rich @MightyGiants .

Do you believe that there has been an uptick for the Giants in Hamstring and lower body injuries, in general, for the Giants this year? Do you think it might be possible due to the new turf being hard on the players?

This year reminds me of the Titans' decision to do away with their grass field because they believed it was hard on their players' joints. I haven't really heard much from them this year whether making the change helped them or not.

There was pay website out there that tracks a key safety metric "Lost Man-Games Due to Injury" (www.mangameslost.com, appears to be down as of this morning)
which, from the samples they sometimes shared with the public, appeared to analyze the types of injuries by team and I've thought about buying a subscription before, but it was a little pricey for my tastes as I wouldn't use it much apart from a couple of times a season.

But it is clear that the Jets and Giants have list Quarterbacks on the new turf, opposing teams have incurred injured players on it and it appears it will get a failing grade from the NFL Players' Union despite the three choices which were presented to the two home teams. So, is it back to the drawing board again or will the NJSEA, the Jets and Giants try to divert attention away from the new turf being labeled a mistake?

Whomever does the analysis of every injury incurred on the new turf this year, its severity by lost man games and compare it with the other playing surfaces around the league should tell the story.

My recollection of injuries, especially those of opposing teams, tell me the turf may be even more dangerous than the previous one.

Peace!

There was recently a discussion (I think the Jones VS Lawerence thread) about reality and perception.   The reality is they replaced the turf this past offseason, and the players even had input.  The new surface is considered one of the best artificial surfaces available.  Yet, athletes (not aware of the change) are still complaining about the surface based solely on reputation. 

As for hamstring injuries, I did a bit of research.  The reality is the hamstring and its function while sprinting is far more complex than I think most people realize.   As a result, scientists and doctors are still trying to learn exactly what happens to a hamstring (they have a basic idea but the details are still elusive) during sprinting.   Without fully understanding that, finding the best ways of reducing hamstring injuries is pretty much a crap shoot. 

I think, based on the evidence we have seen this season with the Giants, the approach they are taking to prevent hamstring injuries needs to be changed.   As to exactly what needs to change, that needs to be answered by people with the proper education and experience.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

President Rick

answer is easy, Rich....we just need to get slower players !!!!!!  :o  /sarcasm/  :o  /sarcasm/

seriously, didn't we think this was one of the fastest Giants teams ever.  yet we still seem to be behind others in that area.

as for the injuries, it happens to us every year at so many positions....you have to wonder what it really is about.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

what troubles me is that clearly hamstrings have been an issue this season.  Yet here is what Joe Schoen said over the break

QuoteQ: Regarding injuries, you mentioned that's been a problem. I know you guys looked at that in the offseason. What takeaways did you have, are there still things that you can do, and have you identified things that maybe you can do? It might be too late now, but have you kind of said, 'Hey, we've got to change this up for next year?'

A: We're going to continue to evaluate that. I wish it was one specific injury. It just hasn't been a consistent. If you could look and say, 'Man, we have seven guys that have the same injury,' you could really do a deep dive on what do we need to do to improve what we're doing in that area, but there hasn't been a consistent, other than we've been injured often. I have a lot of confidence in our training staff and (Head Athletic Trainer) Ronnie Barnes and our strength staff with (Director of Strength and Conditioning Craig) Fitz(gerald).

We're going to continue to look under every rock for any competitive advantage we can get from sports science, training, strength and conditioning, whatever it may be because it is, it's hard to go in and compete week in and week out if you don't have your best players. One of the guys was telling me the other day, going into the season, if you told me (tight end Darren) Waller, (tackle) Andrew Thomas, Saquon and Daniel would play less than 40 plays together, I wouldn't have been real excited about that, and that's the reality of how it played out.

The first part is clear (Joe is ignoring the hamstring issue.

The second part involves unjustified blind faith.  Joe, you have zero medical background, so you need to recognize that you need to base your faith on RESULTS, not the bullshite they feed you.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE