News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Wink "resigns" from the Giants

Started by MightyGiants, January 08, 2024, 03:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coggs

Quote from: shadowspinner0 on January 08, 2024, 03:34:33 PMJay Glazer deserves an apology
I feel like this happens often.  Media reports something negative about the team.  Team denies the report.  Fans believe the team.  Media was eventually proven correct.  Wash-rinse-repeat.

andrew_nyGiants

Could this be a bunch of engineered melodrama with the end game sending Daboll to LA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

coggs

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on January 08, 2024, 05:03:11 PMYeah, it's very confusing. There was another poster like this a couple years ago. Blanking on his screen name.
There ALWAYS seems to be one.  Eventually they disappear or get banned and then another one pops up.  Usually happens as we approach the draft.  A few times I have been convinced some were the same person.

coggs

Quote from: AYM on January 08, 2024, 05:46:54 PMI'm not a huge fan of Martindale's defense (I think the league has figured him out, that's why Baltimore moved on), but at the same time, this much turnover on the coaching roster makes me wonder if we shouldn't consider just firing Daboll after all.
Disagree.  To me, it shows he is willing to cut bait on guys he hired when it is not working.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

The Giants were 6-11. I'm going to have a hard time getting upset about anyone leaving.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Giant Obsession

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 07:55:34 PMhttps://x.com/giantinsider/status/1744519358825603125?s=46&t=1vcQIN8GqF5J2oLdxEVEJQ

Oh yes, they are both so much smarter than the rest of the room.  Gee, no one could ever figure out that was their strategy.

Dabs, the Master and Schoen the Manipulator.  We done been sold a cheap vaudeville act.  Whatever happened when Men ruled the NFL.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

AYM

Quote from: coggs on January 08, 2024, 07:28:06 PMDisagree.  To me, it shows he is willing to cut bait on guys he hired when it is not working.

Then just cut bait instead of this Machiavellian rigamarole.

Also Joe Judge cut bait on Colombo after a half season.

LennG

Personally, the wrong coordinator left but I agree the league seems to have caught up to Wink's schemes.

Myself, I like Wink's style of defense, attacking all the time, but I felt he didn't use a few of his guys the right way, I wonder if Thibs will bloom more under a new DC, and then there is Simmons, who again, I felt was used as a situational player when he could be a star in the right defense.

I wish Wink the best and I'm sure he won't be out of work very long.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

UncannyGfan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 08, 2024, 06:09:23 PMI like Antonio Pierce and have a lot of respect for how he handled his time in Vegas as interim head coach, but it should be noted that he has never been an NFL defensive coordinator before. He was the linebackers coach there and then promoted directly to interim HC after the Josh McDaniels firing.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good DC, but the point of the matter is that this would be uncharted territory for him. There is a difference between being in the CEO role and being a defensive tactician who calls plays on every snap. It would be a speculative hire from a skillset perspective if they went in that direction. He has no experience or track record as a DC.

I'd take Pierce over Daboll right now.  He inspires.  Maybe one day in his future he'll be the HC of the Giants.

T200

Quote from: Giant Obsession on January 08, 2024, 08:14:59 PMOh yes, they are both so much smarter than the rest of the room.  Gee, no one could ever figure out that was their strategy.

Dabs, the Master and Schoen the Manipulator.  We done been sold a cheap vaudeville act.  Whatever happened when Men ruled the NFL.
Wink took the bait because of his arrogance and eo, as Ed mentioned.

Here's the ironic thing: everyone knows Daboll was close to Bobby Johnson and that their friendship might prevent him from firing Johnson. Daboll fires 2 of Wink's favored assistants and Wink quits.

Also, I'm not sure about coaches' contracts but I'm assuming that by him quitting, Wink isn't owed any money versus if he was fired.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

SUPERSEE

Quote from: londonblue on January 08, 2024, 03:40:32 PMDaboll's seat just got a LOT hotter for next season. For right or wrong a substantial portion of the fanbase thinks Wink is the better coach of the two so he has to get this hire right.
agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coggs

Quote from: AYM on January 08, 2024, 08:35:26 PMThen just cut bait instead of this Machiavellian rigamarole.

Also Joe Judge cut bait on Colombo after a half season.
I am talking about guys like the OL, ST coach.  If what is being rumored is true about the way wink was handled.  Don't like it, but I can understand the business aspect of not wanting him to be a full FA by firing him.

Judge fired Colombo because Colombo threatened him physically. 

Rosehill Jimmy

11:20 PM and not a word on the team website regarding the resignation
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

files58

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 08, 2024, 06:22:10 PMIf he goes to the Rams is that McVay giving the reach around?r

No,that would be Aaron Donald. Try to avoid the visual.