News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFL's Lance Zierlein on Bo Nix

Started by MightyGiants, January 19, 2024, 09:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

Gonna go on record now and say I hated Bo Nix at Auburn and what I saw last year of him at Oregon didn't change my mind. The way I see it, he's not a reason a team wins - too careful, doesn't do well when harassed, doesn't elevate his play against good defenses, lack of "big boy pants" throws and he's started for FIVE years so it's questionable how much development is left. Sound like anyone you know wearing #8??

If he's deemed to be the answer,  I think we'd have asked the wrong question.

Disclaimer: Need to watch a whole lot more games and actually study him but my impressions of him are far worse than of the other highly rated QB's in this draft.

DaveBrown74

I have no interest in Nix, certainly not where we're picking or even after trading down several spots. I will study him some more, but right now I would say I don't even want him at 39 either. I think he'll be a middling NFL QB at best.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 19, 2024, 09:57:29 AMI have no interest in Nix, certainly not where we're picking or even after trading down several spots. I will study him some more, but right now I would say I don't even want him at 39 either. I think he'll be a middling NFL QB at best.

I seriously doubt a trade-up is possible (I am less than convinced it's even desirable, considering the Giant's many other needs).   So, if the Giants want to upgrade from Daniel Jones, it's likely to come down to a tier-two QB like Pennix, Nix, or McCarthy.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

We will have Tierney directly coaching both Nix and Penix (another one I don't want in Giants blue) at the Senior Bowl

Bob In PA

IMO Harrison, Jr., is the only sure-fire player worth trading up for this year. None of the top QB's.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on January 19, 2024, 10:31:44 AMWe will have Tierney directly coaching both Nix and Penix (another one I don't want in Giants blue) at the Senior Bowl

I don't know why you don't like Penix, but one thing that struck me-  In an interview, Penix said he didn't even know what an ACL was before he tore his.  Hopefully, he was being hyperbolic. Otherwise, I don't think he meets the smart part of smart, tough, and dependable.   I mean, how could a player in a sport where ACL tears are so commonplace not heard of the ACL?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I've seen several of the Ducks games and as I've said before, don't discount Bo Nix. He's got it all. My reservations would be how he performed against Washington which was good but not spectacular and against Georgia last year's season opener which was not good. He's got an arm, can make all the throws, has learned to avoid pressure and sacks, sees the field well, can escape the pocket and complete passes even across his body to the other side of the field. And he can get yards with his legs if all else breaks down.

I still have more film to watch and there is the combine and Senior Bowl week if he participates. I also like that he risked the draft to go out a winner and supported his teammates in the Bowl game. He also was involved in other meetings besides his own QB meetings and was coaching.

High character, highly motivated and a great teammate.

But what the heck do I know.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gmo11

I would be ok with Nix in Round 2...but certainly not in Round 1.  The big 3 are worth it, even with a trade up, but if they can't make that happen then I think they have no choice but to punt on a Round 1 QB and hope that one of the Tier 2 guys falls to Round 2.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 19, 2024, 10:50:39 AMI don't know why you don't like Penix, but one thing that struck me-  In an interview, Penix said he didn't even know what an ACL was before he tore his.  Hopefully, he was being hyperbolic. Otherwise, I don't think he meets the smart part of smart, tough, and dependable.  I mean, how could a player in a sport where ACL tears are so commonplace not heard of the ACL?

There's plenty not to like about Penix. His injury history. His poor footwork. His subpar accuracy and frantic play when under pressure. His play in a conference utterly devoid of defense.

He's a textbook example of someone who was able to make it work in college but will exposed when stepping up to the NFL.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Gmo11 on January 19, 2024, 11:37:22 AMI would be ok with Nix in Round 2...but certainly not in Round 1.  The big 3 are worth it, even with a trade up, but if they can't make that happen then I think they have no choice but to punt on a Round 1 QB and hope that one of the Tier 2 guys falls to Round 2.

I have no interest in any of the Tier 2 guys - Nix, Penix, McCarthy. None of them are difference makers or franchise QBs. And this team has far too many holes to waste a 2nd rounder on someone who's not the future at their position.

madbadger

There are a couple of things I love about Nix. He's the son of a head coach who was an SEC starter. He's been raised in the game looking at it through the eyes of a father who really understands the game. Two he's happily married so he won't be out partying. Three, he's failed and went back to the drawing board and came back better. Too many guys lack the ability to adapt. That won't be a problem for Nix. You're getting a high IQ player, with a ton of starting experience, with a plus NFL arm and accuracy, who's mature and has a very high emotional IQ. If I'm betting on a quarterback out of the big three in this draft all my money is on him.

