News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who the NFL players consider the top coordinators

Started by MightyGiants, January 04, 2024, 01:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The NFLPA on Thursday revealed which NFL offensive, defensive and special teams coordinators received the highest votes of approval from players.

Top 5 Defensive Coordinators

Aaron Glenn - Detroit Lions
Steve Wilks - San Francisco 49ers
Dan Quinn - Dallas Cowboys
Brian Flores - Minnesota Vikings
Raheem Morris - Los Angeles Rams

Top 5 Offensive Coordinators

Frank Smith - Miami Dolphins
Thomas Brown - Carolina Panthers
Brian Schottenheimer - Dallas Cowboys
Brian Callahan - Cincinnati Bengals
Kellen Moore - Los Angeles Chargers

Top 5 Special Teams Coordinators

John Fassel - Dallas Cowboys
Chris Tabor - Carolina Panthers
Matt Daniels - Minnesota Vikings
Dave Fipp - Detroit Lions
Darren Rizzi - New Orleans Saints

https://nflpa.com/posts/nfl-players-rank-top-team-coordinators
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Hadron

Im waiting to see if Raheem Morris gets another shot at HC. He seems primed for another shot after working his way through the ranks again.

What he's done with the Rams defense this year is impressive.

DaveBrown74

Dan Quinn will also get another shot, clearly.

Some guys are great coordinators but just not great head coaches though. Are there many examples of guys who were very good coordinators, got a HC job, failed at it, went back to being a coordinator, did well as a coordinator again, and then got another crack at HC and it went really well from that point on? I feel like that's pretty rare. The latest example of a failed attempt at that is Josh McDaniels.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Hadron on January 04, 2024, 02:20:57 PMIm waiting to see if Raheem Morris gets another shot at HC. He seems primed for another shot after working his way through the ranks again.

What he's done with the Rams defense this year is impressive.

I agree, he was pretty young the first time around. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

The best coordinators in my lifetime have been Bill Bellicheck, Buddy Ryan and Mike Martz.  In college I was blown away when Norm Chow was OC for USC as his halftime adjustments were always game changing.

Right now, I think the best coordinator in both the NFL and college is Jesse Minter, the DC at Michigan.  He is outscheming everyone and making better adjustments.  Nick Saban said Minter is running the most sophisticated NFL style defense he has ever seen.  Marvin Harrison Jr said that when Ohio State played Michigan, Minter schemed a coverage that game that he and OSU had never seen before and were completely unprepared for.  The word is that if Harbaugh returns to the NFL, he is going to bring Minter with him.  I truly believe Minter will get college HC interviews this year from big programs.  I am not saying this as a Michigan homer, but I see an intuition and creativity from Minter that I have not seen since Bill B.  He is only 34 years old.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 04, 2024, 02:24:30 PMDan Quinn will also get another shot, clearly.

Some guys are great coordinators but just not great head coaches though. Are there many examples of guys who were very good coordinators, got a HC job, failed at it, went back to being a coordinator, did well as a coordinator again, and then got another crack at HC and it went really well from that point on? I feel like that's pretty rare. The latest example of a failed attempt at that is Josh McDaniels.

Yet Dan may not go after another HC position.  Jerrah pays his good coordinators as well as many HCs.  It's no accident that all three of the Cowboys coordinators made the list.  There are certain aspects of the game, like coaching, where deep pocket and free-spending owners can be a real advantage.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 04, 2024, 02:28:08 PMYet Dan may not go after another HC position.  Jerrah pays his good coordinators as well as many HCs.  It's no accident that all three of the Cowboys coordinators made the list.  There are certain aspects of the game, like coaching, where deep pocket and free-spending owners can be a real advantage.

I tend to think he would be wise to stay put. But I would never fault him for wanting to try again.

MightyGiants

One thing I noticed and found interesting was the Panthers OC being listed in the top 5.  The Panthers are last in yards and second to last in poinst
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on January 04, 2024, 02:34:08 PMSomeone will take a chance with Flores.

The problem with hiring Flores is that after his lawsuit, only a team that has already decided they want to hire Flores would bring him in for an interview.  If you interview him and don't hire him, you can expect to be sued. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 04, 2024, 02:55:37 PMThe problem with hiring Flores is that after his lawsuit, only a team that has already decided they want to hire Flores would bring him in for an interview.  If you interview him and don't hire him, you can expect to be sued. 

Couldn't that be avoided by asking him to agree in writing prior to the start of the interview process to not sue, should they decide not to hire him after a comprehensive interview process involving multiple candidates?

That would seem a reasonable request to make given his past, and if he refused to agree to that, then if I'm the team in question I'd know right there he's not the type of leader I want.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 04, 2024, 03:00:08 PMCouldn't that be avoided by asking him to agree in writing prior to the start of the interview process to not sue, should they decide not to hire him after a comprehensive interview process involving multiple candidates?

That would seem a reasonable request to make given his past, and if he refused to agree to that, then if I'm the team in question I'd know right there he's not the type of leader I want.

While this would seem reasonable, from my experience, Flores would make major PR hay (and likely sue) with such a request.  One of the HR founding concepts is the idea of everyone being treated the same (regardless of whether such an act makes sense).  So, requiring one candidate to have to sign a waiver and not the others would likely lead to yet another lawsuit. 

The only way such an idea would possibly be feasible would be by asking all candidates to sign such a waiver.  However, I question how well that would hold up in the legal system, seeing how NDAs have been treated in the courts lately.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 04, 2024, 03:08:35 PMWhile this would seem reasonable, from my experience, Flores would make major PR hay (and likely sue) with such a request.  One of the HR founding concepts is the idea of everyone being treated the same (regardless of whether such an act makes sense).  So, requiring one candidate to have to sign a waiver and not the others would likely lead to yet another lawsuit. 

The only way such an idea would possibly be feasible would be by asking all candidates to sign such a waiver.  However, I question how well that would hold up in the legal system, seeing how NDAs have been treated in the courts lately.

If Flores really wants to get another head coaching job, while I know he won't do this, he might augment his chances by volunteering my suggestion up front.

Philosophers

Flores will never get another HC job again.  Why?  For the same reason banks do not loan to borrowers who sue banks.  Same with employees who sue forms they worked for.  Kiss of death to get hired again. 

DaveBrown74

I can't rule it out that Flores will get another crack at a head coaching gig. I actually think he probably will. If people were so terrified of him he wouldn't have been hired by two separate organizations since leaving the Dolphins and filing his lawsuit.