News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Where do you stand with Brian Daboll?

Started by MightyGiants, January 11, 2024, 01:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I had a discussion with @T200  that sort of veered (as topics tend to do) a bit off-topic, but the new ground seemed good enough to warrant its own thread.    The question is, what do you think of Brian Daboll at this point in time?

I feel like to have a quality discussion, we need to define what makes a good or bad head coach.  Since I lost the previous list I worked on I found one on the internet and made changes where needed.

Good qualities of NFL coaches:

Leadership: Successful NFL coaches possess strong leadership skills. They inspire and motivate their players, and are able to communicate their vision and strategies effectively.

Football knowledge: NFL coaches are expected to have a deep understanding of the game of football, including its rules, strategies, and tactics. This includes analyzing opponents, designing game plans, and making adjustments during games.

Ability to build and manage a good coaching staff: An HC can only do so much on their own, and much of their success and failure depends on the quality of the staff he assembles and how he manages them.  Good HCs identify and develop coaching talent, as success will often create the need to replace key people.

Decision-making skills: NFL coaches are faced with making critical decisions during games, such as play calling, clock management, and personnel adjustments. Good coaches are able to make sound decisions under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.

Adaptability: The NFL is a constantly evolving league, with new rules, trends, and strategies emerging regularly. Good coaches are adaptable and able to adjust their game plans to stay competitive.

Ability to build and sustain a winning culture-  Teams that are consistently successful do so in many different ways, but they have solid winning cultures in their building.

Bad qualities of NFL coaches:

Poor communication: NFL coaches need to be able to effectively communicate with their players, staff, and management. Poor communication can lead to misunderstandings, conflicts, and a breakdown in team cohesion.

Lack of player development: Developing players is an important aspect of coaching in the NFL. Coaches who fail to invest in player development and fail to help players reach their potential may struggle to build a successful team in the long term.

Lack of emotional intelligence: NFL coaches need to be able to manage the emotions of their players and staff, as well as their own. Coaches who lack emotional intelligence may struggle to build strong relationships with their team and may struggle to motivate and inspire their players.

So based on these criteria, how do you feel about Brian Daboll and his prospects moving forward
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

He has tested my patience in a big way this year, and I definitely don't give him a good grade for this year, but I am choosing to remain a believer for now. I thought what he managed to do last year was very impressive, and even though this year didn't go well I am not just tossing 2022 in the bin in a holistic evaluation. I like his energy level and passion, I do believe he is a skillful tactician of the game, and I generally (emphasis on generally) think his relationship with the players is positive.

This year wasn't good though. To be fair, 6-11 isn't THAT far off what I thought they'd do this year (had them at 8-9 I think), but it still wasn't good. The wins were mainly squeakers against really bad teams, and some of the losses were very ugly.

I definitely would not have advocated firing him after this year, and for me personally I wouldn't put him on razor thin ice going into next season (which is not to say there is no chance I'll advocate his firing after 2024). While I think he will have plenty of pressure on him next year, I am not sure I would ascribe some sort of "playoffs or bust" type bar to him automatically. A lot will depend on who the QB is and how that is developing.

I do think the ice is thinning though after this season, but overall I am still broadly a supporter and believer.

londonblue

He has made mistakes and I do have concerns about his management style, specifically his tendency to overreact in the moment but he is inexperienced as a HC. I think might have got trapped into trying too hard and 'pressing' year two after an unexpectedly strong year one.

He has positive attributes, with more good than bad decisions under pressure and a very clear message that the team clearly bought into year one. Even in year two the team played hard to the bitter end though his decision making was more patchy. I don't think his issues with Wink necessarily mean he struggled with leadership, communication or EI in the locker room. The team never quit on him.

I do think Schoen has to give him more guidance/support to develop as a leader. I also think he would benefit from an experienced and trusted confidante in his leadership team with a less 'volatile' personality. Might that be Leslie Frazier?

Year three is critical, not just in terms of wins but also in seeing growth and maturity in how he handles his job.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

T200

Good qualities of NFL coaches:

Leadership: Successful NFL coaches possess strong leadership skills. They inspire and motivate their players, and are able to communicate their vision and strategies effectively.

