News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Case Study - Ryan Leaf

Started by Philosophers, December 28, 2023, 03:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/society/ryan-leaf-menninger-clinic-annual-luncheon/

Please read this article as I am sure none of you have seen this.  Why do I suggest that?  The reason is twofold: 

First, fans focus too much on the physical attributes of a player.  Focus on the beginning of this article.

Second, fans like to say the teams have psych and background consultants who thoroughly dig up the necessary info on a player.  How did they miss this?

When you evaluate Williams and others, think about this article.

ozzie

Good article and a side of the story I'm guessing not many have heard before.
You never really know where someone is coming from or what they've been through to be where they're at in life.
Good for Leaf for turning it around and using his experience to help others.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Philosophers

Quote from: ozzie on December 29, 2023, 09:03:28 AMGood article and a side of the story I'm guessing not many have heard before.
You never really know where someone is coming from or what they've been through to be where they're at in life.
Good for Leaf for turning it around and using his experience to help others.

Oz - my take on it is a kid who was really troubled early and mentally in his life.  In spite of having great physical attributes, throwing mechanics and results, all things fans flock to while ignoring other signs, there were clearly signs he would not make it as an NFL QB.  How teams could miss it is stunning.  I mean who did they talk to?

kartanoman

Quote from: Philosophers on December 28, 2023, 03:47:57 PMhttps://houston.culturemap.com/news/society/ryan-leaf-menninger-clinic-annual-luncheon/

Please read this article as I am sure none of you have seen this.  Why do I suggest that?  The reason is twofold: 

First, fans focus too much on the physical attributes of a player.  Focus on the beginning of this article.

Second, fans like to say the teams have psych and background consultants who thoroughly dig up the necessary info on a player.  How did they miss this?

When you evaluate Williams and others, think about this article.

Thank you, Joseph, for sharing this important article. Not only would it be helpful to consider it when examining potential draft choices, but also as potential insight into family, friends and folks in your daily life whom you believe something might be off, or not completely right, with them. For too long, "manning up" when struggling with mental/emotional wellness is like a pot of boiling water on the stove which, in time, will boil over if not properly tended to.

With so much at stake for these kids coming out of college, I am hopeful that they, at the very least, have strong support systems to include those whom they trust have their best interests at heart (e.g. parents, family members, clergy, family counselors) to help them during the tough times and keep them straight on their path.

The most important take-away is that it is never a weakness to pursue help for mental/emotional wellness.

Thank you, again!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

Quote from: Philosophers on December 29, 2023, 09:23:12 AMOz - my take on it is a kid who was really troubled early and mentally in his life.  In spite of having great physical attributes, throwing mechanics and results, all things fans flock to while ignoring other signs, there were clearly signs he would not make it as an NFL QB.  How teams could miss it is stunning.  I mean who did they talk to?

One thing to keep in mind is the stigma of mental/emotional wellness, some 25+ years ago, was still considered a weakness or with a negative connotation. In an ultra-conservative state, such as Montana, I would imagine it would even be more challenging to live under such pressures, as Leaf stated in the article.

Only in recent years are people in public speaking up to push back on that old stereotype that seeking help for mental/emotional wellness = bad thing. It's not and Leaf's story is a good example that fighting those issues will not make them go away. To face them, and to address them so you can make peace with them, internally, so they no longer cause you the pain or anger to do destructive things is the objective. It's good to read he's finding his way to peace and prayers for the Menninger Clinic because there are very few qualified Mental Health and Wellness facilities out there who are capable of actually helping people.

Our country needs to wake up and realize that mental health is one of the most serious issues that we are poorly equipped to address both currently and going forward. Seeing this article, however, offers some hope but there is much, much more work to be done.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Philosophers

Quote from: kartanoman on December 29, 2023, 09:46:28 AMOne thing to keep in mind is the stigma of mental/emotional wellness, some 25+ years ago, was still considered a weakness or with a negative connotation. In an ultra-conservative state, such as Montana, I would imagine it would even be more challenging to live under such pressures, as Leaf stated in the article.

Only in recent years are people in public speaking up to push back on that old stereotype that seeking help for mental/emotional wellness = bad thing. It's not and Leaf's story is a good example that fighting those issues will not make them go away. To face them, and to address them so you can make peace with them, internally, so they no longer cause you the pain or anger to do destructive things is the objective. It's good to read he's finding his way to peace and prayers for the Menninger Clinic because there are very few qualified Mental Health and Wellness facilities out there who are capable of actually helping people.

Our country needs to wake up and realize that mental health is one of the most serious issues that we are poorly equipped to address both currently and going forward. Seeing this article, however, offers some hope but there is much, much more work to be done.

Peace!

Well said.  You are spot on in all aspects of your thoughts.

Philosophers

Quote from: kartanoman on December 29, 2023, 09:34:04 AMThank you, Joseph, for sharing this important article. Not only would it be helpful to consider it when examining potential draft choices, but also as potential insight into family, friends and folks in your daily life whom you believe something might be off, or not completely right, with them. For too long, "manning up" when struggling with mental/emotional wellness is like a pot of boiling water on the stove which, in time, will boil over if not properly tended to.

With so much at stake for these kids coming out of college, I am hopeful that they, at the very least, have strong support systems to include those whom they trust have their best interests at heart (e.g. parents, family members, clergy, family counselors) to help them during the tough times and keep them straight on their path.

The most important take-away is that it is never a weakness to pursue help for mental/emotional wellness.

Thank you, again!

Peace!

It really highlights complexities in one's life and how it can weigh deeply on you psychologically.

LennG

Great story.

The GM of the Colts (I forgot his name), said that he didn't sleep all night, the night before the draft still not knowing who he would select, Manning or Leaf. After being up all night he finally settled on Manning, mainly because of his father and he felt Manning was the more professional. The rest is history. What would have happened had he drafted Leaf instead? Would SD have selected Manning?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss