News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Should the Giants cut Waller?

Started by LennG, January 15, 2024, 04:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coggs

Waller did not impress me this year.  I get it, they had other problems.  So with that in mind, cut him or keep him?  I am fine either way.

spiderblue43

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 15, 2024, 09:48:38 PMEven when he was healthy and catching the ball, I was expecting much more of a warrior out of him. He was more like Larry Donnell and Bellinger had the Bavaro moments.

Wow. Larry Donnell citing. Looked like Tarzan..Even Jane played harder. As tough and competitive as a egg crate.

>:( 2

Messiah717

Quote from: coggs on January 16, 2024, 04:05:19 PMWaller did not impress me this year.  I get it, they had other problems.  So with that in mind, cut him or keep him?  I am fine either way.

Me either and clearly his best days are behind him.  I expect an injury more than a big game. 

DaveBrown74

I'm sort of with Coggs. I'm kind of indifferent. The amount saved (6 and change mil) isn't enough for it to feel obvious to me to cut him, but I also wasn't particularly impressed with him on the field nor do I have any confidence that he can play much more than 12 games or so. Gun to my head I'd probably say cut him and put that savings towards perhaps an O line free agent, but I'm not overly bothered either way. I have stronger views about certain other players.

GloryDays

Schoen has to give a higher value to durability of players they contemplate drafting or acquiring through trade or FA market. AVAIL-ability is very important in a long season and not every talented player has that durability factor.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Painter on January 16, 2024, 02:31:18 PMStill looking for ways to beat that same drum, huh, Jess. Not to worry, we get it. But as if it really matters, Waller actually faired a tad better re targets/completions average in his 5 games with Jones than in the 7 games he played subsequently.

While Jones having been lost for 12 games versus Waller for just 5 is perhaps worth mentioning, they would seem to be separate issues re the question of Waller's cost/performance as is, and as projected.

I realize that every move they make has all sorts of cost implications and constraints, and rarely more so than with the burden of Daniel Jones's $47 million cap hit which according to "usual sources" would still leave them with nearly $50 million in cap room, an amount which would disappear in an eye blink in signing FAs and re-signing their own. We are talking about guys like McKinney and Simmons, not to mention Barkley AND a couple of these FA OGs: Kevin Zeitler, Andrus Peat, Robert Hunt, and Connor Williams. Gotta happen. We can expect a lot of turnover comings and goings before we get to the Draft. And while perhaps it should be, Waller's status has not stood out to me based on 12 games this season one way or another irrespective of who was at QB.

Whether or not we think there is even a slight chance that Daniel Jones, if and when heathy, will or can- after 5 years of trying- prove to be worth keeping after this year, is simply the large animal in the room which we will be forced to study for as long as it takes Schoen/ Daboll to decide one way or ...

Cheers!

What are you talking about? You were so quick to complain that you didn't notice I never mentioned Jones, I was talking about the qb play in general, you know the topic that is being discussed by everyone in this forum? It's delusional on your part to act like we wouldn't talk about the horrible qb play from all 3 qbs not just Daniel jones, when it was one of the 2 biggest factors in us losing this year?

BluesCruz

For Jones over the middle passing tendency, Waller is an ideal target

Outside the numbers both are not ideal
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

WheresDayne

With a new, even though he was here before, strength and conditioning coach, maybe Waller has a better chance at staying on the field.  That being said, I'm fine with keeping or cutting him.

MightyGiants

I wouldn't cut Waller outright.  His base salary next season is $10.5 million.  With Waller's injury history and age, he isn't going to make it near that on the open market.  If I were Schoen, I would tell Waller he needs to cut that salary in half, and if he refuses, I would cut him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

RelaxTension

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 16, 2024, 05:42:42 PMI'm sort of with Coggs. I'm kind of indifferent. The amount saved (6 and change mil) isn't enough for it to feel obvious to me to cut him, but I also wasn't particularly impressed with him on the field nor do I have any confidence that he can play much more than 12 games or so. Gun to my head I'd probably say cut him and put that savings towards perhaps an O line free agent, but I'm not overly bothered either way. I have stronger views about certain other players.
This article claims they will save $12 million if cut June 1st.
https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/1/16/24039387/giants-position-reviews-tight-end-darren-waller-was-good-but-not-as-good-as-hoped
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

jgrangers2

Quote from: RelaxTension on January 17, 2024, 12:09:22 PMThis article claims they will save $12 million if cut June 1st.
https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/1/16/24039387/giants-position-reviews-tight-end-darren-waller-was-good-but-not-as-good-as-hoped

If he gets designated as a post-6/1 cut, the dead cap would get spread out over the next two years. They'd save $12M for 2024 but carry almost $6M in dead cap space for 2025. Cutting him pre-6/1 would save a little over $6M this year but then he's off the books for 2025.

MightyGiants

Quote from: jgrangers2 on January 17, 2024, 12:51:45 PMIf he gets designated as a post-6/1 cut, the dead cap would get spread out over the next two years. They'd save $12M for 2024 but carry almost $6M in dead cap space for 2025. Cutting him pre-6/1 would save a little over $6M this year but then he's off the books for 2025.

Unless you believe the Giants are a sure playoff team in 2024 or, better yet, a championship contender, I am not sure what purpose is served in pushing cap hits into future seasons (which is what a post-June designation does).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jgrangers2

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 17, 2024, 12:57:40 PMUnless you believe the Giants are a sure playoff team in 2024 or, better yet, a championship contender, I am not sure what purpose is served in pushing cap hits into future seasons (which is what a post-June designation does).

I agree. If they're going to cut him, it should be with a pre-6/1 designation. Just eat the dead cap for this year and move on. A post-6/1 designation should be saved for specific situations like you said where the team is set to compete next year and can use the additional cap space.

DaveBrown74