I'd give him an A- because of the Wink situation. With how the season started against Dallas and the first half of the Arizona game, he could have easily lost the team. Through major injuries all throughout the season, the team didn't give up.

Football knowledge: NFL coaches are expected to have a deep understanding of the game of football, including its rules, strategies, and tactics. This includes analyzing opponents, designing game plans, and making adjustments during games.

B- Some of the games were head scratchers in terms of how they attacked opposing defenses and how the Giants defense prepared for the opposition.

Ability to build and manage a good coaching staff: An HC can only do so much on their own, and much of their success and failure depends on the quality of the staff he assembles and how he manages them.  Good HCs identify and develop coaching talent, as success will often create the need to replace key people.

D - He fired a coordinator, three position coaches, and lost another coodinator. His coaching staff failed to develop (from what I can tell by performance on the field) any of the roster and it showed.

Decision-making skills: NFL coaches are faced with making critical decisions during games, such as play calling, clock management, and personnel adjustments. Good coaches are able to make sound decisions under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.

C- He had some very questionable calls and time management was a problem in a handful of games.

Adaptability: The NFL is a constantly evolving league, with new rules, trends, and strategies emerging regularly. Good coaches are adaptable and able to adjust their game plans to stay competitive.

C It's hard to say how much input he had on the offensive and defensive game plans. As the HC, the buck stops with him.

Ability to build and sustain a winning culture:  Teams that are consistently successful do so in many different ways, but they have solid winning cultures in their building.

INC - It's too early to tell what kind of culture is prevalent. If I had to name it, it would be a 'never give up' culture. The team could have easily lost out and no one would have questioned whether they were deliberately tanking.

Bad qualities of NFL coaches:

Poor communication: NFL coaches need to be able to effectively communicate with their players, staff, and management. Poor communication can lead to misunderstandings, conflicts, and a breakdown in team cohesion.

A To my knowledge, there have not been any reports or concerns about poor communication from Daboll.

Lack of player development: Developing players is an important aspect of coaching in the NFL. Coaches who fail to invest in player development and fail to help players reach their potential may struggle to build a successful team in the long term.

F Not solely on the HC but he is in charge.

Lack of emotional intelligence: NFL coaches need to be able to manage the emotions of their players and staff, as well as their own. Coaches who lack emotional intelligence may struggle to build strong relationships with their team and may struggle to motivate and inspire their players.

B Emotions run high in sports. Having outbursts isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many successful coaches have had sideline outbursts and haven't lost their teams.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Now that someone else answered, I get to answer my question (I don't like to be the first to answer a question thread I post because I don't like to skew results).

Leadership:  Players seem to like Dabbs, and they play hard for him.  That said, the team has had games where they seemed a bit listless and they do seem to be consistently slow to get going.

Football Knowledge-  Dabs seems to be a quality Xs and Os coach with experience on both sides of the ball

Ability to assemble and manage good coaching staff-  The most important coaching positions to fill are both lines and the offensive and defensive coordinator.  After 2 years, he has replaced 2 of them.  The D-line coach is top-notch, and the offensive coordinator is a bit up in the air.

Decisions making-  There is a lot of room for improvement on this front.

Adaptability-  Dabbs seems to be a bit stuck in the Patriot's way.  Not sure that's ideal and if this is by choice or habit.

Winning Culture-  Hard to say that this task has been accomplished successfully

Communications-  That is hard to judge from the outside, but it seems okay

Player development-  This seems to be one of Daboll's deficiencies.  While there have been a few successes, the failures outweigh the successes

Emotional Intelligence-  the Wink saga puts this issue in serious question

I think there are a lot of good but some serious unknowns and bad indicators.  I think it could go either way with Daboll and this upcoming season will be critical.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

He is wayyyyyyy too emotional and somewhat irrational.  Michevelli would have eased out Wink much more subtly in the coming year if he could not swallow some pride himself and heal the most important coaching relationship on the team- Him and Wink

He reached his Peter Principle as a OC.  The Coach of the Year stuff was nice but window dressing

He was hired to put points on the board and "fix" Jones
He has struggled mightly with both tasks

He never rotated RBs and his plays and play calling were conservative if not really poor at times.  Too much Barkley runs on 1st down for no gain
Just too much Barkley period.  News Flash- Barkley cannot be relied on to catch a pass

