News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who the NFL players consider the top coordinators

Started by MightyGiants, January 04, 2024, 01:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on January 04, 2024, 02:27:30 PMThe best coordinators in my lifetime have been Bill Bellicheck, Buddy Ryan and Mike Martz.  In college I was blown away when Norm Chow was OC for USC as his halftime adjustments were always game changing.

Right now, I think the best coordinator in both the NFL and college is Jesse Minter, the DC at Michigan.  He is outscheming everyone and making better adjustments.  Nick Saban said Minter is running the most sophisticated NFL style defense he has ever seen.  Marvin Harrison Jr said that when Ohio State played Michigan, Minter schemed a coverage that game that he and OSU had never seen before and were completely unprepared for.  The word is that if Harbaugh returns to the NFL, he is going to bring Minter with him.  I truly believe Minter will get college HC interviews this year from big programs.  I am not saying this as a Michigan homer, but I see an intuition and creativity from Minter that I have not seen since Bill B.  He is only 34 years old.
I'd be thrilled if the Giants brought in Minter to DC and Hartline from OSU to OC.

nb587

The most fa
Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 04, 2024, 02:24:30 PMDan Quinn will also get another shot, clearly.

Some guys are great coordinators but just not great head coaches though. Are there many examples of guys who were very good coordinators, got a HC job, failed at it, went back to being a coordinator, did well as a coordinator again, and then got another crack at HC and it went really well from that point on? I feel like that's pretty rare. The latest example of a failed attempt at that is Josh McDaniels.
[/quote
Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 04, 2024, 02:24:30 PMThe most famous one related to the Giants was when they hired Bill Arnsbarger as HC who had been the DC of the Dolphins.  He was regarded as a brilliant defensive mind who ran the Dolphins defense including the year when they went undefeated.  He turned out to be a horrible HC.  He had no communication skills; couldn't communicate with the team or the media or the fans, just a brilliant mind.

DaveBrown74

QuoteThe most famous one related to the Giants was when they hired Bill Arnsbarger as HC who had been the DC of the Dolphins.  He was regarded as a brilliant defensive mind who ran the Dolphins defense including the year when they went undefeated.  He turned out to be a horrible HC.  He had no communication skills; couldn't communicate with the team or the media or the fans, just a brilliant mind.

There have been countless examples like this. I was asking if there are any examples of an effective coordinator who was a failed head coach the first time but then was given a second opportunity and was successful that second time.

Maybe Pete Carroll?

shadowspinner0

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 04, 2024, 02:24:30 PMDan Quinn will also get another shot, clearly.

Some guys are great coordinators but just not great head coaches though. Are there many examples of guys who were very good coordinators, got a HC job, failed at it, went back to being a coordinator, did well as a coordinator again, and then got another crack at HC and it went really well from that point on? I feel like that's pretty rare. The latest example of a failed attempt at that is Josh McDaniels.

Depends what you think of those Buddy Ryan Eagles teams

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 04, 2024, 06:07:49 PMI'd be thrilled if the Giants brought in Minter to DC and Hartline from OSU to OC.

Good call in Hartline.  I have liked him as well.

TDToomer

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 04, 2024, 06:14:14 PMThere have been countless examples like this. I was asking if there are any examples of an effective coordinator who was a failed head coach the first time but then was given a second opportunity and was successful that second time.

Maybe Pete Carroll?

Carroll failed twice (Jets, Patriots). It was a 3rds opportunity for him and it worked out. But the gold standard is Bellichick.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on January 05, 2024, 01:36:38 PMCarroll failed twice (Jets, Patriots). It was a 3rds opportunity for him and it worked out. But the gold standard is Bellichick.

Completely blanked on Carroll's stint as HC at New England. You're absolutely right.