News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is DeVito’s success a fluke or sustainable?

Started by Ed Vette, December 14, 2023, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 25, 2023, 08:12:44 PMWhy would you want him back at all. He has become difficult to watch
Really Really Bad QB

I don't.

His contract makes him untradable.

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 25, 2023, 08:17:06 PMCrash and Burn. Maybe he should had his mind on Football instead of all the distractions. He clearly lost his mojo.

https://nypost.com/2023/12/25/sports/giants-bench-tommy-devito-for-tyrod-taylor-against-eagles/amp/
I think the pro game is way too fast for him. There's a reason he was undrafted. He was OK against bottom feeders but when the talent was much better, he didn't have a gear that would allow him to compete on their level.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on December 25, 2023, 10:11:11 PMI think the pro game is way too fast for him. There's a reason he was undrafted. He was OK against bottom feeders but when the talent was much better, he didn't have a gear that would allow him to compete on their level.
I was talking with Frank yesterday. When I mentioned to him that DeVito may not be tall enough to see the short and intermediate routes and he needs to drop back deeper like Mayfield does. He told me that Drew Brees once said that he didn't see his Receivers in 60% of the passes he threw. It was all timing and anticipation from knowing his receivers. He's 6' and TD is 6'2". The Offensive and Defensive linemen are as tall as 6'6". Taylor isn't tall either. He moves within and out of the pocket to find an open passing lane for an open Receiver. These QB's can not be pure pocket passers. DeVito doesn't have the reps yet. I don't know if he can be developed into a solid backup yet because he lacked practice and game time with the starting Receivers and has had a handful of games. It looked to me that he was given a passing scheme short game and as they were taken away, he missed the crossing routes and mid range by holding the ball too long. Either not wanting to take chances or just not seeing an open passing lane. The league figured out his weaknesses. He needs a lot more training and experience and I don't know if a team will be able to invest starting opportunities for an undrafted FA. He can't survive on just Swing Passes and Flats, and the pass rush won't give him time to see his Receivers as they get deeper.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 25, 2023, 11:08:03 PMI was talking with Frank yesterday. When I mentioned to him that DeVito may not be tall enough to see the short and intermediate routes and he needs to drop back deeper like Mayfield does. He told me that Drew Brees once said that he didn't see his Receivers in 60% of the passes he threw. It was all timing and anticipation from knowing his receivers. He's 6' and TD is 6'2". The Offensive and Defensive linemen are as tall as 6'6". Taylor isn't tall either. He moves within and out of the pocket to find an open passing lane for an open Receiver. These QB's can not be pure pocket passers. DeVito doesn't have the reps yet. I don't know if he can be developed into a solid backup yet because he lacked practice and game time with the starting Receivers and has had a handful of games. It looked to me that he was given a passing scheme short game and as they were taken away, he missed the crossing routes and mid range by holding the ball too long. Either not wanting to take chances or just not seeing an open passing lane. The league figured out his weaknesses. He needs a lot more training and experience and I don't know if a team will be able to invest starting opportunities for an undrafted FA. He can't survive on just Swing Passes and Flats, and the pass rush won't give him time to see his Receivers as they get deeper.
I was thinking about the height thing a few weeks ago as to why Kafka hardly called any crossers for Robinson, Shep,  and Hodgins. Then I remembered Taylor is about the same height as TD.

This is where coaching comes in. Both the QB coach and OC need to design plays to make it easier for the QB.

Why Kafka doesn't move the pocket for any of his QBs is an issue for me.

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on December 25, 2023, 11:15:19 PMI was thinking about the height thing a few weeks ago as to why Kafka hardly called any crossers for Robinson, Shep,  and Hodgins. Then I remembered Taylor is about the same height as TD.

This is where coaching comes in. Both the QB coach and OC need to design plays to make it easier for the QB.

Why Kafka doesn't move the pocket for any of his QBs is an issue for me.
If you're watching the Niners game, on the TD Pass by Darnold, he dropped back three steps from the Shotgun snap, his Center and Guards cleared out the middle and opened up about a two to three yard passing lane and he delivered a pass under the uprights. It takes a village.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 25, 2023, 11:29:17 PMIf you're watching the Niners game, on the TD Pass by Darnold, he dropped back three steps from the Shotgun snap, his Center and Guards cleared out the middle and opened up about a two to three yard passing lane and he delivered a pass under the uprights. It takes a village.
That's what an OC does.

JT39

Devito had two good games against two horrific defenses. Skins and Packers. Packers got lit up by the Panthers this past weekend to a tune of 30 points. The first time they scored over 20 points in like 9 weeks.

Devito stinks. The offense stinks.

Get a QB and a WR immediately.

coggs

Quote from: JT39 on December 26, 2023, 04:56:12 AMDevito had two good games against two horrific defenses. Skins and Packers. Packers got lit up by the Panthers this past weekend to a tune of 30 points. The first time they scored over 20 points in like 9 weeks.

Devito stinks. The offense stinks.

Get a QB and a WR immediately.
But, he LED THEM TO VICTORY! /sarcasm/  ::)