His choice of Assistant coaches was mediocre and he gave those who obviously were deficient way too much rope

This was his 1st HC job and I doubt he will get another baring an 180 degree turnaround

The ham handed way he ran Wink out of town (literaly), was unsightly
I am still recovering from it personally

We should bring in Belichick or Vrable and possibly offer Daboll the OC job.  He can keep Kafka up in the booth and they can work as a team.
This might be a pipe dream  :suspious:

PS- As I write this I just 40 minutes ago dropped a bag with my MacBook Air in it.  It would not charge or play sound.  I was terrified. Found my
Apple screw driver, opened it up push down on every connection I could find and low and behold its fixed- I need a drink. 
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on January 11, 2024, 01:45:02 PMHe has made mistakes and I do have concerns about his management style, specifically his tendency to overreact in the moment but he is inexperienced as a HC. I think might have got trapped into trying too hard and 'pressing' year two after an unexpectedly strong year one.

He has positive attributes, with more good than bad decisions under pressure and a very clear message that the team clearly bought into year one. Even in year two the team played hard to the bitter end though his decision making was more patchy. I don't think his issues with Wink necessarily mean he struggled with leadership, communication or EI in the locker room. The team never quit on him.

I do think Schoen has to give him more guidance/support to develop as a leader. I also think he would benefit from an experienced and trusted confidante in his leadership team with a less 'volatile' personality. Might that be Leslie Frazier?

Year three is critical, not just in terms of wins but also in seeing growth and maturity in how he handles his job.

Neil,

I like your thought about bringing in someone like Frazier to help mentor and support Daboll.  I did a quick Google search.  Even though he's 64 and on the defensive side of the ball. Frazier seems to be targeting a head coaching job rather than another DC job.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10104405-nfl-rumors-2-time-super-bowl-winner-leslie-frazier-to-interview-for-chargers-hc-job

If he fails to land one of those, I do wonder if he is still interested in returning as a defensive coordinator.  If Dabbs and Frazier had a good relationship in Buffalo this might be a good pairing.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Obsession

Down...down...down.

1.  The Martindale fiasco. Should have been handled the moment a problem is detected.  Management 101 Sparky.....problems DO NOT just work themselves out by putting a little time behind them.

2.  Directly, very directly cost us 4 wins with shaky coaching decisions.  FOUR.  And no, I do not lament that 4 more wins would have made us a playoff team.  We would still be a bottom 10 team in terms of talent even if we were a playoff team. I threw away my rose colored glasses in viewing the Giants after the 1970 season.

3.  FOUR games or roughly one quarter of the schedule we appeared totally unprepared for our opponent.  I have  watched MANY not good Giant teams, including 1966 and NEVER have I witnessed that.

4.  Tommy DeVito benching, for a QB who will be nowhere near our roster next year.  "I felt the team needed a spark."  BULL FEATHERS.  You mean that was the first time you felt this team needed a spark in TWO seasons.  Have you checked your record lately ??  Why not just tell us the truth.  I expect DeVito to get cut next August. Something is up regarding DeVito that Coach Sparky does not like.

5.  More concerned with picking spots for Sterling Shepherd's farewell tour than having a punt returner. Terrible roster decision.

In short, in way over his head.  Think Peter Principle.  And don't get me started regarding his buddy buddy Oline coach.  Took 2 yeaars to figure that out.

HC Sparky got a lot of mileage out of that 2 point conversion opening day in Tennessee. Way too much. The emperor has no clothes.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

AZGiantFan

My biggest beef with him was the OTAs and training camp.  I think they were soft, unfocused (particularly the OL), and didn't prepare the team to compete.  That led to the first game debacle, which set the tone for the first half of the season.

But he held the team together despite the undermining, and for the most part they played hard for him. 

Overall I give him a B-.  I'll be very interested to see if training camp is different next year.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Ed Vette

I can't see beyond game day and decisions visible to fans. I have no idea what goes on inside that building. I don't believe all hearsay because it could be based on one opinion, or to serve an agenda on the part of the reporter.

