News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What’s the biggest disconnect between the national media and Giants fans POV?

Started by shadowspinner0, January 01, 2024, 05:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowspinner0

What's the biggest disconnect between the national media and the fans perspective when it comes to your team?

Whether they are more positive or negative despite you thinking the opposite. For me is that while QB play is bad, OL is tiers below the list of problems the media blames for the Giants bad season. The attitude is usually "yeah the OL stinks BUT THE QB...". And I'm not defending Jones, I want a new QB drafted but it seems like the people don't watch games and just blame the QB by default because they already hated him. Also the narrative that "they paid Jones 40 mil and didn't pay their best player", when there were more nuances and factors to went along with that situation rather than the team choosing Jones over Barkley.

DaveBrown74

For a while it was the national media being down on Jones while many fans were high on him and thought he was a really good QB who just needed more help. Clearly almost no fans think that anymore.

I'd say now the big disconnect is on Daboll. The national media all think he's an awesome coach. Giants fans (broadly, not exclusively) seem very down on him all of a sudden.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 01, 2024, 05:41:23 PMFor a while it was the national media being down on Jones while many fans were high on him and thought he was a really good QB who just needed more help. Clearly almost no fans think that anymore.

I'd say now the big disconnect is on Daboll. The national media all think he's an awesome coach. Giants fans (broadly, not exclusively) seem very down on him all of a sudden.
Fans always go after the coach. Pittsburgh fans were going after Tomlin this year but he is a miracle worker getting a team low on the talent into the playoffs again.

spiderblue43

Daboll does get a lot of love nationally. Yessir. Coach of the Year..fiesty. great qb tutor. Okay

But his decisions in close games . yesterday. Bills .Jets.. Cowboys game plan on opening night..special teams. his staff issues, etc  not thought of.

It's been a rough year. humbling for him  That's the difference 

Hadron

When you live outside of the NY market, you realize that Jones is not the answer to a starting QB.

katkavage

Quote from: spiderblue43 on January 01, 2024, 05:59:01 PMDaboll does get a lot of love nationally. Yessir. Coach of the Year..fiesty. great qb tutor. Okay

But his decisions in close games . yesterday. Bills .Jets.. Cowboys game plan on opening night..special teams. his staff issues, etc  not thought of.

It's been a rough year. humbling for him  That's the difference
No doubt he has had a poor year coaching. He will get next year but his seat will be warm if not hot. He will be begging for a good young QB.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Hadron on January 01, 2024, 06:35:12 PMWhen you live outside of the NY market, you realize that Jones is not the answer to a starting QB.

I would suggest one does not need to live outside the NY market to be able to realize that.

madbadger

Quote from: katkavage on January 01, 2024, 05:49:57 PMFans always go after the coach. Pittsburgh fans were going after Tomlin this year but he is a miracle worker getting a team low on the talent into the playoffs again.

No kidding. If the Steelers fired Tomlin I'd hire him to coach the Giants in a heartbeat. In college football it's all about the coaching in the NFL it's about talent. Tomlin is an elite head coach.

Jclayton92

There was a huge group of people here that realized what Jones was early like 3 years ago.

kingm56

Quote from: Hadron on January 01, 2024, 06:35:12 PMWhen you live outside of the NY market, you realize that Jones is not the answer to a starting QB.

??? The outside market was well aware of this fact well before 90% percent of Giant fans.  Most pundits ranked Jones no better than the 17th best NFL QB; it was the NY fans (this board included, who were arguing DJ was better than Hurts, Dak, and Lamar Jackson.

BluesCruz

Quote from: kingm56 on January 02, 2024, 04:54:36 AM??? The outside market was well aware of this fact well before 90% percent of Giant fans.  Most pundits ranked Jones no better than the 17th best NFL QB; it was the NY fans (this board included, who were arguing DJ was better than Hurts, Dak, and Lamar Jackson.

he went from being a mid ranked QB to one of the worst ever to play the game in one off season

It must be the fact his financial future is now secure and he refuses to take any chances down the field

It was noted recently that Kurt Warner once refused while a Giant to throw a Hail Mary that would potentially result in a an INT and skewer his Stats. This
came from a former teammate of Warner who refused to name Warner specifically but when probed said the QB he refered to "was in the Hall of Fame"

At one time Jones was an INT machine and I think it was McAdoo who came in with the short ball offense that Jones perpetuates to this day.  Bad habits are hard to break as are any habits

Its been so long since Jones threw long he has lost his touch for such passes

DeVito and Taylor have no such inhibition

Perhaps Jones is just as INT adverse as Warner.  If you extend the pass downrange you increase the chances it will be picked off

Long story short Jones has become a liability. Danny Dimes gone conservative.  I suspect Daboll was not jumping up and down insisting on long passes either
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

katkavage

When I was younger, I saw the world through Giant blue glasses. Now, I know that you need to take those glasses off to see things clearly. You need to step away, get out of your Giant bubble and accept the sometimes harsh reality. That's why I wish the owner would find something else to do with his time than run the team. His eyesight is skewed.

kartanoman

Quote from: katkavage on January 02, 2024, 07:07:11 AMWhen I was younger, I saw the world through Giant blue glasses. Now, I know that you need to take those glasses off to see things clearly. You need to step away, get out of your Giant bubble and accept the sometimes harsh reality. That's why I wish the owner would find something else to do with his time than run the team. His eyesight is skewed.

There is a lot of truth in this. Having lived outside the northeast for over 30 years now, I listen in on the banter of local teams and perk my ears whenever the Giants are mentioned. The truth is that the national media doesn't speak much of them because, even at the start of this season, the only story line was whether Daniel Jones would step up to be a big name QB after signing the new contract. After 40-0, you could hear the "pop" in that balloon and you really didn't hear much after that. The Giants were on national TV often, in the first half of the season, and the results were clear; they weren't national TV material and you don't hear about them anymore.

It really is no surprise and it shouldn't come as a shock to anyone. There really is nothing exciting for the national press to grab onto when it comes to the Giants so that's what you're basically getting now is crickets.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

I think we overvalue the opinions of the national media.  From what I have observed, most lack the knowledge of the team that most of the members here possess.  They have to focus on 32 teams and teams near the bottom get little to no attention.  There is also the question of what qualifies a particular media person as an expert on professional football. 

The only two national-level "media" people I listen to regularly are the GM Podcast (former GM Randy Mueller and Mike Sando) and The GM Shuffle with former GM Mike Lombardi. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Dabol has definitely regressed as we have seen odd decision making all year long. Last year he went for 2 in biggest of spots and this year he was conservative at best. I feel his training camp relaxed atmosphere is part of the reason we had early hamstring injuries as well as a slow start. His inability to be creative and take shots downfield hurt the offense. His game plan against Jets (I think it was them) was among the worst I EVER saw where he literally basically refused to allow Devito to throw a pass. That was the defining moment for me. Played not to lose instead of to win. Stark contrast with the Lions coach.

He needs to get rid of the Oline coach and special teams guy to start. Kafka and Wink should be examined as well.
He gets next year but as stated earlier the seat will be warm and it should be