News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Wink "resigns" from the Giants

Started by MightyGiants, January 08, 2024, 03:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingm56

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on January 08, 2024, 05:02:12 PM29th and 27th in run defense the last two years. And that's with a ton of cap invested in Dex, Leo and Okereke. I respect Wink and his body of work but I'm okay with losing him at this point. Not to mention two resignations in three years is also a red flag.

On another note, people here don't actually believe Belichick would take a coordinator role, right?

Once again, spot on, Doc!

The Giants have also ranked near the bottom of the NFL in sacks; this year, they were #29.  As it relates to Wink's performance with the Giants, there seems to be a lot of cognitive dissonance; fans "feel/believe" he's an amazing DC because they recall his time with Balt, when he was blessed with multiple APs and produced top 5 defenses. However, that was a long time ago; in the recent past, he's led some very mediocre units over the last 4 years. Balt actually got better when he left.

As it relates to the Wink's performance with the Giants, the objective metrics are clear...his defenses have been outright terrible. They are, in fact, among the worst in the league.  It shouldn't be too hard to find someone who can lead a bottom 4 defensive unit.  In short, this isn't a huge loss....

killarich

I just hope whatver happens the Giants do NOT bring back Graham

People forget we only got Wink because once again it was Graham's decsion to leave , he was Daboll's first choice

That being said Graham's soft zone defense was dreadful to watch ..... Please Daboll dont do it

GordonGekko80

I don't like this resignation...

But as mentioned by someone before, nobody needs to stay that doesn't want to be here.

Graham? No thanks.

Spags if it was me. But he's unlikely to leave KC.

BluesCruz

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 08, 2024, 06:22:10 PMIf he goes to the Rams is that McVay giving the reach around?

"Mr Generational" got on the bus looking like Mr Bean after he dodged the bullet

But that was funny Hand Job .... Hillarious
It was the strangest endorsement I'd ever heard prior to a consequential game

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

nb587

Question about Graham. Clearly many here dont want him back based on style.  I don't know the answer to this.  How do his defenses stack up relative to others?

killarich

Quote from: nb587 on January 09, 2024, 07:58:27 AMQuestion about Graham. Clearly many here dont want him back based on style.  I don't know the answer to this.  How do his defenses stack up relative to others?

With Graham , whether down a TD or up a TD ... the other team is guaranteed to get at least a FG before halftime due to purposely giving 15 yard cushions

Hard Pass on Graham

uconnjack8

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on January 08, 2024, 05:02:12 PM29th and 27th in run defense the last two years. And that's with a ton of cap invested in Dex, Leo and Okereke. I respect Wink and his body of work but I'm okay with losing him at this point. Not to mention two resignations in three years is also a red flag.

On another note, people here don't actually believe Belichick would take a coordinator role, right?

Do poorly rated OLBs have something to do with that?  Asking for a friend.

nb587

Quote from: killarich on January 09, 2024, 08:34:08 AMWith Graham , whether down a TD or up a TD ... the other team is guaranteed to get at least a FG before halftime due to purposely giving 15 yard cushions

Hard Pass on Graham
Thats still a style question.  I'm asking how the defenses ranked .

kingm56

Quote from: killarich on January 09, 2024, 02:52:43 AMI just hope whatver happens the Giants do NOT bring back Graham

People forget we only got Wink because once again it was Graham's decsion to leave , he was Daboll's first choice

That being said Graham's soft zone defense was dreadful to watch ..... Please Daboll dont do it

Patrick Graham led the #15 ranked defense.
Wink led the #28 ranked defense.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 09, 2024, 08:38:22 AMDo poorly rated OLBs have something to do with that?  Asking for a friend.
Lol, point taken. No shade intended to Wink. I'm a fan of his. I wasn't in a rush to replace him, just don't see it as a tremendous loss at this point.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on January 09, 2024, 08:54:37 AMLol, point taken. No shade intended to Wink. I'm a fan of his. I wasn't in a rush to replace him, just don't see it as a tremendous loss at this point.

I think Wink is a decent DC, I dont think he is great.   Found it odd that he was that loyal to those brothers given that one is the OLB coach and this team had issues with dealing the edges in the run game pretty regularly.   I realize that ls not always an OLB responsibility on a given play,  but it certainly is at some points. 

Totally agree in your assessment.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 09, 2024, 08:38:22 AMDo poorly rated OLBs have something to do with that?  Asking for a friend.

He also had pretty good interior linemen and a tackling machine in Okereke.  Blaming our horrendous run defense on the OLBs sounds like making excuses.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

uconnjack8

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 09, 2024, 01:41:38 PMHe also had pretty good interior linemen and a tackling machine in Okereke.  Blaming our horrendous run defense on the OLBs sounds like making excuses.

I saw a lot of issues sealing edges.  I think your point might actually point more to the OLBs than it doesn't. 

Really not sure how evaluating positions is making excuses.  If you say the MLB and IDL are good, and the team was poor against the run, where is the issue?  Seems like if one thinks the interior is good, the issue is the edge guys.

Philosophers

What exactly happened to cause this parting?  Why would Dabs be upset with him?

AZGiantFan

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 09, 2024, 04:18:41 PMI saw a lot of issues sealing edges.  I think your point might actually point more to the OLBs than it doesn't. 

Really not sure how evaluating positions is making excuses.  If you say the MLB and IDL are good, and the team was poor against the run, where is the issue?  Seems like if one thinks the interior is good, the issue is the edge guys.

I was being ironic, sorry it didn't come through.  If the problem was sealing the edges and the OLBs it puts a different light on the Wilkins firing.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll