News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - NCAA National Championship Game

Started by DaveBrown74, January 08, 2024, 08:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Not very competitive so far in the first half. Michigan can run at will.

Penix has not been impressive at all to this point. Had a wide open Odunze which would have been a touchdown but just flat out missed him. Wasn't even that long of a throw. Can't tell if it's nerves or if this is just the first time he has had to face a real defense this year.

Still time for him to get something going but as of right now I don't see him as helping his draft status versus where he was right before the start of this game. People like to see highly touted players make big plays in big games. We haven't seen that yet from him tonight. And it's not like he doesn't have weapons around him.

StompYouOT

Yeah that was my take more or less from the little bit I saw.  Definitely not a Day 1 pick if I'm picking, but he did get them down the field with a nice 4th down TD to make it 10-17.  I will try to watch the entire second half.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 08, 2024, 08:54:11 PMNot very competitive so far in the first half. Michigan can run at will.

Penix has not been impressive at all to this point. Had a wide open Odunze which would have been a touchdown but just flat out missed him. Wasn't even that long of a throw. Can't tell if it's nerves or if this is just the first time he has had to face a real defense this year.

Still time for him to get something going but as of right now I don't see him as helping his draft status versus where he was right before the start of this game. People like to see highly touted players make big plays in big games. We haven't seen that yet from him tonight. And it's not like he doesn't have weapons around him.

McCarthy is not helping himself either.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: StompYouOT on January 08, 2024, 09:34:18 PMYeah that was my take more or less from the little bit I saw.  Definitely not a Day 1 pick if I'm picking, but he did get them down the field with a nice 4th down TD to make it 10-17.  I will try to watch the entire second half.

Yup definitely. Washington made some adjustments and have made it a game now. Good job on their part to get back into it.

We talked about Penix but I'm not blown away by McCarthy either. Doesn't seem like a first round guy to me. And I'm not just basing that on today (although this is not some great D he's up against here).

I wouldn't mind one of these UMich RBs assuming we're moving on from Barkley. Edwards has had the bigger night of the two so far although I've always liked Corum.

uconnjack8

Washington defense is surprising me a bit here.  Thought they were just going to get steamrolled and they have definitely stepped it up to match Michigan. 

Stringer Bell

This game should put to rest any talk of either of these QBs as being franchise-type QBs.

Penix has some of the worst footwork and accuracy while under pressure that I've ever seen.

And McCarthy is a 20-year-old game manager. Certainly not a difference maker in any respect.

uconnjack8

Penix looks like a different guy than every other game I have seen him play this year.  Last game he made every throw, this one he cannot get a completion over 8 yards.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Stringer Bell on January 08, 2024, 09:57:21 PMThis game should put to rest any talk of either of these QBs as being franchise-type QBs.

Penix has some of the worst footwork and accuracy while under pressure that I've ever seen.

And McCarthy is a 20-year-old game manager. Certainly not a difference maker in any respect.
DJ 2.0
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 08, 2024, 10:22:14 PMPenix looks like a different guy than every other game I have seen him play this year.  Last game he made every throw, this one he cannot get a completion over 8 yards.
Pressure corrupts
Absolute Pressure corrupts absolutely
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Both QBs look about as good as Jalen Hurts looked in a title game. 

sooners56

Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

sooners56

If Penix were more accurate this game, the Huskies would likely be winning.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Trench

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 08, 2024, 10:22:14 PMPenix looks like a different guy than every other game I have seen him play this year.  Last game he made every throw, this one he cannot get a completion over 8 yards.

Keep that guy far away from the Giants

spiderblue43

Penix has to be on a team that can protect him. And with his injury history..no thanks. Makes way too off balance throws. He's an awful fit for the Giants.

McCarthy? I think he's just a guy..really like Harbaugh was at qb. Not terrible but neither dynamic.Game  manager seems a perfect description.

Maybe Harbaugh will draft him as his caddie.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 08, 2024, 09:40:29 PMYup definitely. Washington made some adjustments and have made it a game now. Good job on their part to get back into it.

We talked about Penix but I'm not blown away by McCarthy either. Doesn't seem like a first round guy to me. And I'm not just basing that on today (although this is not some great D he's up against here).

I wouldn't mind one of these UMich RBs assuming we're moving on from Barkley. Edwards has had the bigger night of the two so far although I've always liked Corum.
Give ne the Michigan DC, Odunze from Washington, Donovan Edwards from Michigan and the Ol coach from Michigan and I'd be happy. Michigan doesn't seem to ever have a ton of highly ranked oline draft prospects but always has the best or 2nd best oline in college football.