I know Dabs has had a lot of NFL experience but not from the HC's position. So, I have to give him slack to a learning curve. That said, Mara's Bono/Boso comment became fortuitous and as stupid as it was to say it publicly, maybe it was a message from what he was seeing. Maybe all this is the tip of the iceberg. Still, he hasn't been fired and he has the obvious support of Schoen.

I'm cautious but I recall Dabs had the players over at his house, he danced with them, and congratulates them on the field after a good play. He also gets visibly upset on the field, which is usually a bad thing. Gotta say, I perceived him as a player's coach. I learned a long time ago that it's easier for a disciplinarian to lighten up than it is for a nice guy to become a hard ass from the perception and acceptance of his players or employees. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Does anyone believe that Schoen wasn't aware of the Wink issues? I'm sure he was and so was Mara. I'm also pretty certain that it was discussed and a plan was put in place.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

nb587

I think other factors need to be added at least in Daboll's case.  First, he was a first year coach working for a first year GM.  Second, I am convinced we have a meddling owner even if he's not as bad as he was; to me Mara going public with his thinking about personnel is not helpful even if the pressure is indirect.  Third, a coach working in NY has a different job, in lots of areas, than a coach working in Green Bay.  Last, he inherited a xxxx show of a roster with not available money. This is true for both he and Schoen and should not be ignored. 

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 11, 2024, 02:25:36 PMDoes anyone believe that Schoen wasn't aware of the Wink issues? I'm sure he was and so was Mara. I'm also pretty certain that it was discussed and a plan was put in place.
When the owner's money is involved, best believe he knows what's going down and what it could possibly cost him.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 11, 2024, 02:25:36 PMDoes anyone believe that Schoen wasn't aware of the Wink issues? I'm sure he was and so was Mara. I'm also pretty certain that it was discussed and a plan was put in place.

Former GM Randy Mueller often talks about one of his roles as a GM was to play peacemaker/referee.

In this situation, Schoen may have found that role challenging due to the prior close relationship with Daboll. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

I guess it is new era.  Coaches getting upset is now bad?  I remember people here clamoring for for a certain jaw. 

I am with Ed on this:

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 11, 2024, 02:23:28 PMI can't see beyond game day and decisions visible to fans. I have no idea what goes on inside that building. I don't believe all hearsay because it could be based on one opinion, or to serve an agenda on the part of the reporter.

Dabs over achieved one season and disappointed in the 2nd season. Without being around players and coaches in person it's really tough to say what leadership qualities he has or doesn't have.  I can infer that some were there for him to get to the levels he attained.  Further the team must have some respect for the man given their effort in week 18.  That doesn't mean his leadership is without issues.  No leader is perfect. 

Quote from: Giant Obsession on January 11, 2024, 02:14:57 PMDown...down...down.

1.  The Martindale fiasco. Should have been handled the moment a problem is detected.  Management 101 Sparky.....problems DO NOT just work themselves out by putting a little time behind them.

2.  Directly, very directly cost us 4 wins with shaky coaching decisions.  FOUR.  And no, I do not lament that 4 more wins would have made us a playoff team.  We would still be a bottom 10 team in terms of talent even if we were a playoff team. I threw away my rose colored glasses in viewing the Giants after the 1970 season.

3.  FOUR games or roughly one quarter of the schedule we appeared totally unprepared for our opponent.  I have  watched MANY not good Giant teams, including 1966 and NEVER have I witnessed that.

4.  Tommy DeVito benching, for a QB who will be nowhere near our roster next year.  "I felt the team needed a spark."  BULL FEATHERS.  You mean that was the first time you felt this team needed a spark in TWO seasons.  Have you checked your record lately ??  Why not just tell us the truth.  I expect DeVito to get cut next August. Something is up regarding DeVito that Coach Sparky does not like.

5.  More concerned with picking spots for Sterling Shepherd's farewell tour than having a punt returner. Terrible roster decision.

In short, in way over his head.  Think Peter Principle.  And don't get me started regarding his buddy buddy Oline coach.  Took 2 yeaars to figure that out.

HC Sparky got a lot of mileage out of that 2 point conversion opening day in Tennessee. Way too much. The emperor has no clothes.

You really think the Shepard farewell tour was his idea/choice?  Given that Shepard was drafted long before Daboll was even an OC in Buffalo I doubt he had any sentimental attachment to the player.  I doubt his direct boss did either.