News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Mike Lombardi shares about the Wink saga

Started by MightyGiants, January 10, 2024, 02:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 11, 2024, 11:36:34 AMThe report said Wink wouldn't agree to more years on his contact.  To answer your question, Wink's goal was an HC job.   Turning around an anemic defense would generate more interest in him than just more years in Baltimore, where he has already earned the reputation of being a good DC.   Wink's plan did seem to generate more interest, as he did get another HC interview last off season.
The report also said Baltimore was ready to move on from him.

I get that you have your eggs in the Wink basket but he's far from a victim in this.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

madbadger

Seems to me that Dabs showed Winks the same level of courtesy and professionalism that Winks showed Dabs all year and he couldn't handle it.

What coordinator thinks it's entirely appropriate to abandon the game plan, before the game even started and without consulting the head coach? What do you think that did to Daboll's authority in the locker room. Even worse when confronted with it by a rightfully angry Daboll he tells him to go pound sand in front of the team.

Yet this clown Lombardi thinks it's outrageous that Daboll didn't show Martindale the courtesy of telling him he was firing his best friend.

IMHO that's nothing more than a case of FAFO, and his Sopranos analogy is idiotic. Somehow Dabs was supposed to get rid of Wilks and make everybody think it wasn't his doing by being dishonest. Screw that noise. A real leader takes action and then owns it. The more I hear from this guy the less respect that I had for him and it wasn't much.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 11, 2024, 11:41:01 AMThe report also said Baltimore was ready to move on from him.

I get that you have your eggs in the Wink basket but he's far from a victim in this.

Tim,

I wouldn't say my eggs are in the Wink basket.   My preference was for him not to go because I don't see a real opportunity to upgrade, and you are losing critical continuity.  That said, it doesn't look like Wink was a saint in all of this.

My eggs are in the basket of I have serious concerns about Daboll's leadership and management ability.  Admittedly some issues I have are more preference, but Daboll appears to have violated some cardinal rules of leadership and management.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 11, 2024, 12:52:45 PMTim,

I wouldn't say my eggs are in the Wink basket.   My preference was for him not to go because I don't see a real opportunity to upgrade, and you are losing critical continuity.  That said, it doesn't look like Wink was a saint in all of this.

My eggs are in the basket of I have serious concerns about Daboll's leadership and management ability.  Admittedly some issues I have are more preference, but Wink appears to have violated some cardinal rules of leadership and management.
I guess that's the best I'm gonna get out of you  =))  =D>

I, too, have concerns about Daboll and how he's going to bounce back from this season. I do think he's the right man for the job. He's undoubtedly had quite a bit of adversity to learn and grow from. I trust that he and his advisors will evaluate the season honestly and make the necessary changes to be better in all areas.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

babywhales

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 11, 2024, 09:18:25 AMI think Wink could be described as an anti-hero.  The players love him because he listens to them, treats them well, and puts them in positions to succeed.  However, he also isn't the dutiful follower in the bigger picture.  He will be a pain in the backside to manage because he has a way of doing things and isn't one to go for the Kumbaya management fads.  Managing a guy like Wink takes some management talent, patience/tolerance, and a constant reminder that it's about the big picture, but guys like this tend to get results.
It doesn't sound like Mckiney or Thibs would agree 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S