News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - NCAA National Championship Game

Started by DaveBrown74, January 08, 2024, 08:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT39

Been telling you guys time after time. Be wary of Pac-12 QBs. They dont face any defense there.

Plus with Penix - I have said his flaws are very obvious that he cant get away with in the pros.

- not mobile
- iaccurate on intermediate routes
poor footwork
- poor mechanics.

As far McCarthy - he needs to stay and find another school where they will let him air it out. He gets few opportunities during games that every mistake is magnified. He was MUCH better than Penix last night. He is better than Jones cause he is better athlete and has a much better arm. Its a shame their OC has no clue how to call a game.

uconnjack8

Quote from: JT39 on January 09, 2024, 11:11:53 AMBeen telling you guys time after time. Be wary of Pac-12 QBs. They dont face any defense there.

Plus with Penix - I have said his flaws are very obvious that he cant get away with in the pros.

- not mobile
poor footwork
- poor mechanics.

As far McCarthy - he needs to stay and find another school where they will let him air it out. He gets few opportunities during games that every mistake is magnified. He was MUCH better than Penix last night. He is better than Jones cause he is better athlete and has a much better arm. Its a shame their OC has no clue how to call a game.

Which conferences face good defenses?  SEC and Big 10?

Philosophers

Quote from: JT39 on January 09, 2024, 11:11:53 AMBeen telling you guys time after time. Be wary of Pac-12 QBs. They dont face any defense there.

- not mobile
poor footwork
- poor mechanics.

Your last sentence makes no sense.

madbadger

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 08, 2024, 10:27:52 PMPressure corrupts
Absolute Pressure corrupts absolutely

If any fan base should understand what pressure can do to an elite quarterback it's ours. In 2007 the Brady led Pats had one of the best offenses in NFL history but our pass rush made Brady look just like another guy. Penix Jr had no shot last night. No shame in that.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on January 09, 2024, 04:08:14 PMIf any fan base should understand what pressure can do to an elite quarterback it's ours. In 2007 the Brady led Pats had one of the best offenses in NFL history but our pass rush made Brady look just like another guy. Penix Jr had no shot last night. No shame in that.

There is definitely no shame. The kid had an amazing season, and he definitely has an NFL future and potentially a very good or possibly even great one.  I have always felt there were some red flags with him though (which we all know about and have discussed), and as a single data point I would not say last night was great. Even though I fully get that it was just one game, it's the only legitimately top flight defense he faced this year, and he came up small. And not every bad throw he made involved pressure. He sailed some balls way high when he had time. He seemed rattled and not up to the task last night.

I actually think the best situation for Penix is to get picked in the mid-late first round by a team that already has a legit offense in place but is ready to move on at the QB position. Minnesota comes to mind, although they're picking kind of high at 11th. Seattle might be another possibility. Maybe even the Lions as Goff only has one more year on his contract. I think if you stick him on a terrible offense like ours he'd struggle. He has very little to no escapability, and since he already has a major injury history he'd be at a lot of risk behind a line like ours.

FL GMAN

And with all that 2 calls could have changed everything. The holding on the Adunze long con-pletion was bogus. What make it worse was an obvious holding call on Michigan's big gain. That's the brakes but I wouldn't make career calls off of this game.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 09, 2024, 04:19:16 PMThere is definitely no shame. The kid had an amazing season, and he definitely has an NFL future and potentially a very good or possibly even great one.  I have always felt there were some red flags with him though (which we all know about and have discussed), and as a single data point I would not say last night was great. Even though I fully get that it was just one game, it's the only legitimately top flight defense he faced this year, and he came up small. And not every bad throw he made involved pressure. He sailed some balls way high when he had time. He seemed rattled and not up to the task last night.

I actually think the best situation for Penix is to get picked in the mid-late first round by a team that already has a legit offense in place but is ready to move on at the QB position. Minnesota comes to mind, although they're picking kind of high at 11th. Seattle might be another possibility. Maybe even the Lions as Goff only has one more year on his contract. I think if you stick him on a terrible offense like ours he'd struggle. He has very little to no escapability, and since he already has a major injury history he'd be at a lot of risk behind a line like ours.

I agree with almost all of what you have there, but how many of the top 3 QBs in this years draft played really well against top flight defenses this year? 

The PAC 12 certainly is loaded with good defenses and the #1 guy looked pretty mediocre when the competition stepped up. Is the ACC loaded with defenses this year?  I realize its the bigger body of work. 

Really the LSU QB probably faced the best group of defenses of any of them all year. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 09, 2024, 04:28:07 PMI agree with almost all of what you have there, but how many of the top 3 QBs in this years draft played really well against top flight defenses this year? 

The PAC 12 certainly is loaded with good defenses and the #1 guy looked pretty mediocre when the competition stepped up. Is the ACC loaded with defenses this year?  I realize its the bigger body of work. 

Really the LSU QB probably faced the best group of defenses of any of them all year.

Yeah fair point but Daniels definitely did. He was awesome in his game against Alabama. Not only did he not play badly, but he lit it up against them.

Fair point on the others though. Williams struggled big time in ND. He played pretty well in Oregon though (Penix got them at home and on a neutral), and Williams also played well against ND the year before and also well in Utah when they had a good defensive team.

You make a very fair point though. As I said in my post, I wasn't trying to shame Penix and acknowledge that he might have a great NFL future. I just think there are some heightened risk factors with him.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 09, 2024, 04:35:26 PMYeah fair point but Daniels definitely did. He was awesome in his game against Alabama. Not only did he not play badly, but he lit it up against them.

Fair point on the others though. Williams struggled big time in ND. He played pretty well in Oregon though (Penix got them at home and on a neutral), and Williams also played well against ND the year before and also well in Utah when they had a good defensive team.

You make a very fair point though. As I said in my post, I wasn't trying to shame Penix and acknowledge that he might have a great NFL future. I just think there are some heightened risk factors with him.

regardless of last night, even if he looked like Vince Young in a national title game, his injury history it too much for me.  Maybe it's being a Giants fan this last decade or so that has caused me to be very quick to say no when it comes to that sort of issue.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 09, 2024, 04:40:11 PMregardless of last night, even if he looked like Vince Young in a national title game, his injury history it too much for me.  Maybe it's being a Giants fan this last decade or so that has caused me to be very quick to say no when it comes to that sort of issue.

That's how I feel too. Until we can show that we are at least average at keeping guys healthy, I think the team would be asking for trouble to make a big investment in a guy with that substantial of an injury history. Especially after what we have gone through with Jones.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 09, 2024, 04:28:07 PMThe PAC 12 certainly is loaded with good defenses

I am not trying to be funny, but is this a misprint?

uconnjack8

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on January 09, 2024, 04:08:14 PMIf any fan base should understand what pressure can do to an elite quarterback it's ours. In 2007 the Brady led Pats had one of the best offenses in NFL history but our pass rush made Brady look just like another guy. Penix Jr had no shot last night. No shame in that.

Perfect example especially an interior pass rush like they demonstrated.