Jclayton92

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on January 19, 2024, 09:52:25 AMGonna go on record now and say I hated Bo Nix at Auburn and what I saw last year of him at Oregon didn't change my mind. The way I see it, he's not a reason a team wins - too careful, doesn't do well when harassed, doesn't elevate his play against good defenses, lack of "big boy pants" throws and he's started for FIVE years so it's questionable how much development is left. Sound like anyone you know wearing #8??

If he's deemed to be the answer,  I think we'd have asked the wrong question.

Disclaimer: Need to watch a whole lot more games and actually study him but my impressions of him are far worse than of the other highly rated QB's in this draft.
I 100% agree with this assessment. I don't see anything in him or Penix.

GloryDays

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 19, 2024, 11:05:39 AMI've seen several of the Ducks games and as I've said before, don't discount Bo Nix. He's got it all. My reservations would be how he performed against Washington which was good but not spectacular and against Georgia last year's season opener which was not good. He's got an arm, can make all the throws, has learned to avoid pressure and sacks, sees the field well, can escape the pocket and complete passes even across his body to the other side of the field. And he can get yards with his legs if all else breaks down.

I still have more film to watch and there is the combine and Senior Bowl week if he participates. I also like that he risked the draft to go out a winner and supported his teammates in the Bowl game. He also was involved in other meetings besides his own QB meetings and was coaching.

High character, highly motivated and a great teammate.

But what the heck do I know.

Thank you, I was wondering why all of a sudden everyone dislikes Nix!
I rate Maye as 1, Nix 2 and then a few others with similar values.
There is one lesser known Quarterback that I happened to watch and got to like a lot: Michael Pratt of Tulane. He is considered right now to be a 3rd or 4th round pick. His stocks can change after the Senior Bowl.

With 6-7 upgrades that we NEED TO FIND, and considering DJ's Salary, I think the smarter move is to get a Pratt, on day 2 or 3, let him develop next year while DJ gets another chance, hopefully with a better cast around him.
Behind this mediocre O line and targets who usually can't get open quickly enough, Any rookie QB that we would invest in, is doomed to fail and get destroyed, just like what happened to Jones, imo.

We need to fix the O line (AGAIN!) replace Neal, get a better Guard, if Neal is not good as a Guard either, get another legit target that can get open. That is when all DJ's supporters, including our coach and GM, can get on the same page as others, if DJ still can not deliver and be worthy to be the Giants signal caller, with that kind of a salary.

Aside from that, we need to address the D line to stop the run and place more pressure on the QB.

Not that easy, but quite doable.

Ed Vette

Quote from: GloryDays on January 19, 2024, 04:36:18 PMThank you, I was wondering why all of a sudden everyone dislikes Nix!
I rate Maye as 1, Nix 2 and then a few others with similar values.
There is one lesser known Quarterback that I happened to watch and got to like a lot: Michael Pratt of Tulane. He is considered right now to be a 3rd or 4th round pick. His stocks can change after the Senior Bowl.

With 6-7 upgrades that we NEED TO FIND, and considering DJ's Salary, I think the smarter move is to get a Pratt, on day 2 or 3, let him develop next year while DJ gets another chance, hopefully with a better cast around him.
Behind this mediocre O line and targets who usually can't get open quickly enough, Any rookie QB that we would invest in, is doomed to fail and get destroyed, just like what happened to Jones, imo.

We need to fix the O line (AGAIN!) replace Neal, get a better Guard, if Neal is not good as a Guard either, get another legit target that can get open. That is when all DJ's supporters, including our coach and GM, can get on the same page as others, if DJ still can not deliver and be worthy to be the Giants signal caller, with that kind of a salary.

Aside from that, we need to address the D line to stop the run and place more pressure on the QB.

Not that easy, but quite doable.
Very consistent. Had a tough time against SMU with all those sacks. Did you watch the AA Championship game?

I like Drake Maye a lot and he's probably my #1 at this time.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin