News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants can move to #2 overall....

Started by zephirus, December 31, 2023, 04:24:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: kingm56 on January 01, 2024, 02:58:06 AMBecause the Giants lack a QB; there are two types of team in todays NFL, those with a Franchise (or potential Franchise) QB, and those without one.  The latter experience the run the Giants have 'enjoyed' for 5 years now; thus, they don't trade a top 4 pick when they have a chance to draft the former.  For the Giants, extra picks won't solve their fundamental problem, which is a lack of quality passers at the most important position in sports.   

Four of the top 5 QBs in the NFL right now : Jalen Hurts was a second round pick, Dak Prescott , a 4th round pick. Brock Purdy, the last player picked and Lamar Jackson the 32nd pick.

kingm56

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on January 01, 2024, 06:45:55 AMFour of the top 5 QBs in the NFL right now : Jalen Hurts was a second round pick, Dak Prescott , a 4th round pick. Brock Purdy, the last player picked and Lamar Jackson the 32nd pick.

Interesting, at the beginning of this season posters were arguing every single one of those QB was not A: Not better than DJ and B: NOT a Top 10 QBs.  Its interesting to read all the recent 180s.  Regardless, your notion doesn't account for the numerous top 10 5 QBs who succeeded.  It's a matter of fact that a higher percentage of QBs selected in the top 10, are more successful than those selected outside that range.  To illustrate that notion, how many other 2d and 4th round QBs are successful as Dak and Hurts?   

uconnjack8

Quote from: coggs on December 31, 2023, 07:08:25 PMhead to head does not count for draft tie-breaker.
[/quot
Quote from: coggs on December 31, 2023, 07:08:25 PMhead to head does not count for draft tie-breaker.

Correct, unless two teams have the same record and same SoS and have played each other. 

uconnjack8

Quote from: zephirus on December 31, 2023, 04:24:44 PMWith a Patriots win, Commanders win and Cardinals win (and a Giants loss).

Jets @ Patriots - Belichick almost never loses to the Jets in what should be a miserable game.
Cowboys @ Commanders - fingers crossed, both teams will have plenty of motivation with Dallas looking to clinch the East and the Commanders looking to play spoiler.  Also, the Cowboys on the road are a vastly different team.
Seahawks @ Cardinals - division game.  Seattle looks good but the Cardinals have been competitive of late. 

With all that said, I'd love nothing more than to spoil the Eagles' chance at the division depending on the outcome of the Cowboys/Commanders game.

After watching yesterday I don't think this scenario is that far-fetched.   The Commanders winning might seem it, but history says different in this series.

Seattle who has lost 5 of their last 7 can definitely lose to AZ on the road.

Ed Vette

If the teams ahead win and the Giants lose to Philly wouldn't the Giants SOS increase and theirs decrease?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 01, 2024, 08:27:59 AMIf the teams ahead win and the Giants lose to Philly wouldn't the Giants SOS increase and theirs decrease?

Ed, that is definitely true, however, if you are looking at Tankathon.com,  I think their listing includes all 17 weeks with their current records.  So the changes in SOS for Wash, NE and AZ would be minimal.

Here is the current SOS on ESPN.

Dumpster Dan

We seem to be talking about 5th or possibilities on how to get to picking 2d?   Are they the only two scenarios?  No 3d or 4th??

Dumpster Dan

uconnjack8

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on January 01, 2024, 09:02:19 AMWe seem to be talking about 5th or possibilities on how to get to picking 2d?   Are they the only two scenarios?  No 3d or 4th??

Dumpster Dan

Dan,

If the Giants lose next week, they would jump any of those teams (Wash, AZ or NE) if they win. 

Basically, the Giants will have the lowest SOS of any potential 5 win teams. So if AZ and/or NE win Giants would move past them in draft order.

katkavage

If they can squeeze into 4 they will have an opportunity for one of the top 3 QBs. If they have their heart set on one over the others they should trade up with Chicago to get him. It's been done before and ultimately resulted in two Super Bowl victories.

uconnjack8

Just for further clarification,  here is the tankathon.com standings with the explanation that the top about the 17 game SOS.  They have the SOS with current records for all 17 games.  ESPN has it only for games that have been played.

DaveBrown74

The Pats, Commanders, and Cards all have home games.

So do we of course, and the Eagles are struggling in a major way. I still think they beat us though.

I struggle to see the Commanders losing to Dallas, but I feel like Arizona could beat Seattle and the Pats could certainly beat the Jets. Especially in Belichick's last game ever in Gillette or as Pats head coach against a rival.

I actually wouldn't rule out two of the above teams winning their games.

If we get to the 4-spot, even if the Bears decide to move on from Fields, since I see Harrison going in the top three I think we'll get a shot at one of the big three QBs without having to trade up. Needless to say there's always the chance the first three picks could be QBs, but the odds of Harrison not going in the top three seem very low to me. People regard him as a generational talent and potentially the best football player in this draft, period.

So unless we beat the Eagles, I think our odds of getting one of the big three QBs without a trade are pretty decent. If the Bears decide to keep Fields and trade the pick or draft Harrison, then we're in even better shape. I don't know if they'll do that, but with the way he's been playing and the fact that the team is 4-1 in their last five, I would not by any means rule it out.

DaveBrown74

It's going to be tough for this young new GM to kick Justin Fields to the curb given fan pressure:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1741822614987850139

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 01, 2024, 09:40:47 AMThe Pats, Commanders, and Cards all have home games.

So do we of course, and the Eagles are struggling in a major way. I still think they beat us though.

I struggle to see the Commanders losing to Dallas, but I feel like Arizona could beat Seattle and the Pats could certainly beat the Jets. Especially in Belichick's last game ever in Gillette or as Pats head coach against a rival.

I actually wouldn't rule out two of the above teams winning their games.

If we get to the 4-spot, even if the Bears decide to move on from Fields, since I see Harrison going in the top three I think we'll get a shot at one of the big three QBs without having to trade up. Needless to say there's always the chance the first three picks could be QBs, but the odds of Harrison not going in the top three seem very low to me. People regard him as a generational talent and potentially the best football player in this draft, period.

So unless we beat the Eagles, I think our odds of getting one of the big three QBs without a trade are pretty decent. If the Bears decide to keep Fields and trade the pick or draft Harrison, then we're in even better shape. I don't know if they'll do that, but with the way he's been playing and the fact that the team is 4-1 in their last five, I would not by any means rule it out.

I could see the Bears, if they want to keep Fields trading back to 3 and taking Harrison.  Not sure how much they would get in such a deal.

Philosophers

If it ends up being 3 QBs + MHJR it seems we need to be concerned not only with moving up but getting jumped by another team who trades up.  Also I can't imagine the giants will be indifferent as to all three QBs. They may love 1 but be much less so on two others

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 01, 2024, 09:52:39 AMI could see the Bears, if they want to keep Fields trading back to 3 and taking Harrison.  Not sure how much they would get in such a deal.

I guess that totally depends on who is picking third. Personally I don't see the Cards drafting a QB. The Murray contract is massive and considered a brutal contract. I can't see them moving it. Plus he hasn't been that bad for them this year. They're 3-4 with him and 1-8 in games without him. They may just decide they want Harrison.

If it's someone like us, the Commanders, or the Pats at third, then it's possible it could happen.