News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Eagles Fans Are Melting Down

Started by Philosophers, January 16, 2024, 09:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

This downward spiral to 1st round elimination must have them jumping off buildings and wanting to run Nick Sirianni out of the city.

Frankly, I really don't like Sirianni.  Walks like he built the team much like Ryan Day for Ohio St.

uconnjack8

10-1 start, 1-5 finish, awful looking loss in the 1st round of the playoffs.   

You can blame some of this on injuries,  but a not a lot of it IMO. 

Philosophers

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 16, 2024, 10:14:40 AM10-1 start, 1-5 finish, awful looking loss in the 1st round of the playoffs.   

You can blame some of this on injuries,  but a not a lot of it IMO. 

With their depth, you can't at all blame it on injuries.  They are a trainwreck

uconnjack8

Quote from: Philosophers on January 16, 2024, 10:31:26 AMWith their depth, you can't at all blame it on injuries.  They are a trainwreck

I think losing AJ Brown (to stick it to the Giants according to some) hurt in this last game, but your point is well taken.   Bill's lost 2 of their best defensive players during the year and still have won 6 in a row

Painter

As bad as was the Cows 29th straight egg face, if not explicable, it was at least not surprising.

But the Eagles complete and utter collapse from defending NFC Champion with a 10-1 start was not just unimaginable but seems almost conspiratorial. I'm not suggesting a plan but by the time they played yesterday's playoff game with the opportunity to recover and reassert, the Eagles players individually and collectively had already quit the entire season. It was almost as if they were mumbling under their breaths, if we can't win all the time, why should we even try?

Cheers!

Symphony Steve

Well, the meltdown was unexpected in Philly.  Here's the thing, though--unlike Dallas, Lurie will not be in denial.

Turns out that last year's OC and DC were real good, and their replacements were terrible.  That defense was indefensible, and the offense was unimaginative.

The one team in the NFC East that could be on the upswing is Washington.

Daboll's behavior at the end of the year scares me.  I guess he deserves one more year, but if the accounts are true, I'd at least be tempted to bring in someone like Vrabel and cut the cord with Daboll.

jimc

I think you have some serious issues if you were 10-1 with a solid stake on the number one seed and then lose 6 out of the last 7. AND...you get blown out by the Giants and get blown out in your first playoff match.  There are way more questions than solutions with the Eagles right now.  Mind you, I'm not totally sad about it.  They have too much talent not to get it fixed, but it's funny to see the fan meltdown for another team for a change.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

Symphony Steve

Quote from: jimc on January 16, 2024, 11:52:04 AMI think you have some serious issues if you were 10-1 with a solid stake on the number one seed and then lose 6 out of the last 7. AND...you get blown out by the Giants and get blown out in your first playoff match.  There are way more questions than solutions with the Eagles right now.  Mind you, I'm not totally sad about it.  They have too much talent not to get it fixed, but it's funny to see the fan meltdown for another team for a change.
I think it's b/c the Iggles fans recognize that it will take awhile for the team to get back into serious contention. Following up a SB appearance with a 10-1 start, despite clear issues with the team, got fans' hopes up, but I think they're realistic that a few patches won't work this time.  Because a few patches was what Howie tried this year.

AZGiantFan

Delightful to see.  Even better than the Cowboys getting crushhed, IMO.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Symphony Steve on January 16, 2024, 11:49:27 AMWell, the meltdown was unexpected in Philly.  Here's the thing, though--unlike Dallas, Lurie will not be in denial.

Turns out that last year's OC and DC were real good, and their replacements were terrible.  That defense was indefensible, and the offense was unimaginative.

The one team in the NFC East that could be on the upswing is Washington.

Daboll's behavior at the end of the year scares me.  I guess he deserves one more year, but if the accounts are true, I'd at least be tempted to bring in someone like Vrabel and cut the cord with Daboll.

I concur, except that I think Daboll is going through a learning curve...not an excuse, just seeing it through a different light and understanding that he's a rookie HC. I believe he should learn to tone it down on the coaches during games, but I am no shrink and  "coach whisperer". He is what he is - ultra-competitive, and a hot head when things don't go as planned. Schoen is fully aware of Daboll's personality and I suspect they've had some talks and things will improve. But Daboll is who Daboll is...as are a litany of past successful coaches in the game who let their emotions be worn on their sleeves and couldn't stand losing

One of the things the Giants have not had in one long time is "continuity"...and it's time they let things play out before blowing up the team every other year. Daboll will come around, and he deserves to make mistakes as everyone does
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

All last offseason, the punditry told us that Howie Roseman was a genius and the Eagles could do no wrong.  It was pretty much ordained that the Eagles would be back to the championship game and were the likely NFC representative in the Super Bowl. 

Everyone ignored the Super Bowl hangover.  Everyone ignored the Eagles were acquiring players with injury and character concerns.  Everyone pretty much ignored the loss of the OC and DC.    They ignored the fact that many of their key players were getting older.

I guess the Eagles didn't tank their last game of the regular season (against the Giants), they simply sucked.  I am looking forward to an offseason that is free of talk about how brilliant the Eagles and Howie Roseman are.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 16, 2024, 12:23:02 PMAll last offseason, the punditry told us that Howie Roseman was a genius and the Eagles could do no wrong.  It was pretty much ordained that the Eagles would be back to the championship game and were the likely NFC representative in the Super Bowl. 

Everyone ignored the Super Bowl hangover.  Everyone ignored the Eagles were acquiring players with injury and character concerns.  Everyone pretty much ignored the loss of the OC and DC.    They ignored the fact that many of their key players were getting older.

I guess the Eagles didn't tank their last game of the season, they simply sucked.  I am looking forward to an offseason that is free of talk about how brilliant the Eagles and Howie Roseman are.

Rich,

I have to admit, I never really thought about the fact they lost the Super Bowl.  That has a rich history of a regression the next year.

I think the OC and DC losses were more than people realized.  In addition I think they made some mistakes with which guys they chose to extend and let go.  Hargrave looks like he was more important to the DL than some might have thought.  CJ Gardner-Johnson is another guy that was lost and it seems to have been disruptive on the back end. 

This year Kelce may be gone and that will be a huge void.  Hurts looked a lot different without a running game and Brown.  Losing Kelce will not help.

Its tough to stay near the top in the NFL.   

babywhales

What a tremendous playoff weekend!!

Eagles and Cowgirls both get completely crushed!

The fans melting down is the gift that keeps giving
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

zephirus

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 16, 2024, 12:23:02 PMAll last offseason, the punditry told us that Howie Roseman was a genius and the Eagles could do no wrong.  It was pretty much ordained that the Eagles would be back to the championship game and were the likely NFC representative in the Super Bowl. 

I guess the Eagles didn't tank their last game of the season, they simply sucked.  I am looking forward to an offseason that is free of talk about how brilliant the Eagles and Howie Roseman are.

I hate the Eagles as much as the next guy, but I would not remove the "genius" moniker from Roseman.  Players play, coaches coach.  The level of talent that Roseman assembled is not/was not the issue.  This feels like it's on the coaching staff and potentially a few players who were/are disgruntled who upset the apple cart.  AJ Brown might very well be one of those players.